The Williams Collection , att - Don Watson

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: The Williams Collection , att - Don Watson
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 01:55 am:

Don,

I found the photo's you asked for of Richard Williams garage. They were on slides so I have had to do a scan on them. They were taken in July 1983. What I used to do is put my holiday Model T related snaps on slides so I could show them at club meetings when we got home.

There are more but have not found them yet.

As back ground I was interested to see Richard Williams Town Car which I used for a lot of my detail when I built my Town Car. In those days only one or two of the cars appeared to exist. When I wrote to ask if I could see the car in 1979 His secretary answered that he would be away when we were in the area.

In 1983 when I was on the MTFCI Traverse City tour I mentioned to Bill Bath about the car and he made arrangements for the family to see the it.

When in Detroit Bill and his wife Jean picked us up in their motor home one evening and we proceeded to his place. When we arrived at the area we had to stop at a gate house and after identification were allowed to proceed. After passing Henry Ford 11's house we stopped next door and walked up to the front door. Richard Williams was an heir to the Williams Mennen Co (mens cosmetics etc)

Mrs William's ushered us into the house and after giving the kids a drink we proceeded out through the garage ( where the Model K lived) to this lousy old shed with the cars in it.

You can see how poor it is in the photo's. He was a bit fussy and a note on the door stated "no high heel shoes in the garage" in case they marked the floor!!!. He and his wife were very down to earth nice people.

I only have found an inside of the Town Car photo at this stage. The Model A Ford Town Car was an original low mileage car.

I'll leave the identifying of the cars to those in the know. I hope the photo's are not reversed???

RW01
rw02
rw03
rw04
rw05

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 01:59 am:

Sorry if the photo's are too large and the color has gone off a bit being slides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 06:37 am:

What a magnificent collection. You were very fortunate to get to see them Peter! Does anyone know if the collection is all still together?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 06:57 am:

Warwick, the collection has since been sold by Richard's widow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:04 am:

Great pictures. Who owns the Model T town car today, Jim Finney perhaps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:56 am:

The Model F now sits in my garage. If anyone is interested in acquiring it, let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Several of the cars are now in the Crawford museum in Cleveland. The '09 T and K for sure, I forget what else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

Thanks Peter!
The photos are great,hope you can find some more.
I have been an Aqua Velva Man ever since we learned of the Collection years ago.
Royce
We do not know who owns the Towncar it has disappeared into someones Collection -Jim missed this one

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 03:50 pm:

Tim,
His Coupelet is at the Crawford
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

Thanks Don. The collection is well worth the visit.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration