1926 Switch Assembly for Non-Electrified Cars and Trucks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1926 Switch Assembly for Non-Electrified Cars and Trucks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

Ok guys, have I got this right or not?

I assume that the pin type of switch was also used, but until I hear for you guys I'll just assume that the bend over tabbed one was the only one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

Thanks for your effort, Looks great!
I have repaired three 26/27 switches with bend over tabs and one with the pin type, but since I picked parts from a lot of switches the pin type parts may have originated from an older switch?

My 26/27 non electrified Ford switch has three cables coming out of the dimmer, one with white tracer threads going upwards and two going downwards, the one closer to the switch side with light (&dirt) colored tracers & the one further from the switch with green colored tracers. Don't know where to connect them? Anybody?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:49 pm:

Martin: I did not see this post before I posted some pics of a non starter switch to the other thread of electrified 26 27s. The pics are there for this switch. Looks like you have it right to me. Roger My junk switch only has 2 wires coming from it. What may be a 3rd wire just appears to be a short termination of 2 wires, but it may have had a longer pigtail theat has broken off. Hard to say. Ill repost the other pics here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

switchswitch 2switch 3switch 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:54 pm:

Martin: I think this switch may also have been used in early 27 but not sure. Also I think trucks still used the rectangle shaped earlier style switch panel , but ask around about that as I can be corrected on that .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

Ford literature also shows that the non-electrified Switch panels were painted Black and not Plated for the 1926 and 27 year models.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:53 am:

Did Ford offer a non starter car in '27? I don't think they did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

Fred the example I had was a black painted switch panel, with white lettering. And judging by the rust on Donnie's switch you can see what appears to be black paint peeking from under the rust.

But you say this switch was only for the cars? Hmmm, but weren't trucks built like the cars with the gas tank in the cowl? If so there would be no way you could see a firewall mounted switch...and the coil box would still be on the engine right? It would just make sense they bolt up this one in the place of the ammeter, since there is already an indentation for it anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:25 am:

Martin" and Fred: There is (or was) a nickel plated non starter 1926 style switch on e-bay recently. The gas tank was under the seat in TT trucks, They also never used the "improved" fenders or hoods on them They all had the 18 to 25 style fenders and hoods, with low or high hood depending on year of TT. The switch plates for TTs are the rectangle style. There also is a special bracket to mount it on if you had a chassis only and built a wood body. Ill post a pic of it when I get back to the shop in a couple days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 06:47 am:

Donnie, I saw that one too (and downloaded the pics), but it looked more like a cheap chrome plate job to me...nickle is generally more argent looking and less cyan (chrome has a cyan cast in direct sunlight).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:17 am:

I do not know how to do links, but the one on e-bay is still there. It is auction # 360865478005 or key words 1926 Ford Ignition Switch Block should find it. I was wrong about the nickel plate. When looking closely at the pics it is definitely painted. The reflections from the flash made it look nickel to me at first glance. It also has three wires out the back as someone else stated earlier. My rusty one has 2 wires so one is probably broken off on mine. Martin are you familiar with the dash bracket for mounting the switches on starter cars and trucks that were sold as chassis only or used on TTs. I have seen at least three different styles of them. I believe there is a photo in Bruces book, The Car that Changed the World. It is on one of the Chassis photos. I do not have my book with me so Im not sure if it was that book or some other book. Let me know if you want photos of them I have at least 2 different styles and may still have 3 different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:23 am:

"I do not know how to do links"

Just copy and paste.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:44 am:

I have some of those dimmers if any one needs them,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:53 am:

Here are pictures of mine, still don't know which cable to connect to where from the dimmer coil:

cheap switch

cheap switch from the rear

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:52 am:

Roger,

One goes on bright on the 5012C switch...

One goes on dim on the 5012C switch...

and the third goes to the 2nd in from the right terminal strip when facing the strip straight on.

Somewhere John R. explained how it worked but my luck with 'search' on this thing is worse than no luck at all! My mind could be playing tricks on me...but something tells me that if you think of it as a center tap AC transformer it starts to become clear on how it works.

Don't trust me, but play around with it and dump a train transformer through it maybe. Funny how lots of guys can show pictures of the switch and dimmer block on the same panel mounted...but danged if they are wired! That part is even more curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 09:50 am:

Bob: Send me a PM. Im interested in the switches. Let me know how much and how many. Ill also be at Chickasha. spaces SL 12-13-14. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:53 pm:

Here are the pics of my dash panels for chassis and wood bodied trucks. One is early style and the other is 26-27 style. The third style I have seen is just a flat plate stamped out for the instrument panel and bent to shape. There are no reinforcing flanges to the edge of the panel. I think that is the way the repros are made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:56 pm:

IMG_8911.jpg IMG_8917.jpg IMG_8916.jpg IMG_8913.jpg

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration