Sedan Top Replacement photographs wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Sedan Top Replacement photographs wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 06:45 pm:

Replacing my 1927 Fordoor Sedan TOP. Does anyone have pictures that would help me replace my top. What is the heavy white cloth and where could I find it. Thank you. Dan Colorado

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

I bought the top kit so the material was included. It was a canvas material that went on first then a foam laid on top of that. Here are some pic's.

I started tacking the top material on center front to back and worked my way to the outside. I used a pair of bender type vise grips to pull it tight as I worked my way around. This was done by myself and it went rather well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:10 pm:

Note that I did not take the canvas or the foam much past the rounded edge of the top wood. I didn't want the canvas or foam to wick water up and under the top. I also used a sealant all the way around under the top material to seal out the water and to have some added holding power. Tack's in hardwood is not a easy thing to do. Many tack just curled so I ended up using a very narrow punch to get the tacks started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

Note also I used a string as a guide to keep my tacking straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:51 pm:

Daniel, a couple of tips you may or may not find helpful. Foam these days tends to break down and crumble. Instead, I use Dacron quilting material like the ladies use when making quilts. It has the advantage of being available in different thicknesses. I use the 6mm stuff [1/4"]. It also is not affected by any water which may find its way under your top fabric.
Secondly, if they are not seen when you have finished the job, stainless steel staples have the advantage of not rusting and affecting the timber into which they are driven, and you can place them with one hand while you apply tension to the fabric with the other.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:44 am:

I don't know if the sedan is different then installing the top on a Coupe, but when I did my '22 Coupe the interior headliner goes in BEFORE you install any of the exterior top material. The interior headliner gets tied and tacked to the top bows in a Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:02 am:

For the top material, warm is better. If you don't have the hot sun available, consider rolling up the car's windows and running an electric heater inside the car. I did my Model A this way and found the top material stretched and formed a lot easier.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration