What is this part?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What is this part?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Hickey on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

Can anyone tell me what part this is and /or where it goes. It came off of a 1912/13 T Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 05:50 pm:

looks like the washer that goes under 40's vintage truck headlights for the ball socket to allow for adjustment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

Could it be a aftermarket spring cup that fits under the radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

Has to be aftermarket item. I have a few 11-12 cars and none of them have that item on them. I am guessing the car has some accessory shock tower things near the front spring perches and this cup is part of that item - just a pure guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

And if your car does have those "tower" type shock absorbers, they are not safe at modern speeds. They may be a wonderful display item. However, if you plan to drive the car, it should use either the proper 1912ish Ford front suspension with the addition of a wishbone brace (I prefer the vintage correct type). Or, others recommend an "upgrade" to the later '20s style front suspension.
The reason those early shock absorbers are not safe is that they lose stability as your speed increases. There have been a few very serious accidents at moderate speeds when the front axle twisted back to a negative caster.
If your car does not have those tower type shocks, I agree with others. That does not look like anything that belongs on a '12 T.
How about some pictures of the car? (Silly old us)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

I agree with Michael - radiator spring cups. I had them on my Speedster before the rebuild. These look identical to mine, except that mine were distorted from someone using too much torque a long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

Dave & Michael,

The piece is over 2" in diameter! Where on a radiator would such a thing fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:05 pm:

They look just like the cowl light "washers" from my '26 Buick Which would make them OT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:26 pm:

It also looks like a washer for some type of old truck or tractor light to swivel in as it set on a fender.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration