Replacing a Timer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Replacing a Timer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ian Dean on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:09 am:

Can anyone suggested the most straightforward method of replacing the time on my 1923 T Camionette? Do I need to remove the radiator, are any special tools needed, and how easy is it to re-time it after installation?

So many questions, but the forum usually comes up with the answers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:27 am:

The timer is held in place by a clip that is attached to the block with the end of the clip resting against the center of the timer. This is simply loosened and moved out of the way. Next remove the cotter pin from the control rod which passes thru the timer. Now you have the timer in your hand. Replace wires one at a time on the new timer as they are on the old. The brush is held in place by a 5/8 nut?3/4. Remove this nut and slide the collar off being careful not to drop the positioning pin. Replace and reassemble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:29 am:

It requires loosening one bolt that holds a retainer, 4 nuts that attach the electrical wires, and one cotter pin. Then to swap the rotor it requires removing the nut, retainer and pin from the end of the cam shaft. I recommend opening the hood and looking it over. It is a 15 minute job from start to finish. Just a set of S.A.E. wrenches is all that is required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:32 am:

as far as timing the ignition here is a step by step process.

http://www.spokanemodeltclub.com/how-to-time-a-model-t.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:36 am:

If you change to a different type of timer than what you have, You will need to re-time the timer. New day timers, for example, do not time like an original Ford roller type. The contacts inside the timers are in a slightly different position. The timer pull rod will have to be re-bent if you change types. There is a gauge tool that you can use for the Ford type but is useless for the New Day type and some others. In that case you will need to set timing by piston position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:38 am:

Why do you want to change your timer??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

Ian
Follow Warren Rollins simple instructions.
It is not necessary to remove the radiator and only normal hand tools are required.
You will want to obtain a good quality replacement timer. Be careful of of poor quality reproduction parts for sale. I strongly suggest the www.twcomponents.com timer. They also offer a simple tool with excellent instructions that makes correctly setting the initial timing very easy.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Like Ron, I also recommend the TW timer. It seems to be really top quality.

Bailey
I would imagine that the one he has is worn out. It does happen!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

Ian
Great looking truck, Follow the instructions above you will find it easy and enjoyable to due
when finished.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

Ian:

Two other timers that I thin are also good is the Anderson Timer from FORD AND MORE, Spokane Washington 800-327-1469, and the New Day Timer that you have to pick up at swap meets. Make sure that the New Day Timer is original. I under stand that the repro New Days wear quickly.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

Ian:

Two other timers that I thin are also good is the Anderson Timer from FORD AND MORE, Spokane Washington 800-327-1469, and the New Day Timer that you have to pick up at swap meets. Make sure that the New Day Timer is original. I under stand that the repro New Days wear quickly.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 01:15 pm:

Just watch what you buy. A refurbished orig. Ford timer is better than the new stuff offered if you're sticking with that type that is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bailey Rettig on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

Les,
I also imagine Ian's timer is worn out. It would be helpful to see a picture of the timer after he takes it off of the car to determine what he is dealing with. Also a statement of the problem encountered would be helpful.

Maybe Ian lives close to Olivier Chabanne.

I have seen the TW Timer Ron is recommending and I am impressed. When my Anderson wears out I will seriously consider a TW. Apparently some of the guys in the UK are using them and feel they are superior to the Anderson, New Day and roller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:51 am:

I'm using the TW Timer and it's brilliant !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 03:31 am:

I went to Walmart and asked for a timer
This is what they sold me!

Can some tell me how to install it?
Please

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:41 am:

Timers should not wear out if cared for properly. Ian, since you've never removed the timer previously, it seems logical to believe that you've never known that a timer needs to be cleaned and lubricated occasionally. Your car will run like poo with a dirty timer.

I recommend you clean and lube the existing timer before replacing it. Many of the replacement timers are great paperweights but poor timers.

Click here for how to do that:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/193779.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 03:57 pm:

I just ran over 500 miles with a TW timer and it performed flawlessly. They have a new system for installation that is easy to work with. I am sold on them and am switching the timers on all my T's. I might add that at one point or another I have run several different timers on my cars and while some were better than others none of them are as good as the new TW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Ditto, Val. Have complimented these TW's many times before on previous posts. This seems like a keeper!
And I'll be putting it on my other cars too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J McCathern on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

How do you remove the positioning pin? I am new to restoring T's. I am in the process of restoring my grandfathers 1914 touring. Have read many of the post here and appreciate everyone who comments. Thanks in advance for your help. I will have more questions with other parts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration