1915 and 1916 unique parts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1915 and 1916 unique parts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:27 am:

A recent thread on an unrestored 1916 started to drift off course. To capture the data more concisely I've set this one into motion.

Here is a comparison between original 1915 model year rear fenders (top) with a 1916 model year rear fender. Neither style has been reproduced to my knowledge.

1915 rear fenders(approximately December 1914 - June 1915):

1916 rear fenders (approximately June 1915 - June 1916):

Notice how the 1915 - 16 fender stamping is nearly flat laterally between the rolled reinforcing beads. The 1917 and later rear fenders are crowned across the center, and are somewhat narrower overall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:53 am:

Billed front fenders with four rivets began to appear in 1914 model year, perhaps late summer of 1914. This style continued through perhaps June 1915. Notice the typical cracks around the rivet holes:

Compare this to the three rivet front fender that was used in the 1916 model year, perhaps beginning in early summer of 1915:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 11:20 am:

Royce -- Rootlieb is reproducing the '15 rear fenders, and they're nice. I've not seen any '16 repro's. My March of '15 Touring had the '15 style (3-rivet) front fenders, with no indication that they were not original to the car. Maybe the timing of the change from the 4-rivet to the 3-rivet depended upon what stock of 4-rivet fenders were on hand at each assembly plant. At any rate, I believe it was very early in the '15 model year for most locations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

I recently ordered and installed a set of rear '15's on Diane's Fire Chief's rig. After some simple manipulation, the backing plate for the mounting bracket started to pull apart and one could clearly see the rivets had been only slightly squished. I removed both fenders and re-squished all of the rivets in my 12 ton press and re-aligned all - nice and tight now.

Another fellow forum contributor informed me of the same issue (I forgot - old timer's) he had several years ago regarding the same problem - he removed each rivet one at a time and replaced with a carriage bolt & nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

When I ordered my fenders for my '16 from Rootlieb in 2005 they asked if I wanted 3 or 4 rivet. I said "What ever is 'Correct'". I got 3 rivet. My front fenders are showing signs of loose rivets as well. I checked one of my original fenders and it is a 3 rivet.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

I have some correct repro fender rivets, if you need some Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

Thanks Steve - that give gives me an excuse to come over and visit one of these days :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

Steve -- Thanks for that heads-up. I haven't installed (or painted) the ones I bought some time ago for my Coupelet. I'll be sure to "pre-squish" them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:52 pm:

You bet fellas !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

I recognize that! I think you have my wheels... ;)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration