Model t speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model t speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

hey guys, I just bought the 1923 ford model t speedster chassis on st louis craigslist, now, where do I go with this project? anyone got any ideas, im thinking english wheel, and some alumiun? starts and runs great, welcome any ideas thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Was it this one? Looks neat!

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4358881605.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 05:41 pm:

Mike,

That looks like a blank slate to me. Find an appropriate body style and start your design work.

I started from a similar point. I started with scrap material to build a floor, then added a seat and established the seating position based on the location of the pedals and steering column (which I lowered). With the seating established, I began to design the body based on the radiator and firewall and moving back to the tail. I spent a lot of time shifting things around before committing to the final shape. Once it all seemed comfortable and right to my eye, I started the final body structure.

Materials and techniques will obviously depend on your skills and available tools. If you have someone you trust to have a good eye, invite them to contribute to the conversation as you develop the mock up.

If building the body you want is beyond your skill set, check with Tom Butterworth for what he can offer. He's built various style speedster bodies.

Walt
http://www.nwvs.org/CarPhotos/033/118NewBody.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 06:11 pm:

I have 2 new speedster body's for sale. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:21 pm:

When I built mine I used cardboard to make a mockup first.
Located the seat like Walt said and duct taped cardboard pieces together till I liked the shape. Then started cutting wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

the front axle set up is a copy of a car in the book"model t in speed and sport", or " model t speed secrets", i for get which, but you should have both books to get your mind set on what you like. have fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:04 pm:

Go to Northwest Vintage Speedsters;
http://www.nwvs.org/
Lots of photos to give you some ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

Bob Bergstadt,

What style body? Photo maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

bob, can you give me a call at 618-401-5977 tell me aabout the bodies thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

Mike, good start on a speedster, I hope it didn't cost you a good corvair though.:-)

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:43 am:

no, lol, i cried him down to $3650 tho

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:55 am:

You're only limited by your wallet and imagination.... But to me I would start with a boat-tail and work my way forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:09 am:

Tell us about the engine!! What gears does it have job the rear? Do you plan on a Warford or some auxiliary transmission? Gotta get some auxiliary brakes for a speedster. Now is the time to fool with anything driving-wise, since there's no body in the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:38 am:

I like the exhaust header and pipe, very similar to mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:54 am:

A speedster can have a very simple body and still look great - but it's easy to destroy the lines with something that clutters it up - have a look at all the speedsters at the NWVS site and get some ideas on what to do and what not to do.. http://www.nwvs.org/CarPhotos/CarThumbNails.shtml

Here are a couple of speedsters with relatively simple to make bodies that I personally like :-)

Ray Verner's
speedster

and Frank Harris #22:
Harris number 22

Wayne Sheldon's red speedster isn't as easy to duplicate, but it sure looks good :-)
waynes cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:21 am:

I sent you some photo's Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:12 am:

Is there any issues about registering a speedster in the US because here in B.C. it could not be registered with open wheels and other than a recognized body style, fiberglass bodies are not permitted. Some do manage by registering it as a conventional body and modifying it later, a bit risky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:00 am:

David,

I wondered about the open wheel thing too when I registered my speedster here in Michigan, U.S.A.

I got the title and registration and have never been questioned by the police about it. Probably 10+ years now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Might also check here; http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/16-Authentic-original-speedster-pic tures

and here;http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/21-photos-of-your-speedster

for ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:43 am:

Washington State passed a law (thanks to the HCCA) quite some time (years) ago that allows open wheel automobiles with the stipulation the body be made of steel (possibly aluminum also). Stiff penalty for driving in inclement weather if water spray is observed coming from the tires by a Law Enforcement Officer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:46 pm:

Enforcement of the "no spray" or "fair weather" rule in Washington is not very common. Steve is correct that it is on the books but I've seen a fair bit of driving in the rain and the only comment I've ever seen was from the State Patrol call a car over for impeding traffic because he had slowed well below the speed limit in a fairly hard rain. He pulled over to let folks pass and no citation was issued. I really don't like getting caught in the rain in the speedster but if you live in Western Washington, you are likely to get wet on occasion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

When I was much younger and lived in California California law allow no fenders if the weight was below 1500 pounds.
Here in Arizona the only thing that the legislature seems to want to regulate is our religion. I see all kinds of vehicles running down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 06:49 pm:

Mike, I've got one speedster without fenders and one with fenders--no contest for speed! At about 55 the T front fenders are like sails. Due to the flexing caused by catching air, I've lost several of the nuts that tighten up that oval shaped bolt that loops on the fender irons. Fenders sure are nice in the rain, though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

Question
I don't see an intake or carb. I enlarged the photos and still don't see them.
Is it just my old eyes playing tricks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:18 am:

well i didnt pay that muck attention to it, but i started it several times, so it surely has to have one lol. it is 12 volts lights and everything works, just need a body, anyone use an english wheel? maybe an aluminum body, love to have one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:20 am:

well i didnt pay that muck attention to it, but i started it several times, so it surely has to have one lol. it is 12 volts lights and everything works, just need a body, anyone use an english wheel? maybe an aluminum body, love to have one

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration