OT - End of Microsoft Support for XP

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - End of Microsoft Support for XP
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:40 am:

I have been lugging a laptop since 1987, before Windows and mice, and still use the F keys, as they are faster and lower tension than point and click. XP was the last operating system that uses the F keys fully. Office 2003 is the same.

At this point, especially, I don't want to go through the agony of a new OS. Am I alone? Is there an alternative to Window 7?

OT of the OT: I will copy my Model T files to a stick if somebody would like them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:12 am:

I plan to stick with Windows XP until my computer becomes nearly unusable with it, then buy a new computer with whatever the latest version of Windows is at that time. I keep all my files backed up onto a 500 GB flash drive, so moving my files to the new computer will be easy.

My Avast antivirus / firewall software has been hounding me to switch my default browser from Explorer to Google Chrome because Explorer for Windows XP isn't going to be supported anymore. Since my default browser is already set to Chrome and I normally use Chrome, I have been ignoring the messages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:19 am:

I'll continue to use XP, supported or not, until Micro$oft comes up with a decent OS. It's still possible to get a new PC with Win 7 installed which, at least, can be made to look like XP.
There's not a man alive that can run fast enough to give me a computer with Win 8 on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:30 am:

I have tried 7 and can not make sense of it.Of course it was someone else s machine I could not change things on.
From what I understand 8 is designed literally to do away with the keyboard and mouse type machines we use.They want you to go touch screen.Which for me is very awkward as i am clumsy with my fingers.
For the life of me I cant understand why a group of investors cant buy the rights from Microsoft to support XP and allow over 60% of the WORLDS computers to continue operating.The economy is bad enough without throwing this mandatory tech switch on the people.I have a old W98 machine and it feels so good to turn it on once in a while and be back in a familar saddle.But it is very slow to try to do things.But this forum still works great on it.Email still works.and google.But on dial up the slow is something I am used to.
When I bought this machine second hand the guy was going to put the latest Linux software on it.
Linux no longer supports dialup and would not notice the modem.
So it is only logical that the new 7 and 8 windows programs are the same.Another forced change on the people.
And Ricks,how large a flash drive would I need to send? The info and knowledge you have is massive and would be usefull to alot of us.
So I am interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:35 am:

When the old software goes south, maybe it's time to move up to a real computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Running XP without support on the WWW makes as much sense as licking a handrail at Grand Central Station! It's not a matter of IF your system will get infected is a matter of WHEN. The gazelle in the heard with the broken leg is the first to get whacked by the lions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:58 am:

I have used a form of Linux operating system called Ubuntu for many years, its totally free. More details here http://www.ubuntu.com/

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:16 am:

Go to someplace like Dell. You can buy a computer with windows 7 or 8 there for about 400. they will finance you for about 20 some odd dollars a month if you cant buy it out right.

To fool around and hope you will not get a virus is crazy. And you will have problems adding anything new, like a new printer. And you will not get updates. Big problems no matter how you look at it...

If you cant afford the 20 dollar or so a month then I don't know how you can be in this hobby.
Avoid the coming aggravation, bite the bullet and buy a new one..

It stinks but they really do have us over the proverbial barrel..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:31 am:

"If you cant afford the 20 dollar or so a month then I don't know how you can be in this hobby."
I sure hope that was meant to be funny!
If not, I would not wish it on you to walk in some of our moccasins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:31 am:

I ditched my PC and moved up to an IMAC like Jeff. Never looked back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:38 am:

I have a 21" monitor thats great for watching youtube! My little lap top is good to hook up a HDMI cable and run it to a big screen tv.Now I have youtube on 50" Fun watching Model T's and A's on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

My XP set went south last year. Went with a windows 8 Hate it! fast as hell but designed for touch screen, ya sure with my sand paper hands? My computer geek put a start button on it. much better.
A friend had one of the new touch phones with a system like drag on. He could go anywhere fast and talk into it and it would print. I tried it and after about two seconds it would recognize my voice and print. Drag on might be a no hands option for some of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

I'm with John, I converted two of my old XP computers over to ubuntu. They work awesome and most Linux software for home users is free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:11 pm:

Can you go to the traditional look on 8 as you could with the earlier versions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By roy palmer on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

If you are storing important things on your computer then you really cant afford not to update. I would also suggest to you that if you do think 20.00 is a lot to pay a month to prevent this, then you should not store important things on your computer. Many of us do everything on computer now. Pay bills, taxes, etc. almost everything. So that in my view has to be protected as much as possible.

Because if you are storing things that are important and important to you on your computer and things go wrong, you will pay. Believe me I have been thru it, you will pay one way or the other.

I’m not happy about having to replace a dozen computers in my office but you just cant take the risk…

If you just use your computer for fun and to surf the internet and can assume the loss in the worse scenario, then I guess you can take the risk. But even then if a virus destroys your hard drive…you will pay….

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

Is ubuntu protected from virus? Does it use the F keys like XP and older?

I sure hate changing now, as I have maybe only a few weeks more use of my fingers.

Mack, I'll have to do a download to get total size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

I have a netbook running XP and a desktop running Windows 7.
There is no problem 'getting to know' W7 if you are already familiar with XP. It's absolutely fine.......except that you have to buy it.
So, like John Housego, I researched Linux operating systems. It seemed a bit tricky, but I have now made a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu on it. Apart from buying the USB stick ($6) it was absolutely free. It comes with Libre Office which is a free equivalent to MS Office (and it can read and create Office files).
At present, my netbook boots to XP if the USB stick isn't present, and to Ubuntu if it is plugged in. I will install it properly in April.
Ubuntu isn't the same as XP, but it's very simple and easy - and it comes with the Firefox browser so you see no difference when on the Internet.
I read that if you also load a program called Wine, you can also run Windows programs with Ubuntu.

Why is MS alienating the 35% of the world's computer users who use XP? Seems as stupid as stopping production of the world's best selling car and having no replacement available.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Our last computer had windows 7, it crashed and the new one has windows 8. Like Paul Vitko...I HATE IT! It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

John I too have been using Ubuntu for a long time no complaints and their forums are as quick to help as this one and I have never been told to RTM (cleaned up) I even have one computer with no hard drive I installed Ubuntu to a 16gb flash drive and run it from there and I have 4 copies JIC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

I have a dell running XP that I quit using because it took so long to load and would hang up .
I built a really fast tower from parts and am running Ubuntu and Windows on it. I installed Windows mainly for doing my taxes.
Here lately if I leave Windows up for a long time it gets some sort of machine error. Doesn't happen on Ubuntu. I use the Firefox web browser.
The only problem that I have had with Ubuntu is that my printer which is off of my router will stop printing and I have to delete and reinstall it.
The down load for Ubuntu is very large so you will need a high speed internet connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Ricks -Surf City Yes Ubuntu is protected from viruses and the virus software is free (CLAM) Updates are called FRESH CLAM and come in about once a week I have never (Knock on Skull) been hacked I started using Linux when I worked for AOL in '95 and I was the tech that people using AOL with Linux called!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieT on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 01:10 pm:

I too have a new computer with Windows 8 and did not like it at all at first. However, now that I'm getting used to it I'm starting to like it.

For those of you with Windows 8 who want it to look and work like Windows XP, Google "classic shell windows 8" and you will find a lot of spots where you can download the classic shell to make Windows 8 look like to what you are used to. I'm not using classic shell right now but I've read that it may slow down your computer a bit, but then that's the price you have to pay to go backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

This spring Microsoft is supposed to issue Windows 8.2, which I understand will allow you to keep the touch screen set up or change to the more traditional windows like XP or 7. I needed to get a new system for work since my old one was running XP. I figured go with the "latest and greatest" and get 8 (not researching the Windows 8 system)..... Boy, was I shocked when I turned it on. Three months later I'm getting the hang of it, but can't wait to get the 8.2!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:36 pm:

When my old XP computer was new it was the latest thing. Now it is too underpowered to do much anymore so it sits under a pile of spare parts gathering dust, i could never throw it away i like XP too much to do that. The windows7 is learn-able and resides in a newer piece of hardware. Then this hardware dies maybe i will have to try that linux thing in an even newer piece of hardware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

I have a mixture of ubuntu, Win8 & Win7 and FreeBSD (my homemade NAS) at home. If I could I would change them all to ubuntu but my wife has some graphics software that needs to run on W8. I bought her the shell classic conversion for $5 and have noticed no slow down in her computer.

Not sure about the "F" keys in ubuntu. If you are computer savy you can load ubuntu along side XP and then have the choice on bootup (via grub) to select the operating system of your choice.

Thats what I did because I have Autocad installed on my XP laptop and did not want to get rid of it. ubuntu is pretty easy to install if you do some research before hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 03:14 pm:

For those of you that have Windows 8 or 8.1 download classic shell and install. It will make Windows 8 start button in the left lower corner have the same menu as Windows 7 and will force Windows 8 to boot straight to the desktop. I installed it on all my computers and my customers computers. The program is free so there is nothing to loose.

Steven

http://www.classicshell.net/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

I also had XP, and loved it (for a Microsoft product!). But my computer went south and I had to buy a new one. Could only get Windows 8 on the new ones, hated it, and also found out it wouldn't accept my scanner, printer, "photoshop" programs, digital camera downloads, on and on.
Called Microsoft Customer Service for help, and found out the tech guy giving advice was using XP! I think that says something right there.
Every time they come up with an OS that doesn't work, rather than fix it (like they always promise to), they end up inventing a NEW OS which works worse than the previous one!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 04:39 pm:

I put my Windows 7 on a shelf after my pup ate the cord. I fired up this iMac tablet thing and doubt I'll ever look back. Between my iPhone and my iMac I'm covered. I have a small confession, using the older, old computer and an HDMI cable is fun on a 55" screen. Especially Steve Jelf's 'how-to' you tube videos. Last night I learned how to restore a license plate. It was very informative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:20 pm:

Just because Uncle Bill isn't going to develop patches for XP doesn't mean you can't keep using it. Your anti-virus program will be the key and also keeping your system clean. I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops that have XP and have no plans to upgrade. My main computer has Windows 7 and I love it also. There isn't much difference for the user to switch to Windows 7. Just do the same for XP as you would to go for a ride in your Model T. In other words pay attention to keeping it running lean and clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:00 pm:

Until I purchased this laptop running Windows 7 a couple of years ago, I was still using the first computer I bought; a 1999 Compaq Presario running Windows ME and that was on dial up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

DON'T, I REPEAT, DON'T go with Windows 8!! Lousiest OS system Microsoft ever came up with! I still have XP on my netbook, and will continue to use it until it works no more! But I agree with Steve, should really upgrade to a Mac. Except I can't afford one. And also don't buy one of those "all in one" computers (like I have)....lousy performance. Touch screen works when it wants to. Spent many hours over three nights talking to a guy in India trying to get it straightened out, and he finally did, of course only after completely wiping out the computer and "starting over" as though it just came out of the box. What a bitch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:17 pm:

While visiting my granddaughters this past summer, I asked my daughter if she had a newspaper. She said nobody reads newspapers anymore, hear use my phone, then she turned and went back into the kitchen. When she heard WACK!! she came running back into the living room and screamed, "What happened?" I just said, "That fly never knew what hit him."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Foe those of you running Win XP and like it, I wouldn't panic just yet. Even though Microsoft will no longer "support it" after April the anti virus people will still continue to detect and destroy new viruses as they come out. Probably over 50% of my customers are still running XP and I'm telling them not to panic. Only time will tell, but I'm betting that Windows XP will be with us for a long time yet with no significant problems. Get a good anti virus, keep it updated, and scan often or on a schedule. Above all be very careful of what you download.

As for windows 8 most of my customers are not happy with it. I bought an 8 machine so I could I would be familiar with it and better able to repair others. I am not a ludite and enjoy change but Microsoft really stepped in it this time. It's not that Windows 8 is a bad system, the basic engine is really very good. The problem is they tried to be all things to all computers (phones, tablets, laptops and desktops) and you can't always treat all things equally. The reason so many hate Win 8 is precisely because of those features that were put in to make operation on a phone or tablet easier. Unfortunately thy often make navigation on a desktop or laptop harder.

If you don't think this is right, check the sales figures for Win 8 based PC's. Last I heard they are off 25%! That's huge and it has Microsoft scrambling. They bought out 8.1 to help, shortly they will be bringing out 8.1 update to bring Win 8 even closer to the old desktop/laptop interface.

Microsoft has already announced Win 9 (Due NEXT spring) and said it will regress even more the direction of the familiar interface.

Her's what I'm telling my customers. If you have XP and like it, keep it and wait and see how well it functions in the future. If there is a serious problem - you can up grade then. BUT .... BACKUP your data! If you know or are willing to learn how to do an image backup - even better.

If you want to upgrade now, Windows 7 is a fine system, perhaps the best Microsoft has done so far. If you've used XP, using Win 7 is very easy to transfer to - a gentle learning curve. HP and a few other manufacturers are still selling new systems with Win 7 on them.

If you enjoy a steep learning curve and tinkering along with the occasional frustrations, go with Win 8, it's basically a good operating system with a bad interface. In engineering we had a thing called the "look right" test. When you were done designing a project, you all stood back and said "does it look right?" I think Microsoft failed to do this with Win 8.

Me? If I wasn't in the business, I would wait for Win 9.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

It is not the cost of a new machine that makes or breaks it for me. Allthough I admit I dont want to dump 100's of dollars in a machine just because Uncle Bill wants another house on the hill.
It is the idea these companys have that it is fine to shove this new,hard to get used to software on people.It is designed for young people that adapt easy to it. The fact is it is hard for me to adapt to it because of some brain injury related issues.Some stuff I cant learn.I have to read and study for some things I do each time I do them. It took me several months to use what little of XP I use.
I still have never used Word and could really use it now because I am trying to write a motion to file in federal court and my complaint.Not easy using email layout and then having someone else move it over.

I was lost on that win 7 lap top I tried.Just had to put it down and say forget it.
I will eventually have to go to something different but it will be drudgery and aggravating for me.And I am afraid these new formats will not use dial up.And that will really mess me up as I have 3 old computers and the typical wireless high speed doesnt work in this area and the high speed over the phone requires modems.I guess I could tote the modem from 1 machine to the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:26 pm:

The question for me is not the cost of XP vs Windows 7 it is the cost of the software.
When I got my last desktop it came with Vista and I soon learned that it was going to cost me three times the cost of the computer to upgrade the software to work on the new system so I "downgraded" to XP and have been happy.

The laptops are a different story - they went thru the Vista (better known as CRAPSTA) stage and due to upgrades etc. and are now Windows 7.
The only program I put on our Windows 7 computers is MS office because I refuse to spend another $900 for programs that work and I already own.
- And $900 is the upgrade price - if I bought the programs outright it would cost way over $2,000

I feel cheated and I can't even keep my doctor! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:11 am:

In many cases it's not just a matter of updating to 8 not all machines will support it. I went to the Mricosoft site and ran the program to see if mine was compatible, it's not. For now I'll run XP on my Dell desk and keep my anti-virus (Norton and Malwear) updated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 03:43 am:

All of this may as well be written Chinese, I don't understand any of it, and probably never will. If and when this system shuts down, I guess I'll just have to get my grandkids to figure it out for me. I know change is inevitable, but I don't understand why the powers that be have to keep fixing things that aren't broke! JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:35 am:

I agree with Steve. Was a loooong time Microsoft/Windows user and switched to an Apple. What a difference!!! Never crashes, no viruses, faster than a speeding Model K (with apologies to Rob), a ton of memory. I run a little studio in my home office for voice-over recording using my desktop (used but refurbished by Apple)as the processor. Those recording programs take a lot of memory but the Apple takes it all and never slows down. With my old PC, constant slow-downs, shut-downs, viruses, etc. I will never go back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:37 am:

Bought the wife a new HP last night it had windows 8 I figured she would use it for a couple of weeks at least... she came upstairs after an hour and told me she wanted XP or Linux with wine NOW and she wanted that POS operating system off her new machine 4 hours later (YAWN)I went to bed 04:00 Comes early when you don't hit the sack until 00:30

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 10:01 am:

The richest man in the world got there by anti-competitive practices. He got XP too good, reducing the need for newer and better, so he stirs in some changes, and forces the newer on the hardware manufacturers.

The biggest competition for a new car is last year's model.

If you think the greediest man in the world will lie around and let 35% of the market go free, you are too hopeful. For all we know, he could have a fleet of Russians working on viruses to kill XP.

As for me, I need just a few more weeks, maybe months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Ricks,you hit the nail on the head.That is the exact theory I have about the issue.
Anitvirous software,think about it,they come up with solutions and patchs so quickly.That is probably because the employees go home and write the virus and then go to work and write the antidote for it.
Kinda like the firebug joining the fire department.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:30 pm:

You don't need SP1 or 2 for WIN8 to boot to the good 'ol desktop with which everyone is familiar.
All you need is that >>> http://www.rocketdownload.com/program/start-menu-8-487118.html
It's free and CRAP FREE.
Once installed your WIN8 machine will boot directly to the desktop.
WIN8 SP1 gives you the option to bypass the crappy tiled desktop although it's not enabled by default.
I've installed start-menu-8 on a number of WIN8 machines and it works like a dream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

I have a couple questions.
IF I decide to buy a new computer does the win 8 come on a desk top machine?
Reason I ask is because I got a email from microsoft and all it shows is funky looking little laptop things and what they call a all in 1.
All that means to me is is no floppy disk for my older sony camera and no memory card slot for my newer 1. 2 things I use alot.
Also means small keyboards that are hard to operate and touch screens.IF touch screen is the last way to use a computer, then count me out.

These 3 older computers all have ports for memory sticks of all kinds and I love it.There is a G Allis Chamlers in the shop apart now.The owner took pics with his camera and we can just pop the card in the computer and look at them to aid in reassembly.

Another question.Will Windows 8 support dial up modems? When I got this older machine used,the shop was going to load a Linux software on it. but it would not work for me because it did not recognize the dial up modem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:09 am:

Mack.......you need to closely study what hardware and how many open slots a new computer will have.
My fairly cheap WIN7 Lenovo came with all the memory card ports I will ever need.
This will address your modem concern >>> https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=windows+8+compatible+dial+up+modem& sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

While you still HAVE a computer with a floppy drive I strongly suggest you get all the information off those things and write it to CD's...not ONE but TWO.
Where did you get the idea keyboards are smaller?
Plug in any keyboard you want.......including the one you are using now if it's a USB keyboard.
Any WIN machine you buy is going to come with WIN8 installed.
Once you get rid of the horrible tiled interface and get back to the old fashioned desktop environment everyone knows it's the best WIN operating system ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:22 am:

...or move up to something easier to use. What's all this left-click/right-click nonsense?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:40 am:

Microsoft doesn't support DOS, Windows 3.1, NT4, or 2000 either, but I've got all those operating systems still working happily. Never any problems.
Who cares if MS doesn't support them? What's that got to do with it?
What support does anyone actually need from MS?
In fact, I make sure everything I know of that accesses MS is turned off.

The only limiting factor with older operating systems is internet usage. Problem is more and more bloatware and 'weird stuff' is being written into web pages. When the people who create browsers stop making them for the older operating systems, then the limitations become apparent.
Happily, this forum still works with Netscape and Windows 3.1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Spoiler alert!

FORD has stopped support for Model T Fords 1908-1927

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 10:52 am:

I tried to use a laptop with Win 7 on it and the keyboard was tiny.Also the little things that look like games the touch screen keys are small.
I aint sure if this keyboard is the round 1 or usb.
The floppy drive is needed for 1 of my cameras.A old Sony.I love that thing.it is big enough I can hold on to it and the buttons are easy to use.
My newer 1,that I got in 2000,is ok but the buttons are smaller, harder to work.

Thanks for the link to the Modem.

Steve, a good friend of mine has been useing Mac for many years and loves it.I tried 1 of them years ago and not to hard to use.
I like that keyboard.Looks simple

Jerome,Ford has not stopped drawing royalty's off using their name on new T parts though! So they cut support but not the purse strings. :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

I have been trying to keep up with computers since about 1968. We went to the Computer Science Building basement at UC Riverside and typed our Fortran Programs onto punch cards in key punch machines. We then turned in the punched cards (one for each line in the program) to a computer high priest operator behind glass windows. The operator (behind locked doors) would feed the deck of cards into a card reader, and the computer (an IBM 360) would attempt to compile your program and run it. We would return in 3 to 4 hours, and the deck of cards would be in the "outbox" with the computer printout wrapped around the deck of cards. We then usually found that we had an error message, something like: line 58 - missing parenthesis! We would then retype the offending line onto a new card and resubmit the program and repeat the process.
Well, things have changed since then. I now use Windows 7 on our two home Dell computers. We did have XP but changed both computers to Windows 7 recently. To do this we enlisted the help of a computer repair store. Although I have changed operating systems before, it is not an easy task, and this way we have a guarantee that they will work Ok. I would not recommend doing it yourself w/o having considerable experience with such things. The comments that I see on the Internet say that Windows 8 is pretty much of a total loser. So I am not going there anytime soon.
A couple of things that I have learned over the years:
1) Do not jump right on the latest and greatest computer technology! Wait until the verdict is in. Let them work the bugs out first, so you are not the victim of unproven technology.
2) A quote from one of my students: "Never start on a computer problem on a Friday!"

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration