Looking for a 1914 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Looking for a 1914 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:46 pm:

Well, since I cannot post on the classifieds, I figure I may as well post a wanted ad here! I lost out on another bid, so I am once again looking for an unrestored or older restoration 1914 Model T Touring with the original engine. If anyone knows of one sitting in someone's barn or garage, please keep me in mind. I'm so tired of getting my hopes built up and having the car sold from under me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 12:52 pm:

BTW my phone number is 586-752-0624

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 03:17 pm:

Rats! I was really hoping that last one was going to work out for you.
Once again. Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 03:34 pm:

Bob - It took me three years to find my '14. I was looking for a driver quality '14 at a reasonable price and didn't want to drive over 1,000 miles to see / buy it. Perseverance paid off and I finally found mine....you will too.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

I know of an all original 13 touring car here in CT, the owner is a friend of mine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

Spencer, can you send me an email? I'm not opposed to a '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Bill, nothing else down this way yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

Bill I just sent you a pm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Bill,

I'll ask around and keep on the lookout for a '14 Touring for you. It's just getting around to the selling season and I can't help but believe that if you keep networking and scanning Hemmings and maybe do a little classified advertising, you'll come up with a few nice candidates.

As for the MTFCA classifieds: When I put my ad in there, I was in touch with the gentleman who sold me my '15 within two days. Yes, there were a few obvious scammers to filter out, but that was so easy, it was actually humorous. I'll send you a PM with the silly details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

Not to cause too much of a thread drift, but...
since we are writing about locating a 1914 T, and the folks on this Forum are so helpful in so many ways, I'd like to throw this out...

Our local Audubon Society is celebrating their 100th anniversary this year, and because the event coordinator knows I have a T, she asked if I knew anyone who had a 1914 that could be used for a display vehicle during their celebration....yes, in New Hampshire - anyone know of a possible vehicle? Her letter to me:
"We are specifically looking to use it on Sept. 20 for our annual meeting and festive gathering, which will likely be in the Newfound Lake area. We are still working on the details of the location. I donít know if date and location will make a difference for folks at this point, but I figured Iíd throw that out.
Ruth A. Smith
NH Audubon Centennial Coordinator
84 Silk Farm Road
Concord, NH 03301"

If this post offends anyone, please write to Chris and ask him to delete it...I won't be offended - I'm just trying to help a worthy organization as well as promote our autos.

Sincerely,
Dave
PS my '15 engine was made in December of '14, but I'd like to help Ruth find a complete '14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:45 am:

Sorry to hear that, Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 08:22 am:

Bill, I'm sure you've been looking at several places, other than E-bay, like Hemmings, cars-online-.com, etc? Or of course, just plain ol' Google "1914 Model T Ford for sale" and see what comes up? There was a guy in Massachussetts with a pretty nice looking '14 a while back I found on one of those sites. Not sure if it's still for sale or not. Just some random thoughts here. Keep looking, you'll find one. If I come across something, I'll pass it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 08:54 am:

Thanks for all the support, guys! I know another '14 will turn up sooner or later; it's just that the two that slipped away were so darn nice! Mostly original and complete, and priced about right. I really had my heart set on the one in Warsaw, Indiana. It had sat in a local museum for 35 years and then was sold at auction in 1970. The guy who bought it gave it a tune up and a new paint job and some tires and drove it for a year or so. After he died in 1971, his widow put the car in a block garage where it sat for all this time. I saw the car in May of last year, and had been toying with the idea of buying it all this time. When I finally got my wife's permission to buy it, the car was already sold to someone from Bloomington, Indiana. The crazy thing is, the car wasn't actively advertised (he posted on our classifieds a couple of times) and every time I enquired about the car it was still for sale. Then, when I'm finally gonna pull the trigger, it sells only days before! Go figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 11:01 am:

The fact is, you can't hesitate. You have to make a judgement, get a clear sight picture, and pull the trigger. Good original cars are snapped up very quickly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

Bill,
I have a friend in the San Diego area that will be offering for sale his 14 touring. The car has not been advertised yet as he is in the final stages of a complete engine rebuild including a new Scatt crank. The car is an older restoration....not a build up car. It may cost more compared to what you possibly may find....but it is a car that will be ready for touring. I have been on tours with the car. Send me an e-mail if interested and I will put you in contact with the owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

Bill Elliott:

Give me a call at 303-774-9246.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

I think Ed in Californiais right. You need to be decisive and that means you need to know, in advance, what it is you want in a car.

It'd be good to have a mental list of "show-stoppers"óproblems that would absolutely break a deal for youóthings like a seized engine, bent frame, etc., but you can afford to take your time about rejecting a car. What you cannot afford to do is take your time about recognizing accepting and pouncing on the car you really want before the next guy does.

When I bought my car, I didnít haggle on the asking price, or make a too-tight offer and let the seller sleep on it because I was afraid some other guy would give the seller his full asking price and buy the car out from under me. Yeah, I probably paid five-hundred or a thousand bucks more than what the car was actually worth, but Iím not a horse-trader and Iím not in the car business, so I didnít need to crack a profit-nut. What I wanted was a good, headache-free car that needed nothing and was a dependable daily-driver. This car wasnít perfect. The paint was just okay, the upholstery, though unripped, was overstuffed and had a few popped buttons, and the top had some minor rips on the inside lining, but mechanically, it was extremely strong, had bronze instead of Babbitt in the rear end, a fresh engine and tranny, etc. Truth was, like you, I really wanted a í14, but this í15 had everything else I wanted, so I pounced and handed him his asking price, in cash, on the spot. The papers were all signed, the car was mine and no interloper would be able to yank it out from under me for a few extra bucks.

I think, though, that more important than it is to strike like lightning when you see what you want, you need to recognize the car you do not want. Itís far worse to buy the wrong car than it is to miss out on a good deal, so youíre still in a good place. Model T Fords in the 1909-1912 range are fairly rare and awfully expensive. A 1913 is in that iffy range in between and its structural weakness (in the case of a touring body) might actually make it less desirable than the much more plentiful and less expensive 1914, which is, after all, what youíre after. Theyíre not rare. Youíll find one. Keep looking, keep advertising, keep making phone calls. Itíll happen sooner than you expect.

Hey look: In the time it took me to write this reply, two more possibilities just presented themselves to you right here on this forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Don Lang is currently advertising an original 14 roadster for sale in the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

I believe he posted it a "sold" pending deposit.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration