Estimate of value on Roadster?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Estimate of value on Roadster?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:19 am:

Hey guys- I am looking at a '24 Roadster with all rebuilt mechanics: engine, rear end and trans, new generator and starter. The color is not black unfortunately- what do you think a fair price would be for that era car all rebuilt?

I am torn on value,
Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:29 am:

You didn't mention body condition other than the wrong color. Without seeing anything, my guess for an opening bid would be six grand tops. Some clear and detailed pictures would help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:32 am:

The body is good solid sheet metal- no rust, but just the wrong color- has reciepts for all work done. Aluminum pistons, new valve seats, Kevlar bands, bronze thrust washers, etc. No pics handy- sorry.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:37 am:

I'd be happy with a range of prices as well.

Thanks- Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:59 am:

New Radiator? New wood wheels? Without pics its hard to say. Condition of body wood?
A 25 Touring is being advertised here in Texas as a rebuilt original car with a good running engine and etc. But after you look at the pics you begin to wonder when it has Model A headlights or something similar. I guess the owner doesn't know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 10:37 am:

If you can live with the color, perhaps $8000, if not deduct the cost of a repaint. I've been told I am on the low side of prices, but that's all I'd pay for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 11:14 am:

Yes, new radiator, wood spoked wheels were refinished but original wooden wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 11:18 am:

I noticed there is a '25 Roadster on Ebay without any rebuilding for $8400 and some cents- so my supposition was maybe $11K with all mechanical receipts? Does that sound about ballpark?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 11:22 am:

James Chochle:

I would say around here That $5,000 to $6,000 would be very close. I have recently seen two nice 25 coupes go for $6,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:32 pm:

$11K sounds right for a good usable '24 runabout. A coupe would be less desirable and cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

I just assisted in a deal in the Seattle/Tacoma
area on a '24 Touring - known mechanical history with very good running engine (complete rebuild in the last approx. 10 years, Ruckstell, Rocky's, distributor, newer top, good body wood & solid wood wheels with fair tires - not the prettiest girl at the dance but real reliable - $ 7 K out the door ! Went to new member to the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

If anybody is interested there is a 26 Tudor sedan on Austin Tx. craigslist that appears to be an original car. Going by the pics it is pretty close to being a real barn find. And pretty much complete. Don't see them like this often.
Hate to see a hot rodder get a hold of it.
Not connected to or know the seller. Just passing along the info on an original car that hasent been touched going by the pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

Once again, LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION, prices vary all over the place! My '25 Roadster, barn fresh, not running (but ran after a day's work)was delivered to my door for $2k. Although the sheet metal is great, the body wood is toast, very little wear on the chassis, tires were junk,although held air (well, one only for a few hours). Turtle deck is very rough.
So, go from there??
If you pay for chassis rebuilding, it can add up quickly. If you do your own work, much less, but many hours (of course, this is a hobby, so the many hours MAY be a plus!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

It is worth what-ever you are willing to pay for it. Prices seem to vary depending on location.

I agree with Dave though and would think 6-7K depending on a great many variables that pictures would help us with.

People are willing to spend a lot of $ on something that looks great but has a questionable drive train and don't want to pay anything for an ugly car that is truly mechanically sound.

I bought a 26 Tudor with a fresh drive train from rear end to radiator, straight body and original interior for 6K just a couple of years ago. Best car I own. (I have 4) She aint pretty (compared to my Touring) but I'd driver her to Florida from here in Washington State.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

Following this auction might help you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-BASE-1923-FORD-MODEL-T-ROADSTER-VERY-NICE-R UNS-AND-DRIVES-GREAT-/321341864080?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ad177b890&item=3213 41864080&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cary Abate on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:08 am:

Thank you Royce,

I would hope that my efforts would result in at least getting a price that reflects 75 % of the cost of the parts, forget the labor. Has anyone seen a 15 year old ford or chevy? Keeping the price depressed is equal to a slow devaluation of this hobby. The key to this hobby is the fun derived from the trips in a vehicle easily repaired and with ample parts at a reasonable cost. I own a 1914 Maxwell "Trailer Queen". I love this car but, each time I take it out I risk it never running again. My T's, I love to drive and I do it sometimes without a trouble Trailer following. I would never do it in my Maxwell.

$5000 to $6000 is too cheap, as long as it is genuine. I would pay up to $11000 for the roadster after checking it out.

Just the thoughts of old man.

Cary A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:19 am:

The auction for the roadster in MN has been listed on Craigslist and other sites before for several months. No takers. That should tell you it is currently overpriced for the market here. It looks to be a nice car, but it is only worth what someone will pay for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 02:24 pm:

Not to start a price war but I'll take $8000 for
a 23 touring turn key and I'm already taking a
4 grand bath. Even underneath is better than most
cars outsides at car shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 03:24 pm:

Are you selling really? Interested.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration