Crankshaft fan belt pulley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Crankshaft fan belt pulley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Last night, we installed the crankshaft fan belt pulley on our 1922 engine. Once the crankcase was installed, we found that the pulley had a significant rub on the rivets holding the front plate to the crankcase. The fan belt will never go on. The pulley that was installed is about 3 1/2" diameter, which I had thought was the correct pulley. I noticed that the vendors sell a 3" pulley, which should give plenty of clearance. Yet the vendors say the 3" pulley is for 1919 and earlier pans. I saw in Bruce McCalley's book that in December 1919 the fan pulley was changed, but didn't see a change in the crankcase. Could I have an earlier crankcase? How can I tell? The only way that the larger pulley would work is to completely remove the rivet, I don't want to do that, so I'll have to find the smaller pulley.
Thanks
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Any way to post a photo of the c.c. nose ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:55 am:

Here are the early and later pans. The one with the short nose is from my 1915 roadster. The pan with the long nose of from a 1923 engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:00 pm:

I used the wrong words. I should have said the narrow nose is earlier, and the wider one is later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:00 pm:

You should be using the 2ed one shown by Jeff for a 22. If you are using the narrow nose pan and want to keep it you are going to need to get the smaller pulley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

Here's a picture of the front of the pan.

Look's like Steve 1915 pan.
Thanks
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

Another difference is that the later pan has a reinforcing curl along the edge and the earlier one doesn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

Steve,
The narrow nose pan that you have for your 15 is really correct for a 13/14. The 15 narrow nose pan has the reinforcing curl like the later pans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 01:30 pm:

les! I've been in t"s 40+ yrs. never seen a narrow nose pan with the curl on the edge??????? charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration