Old Photo - Ladies In The Front Seat

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Ladies In The Front Seat
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 11:38 am:

I think this is the same car here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/428123.html?1394044945#POST603231

The light have been upgraded, but the paint job and the re-arranged windshield looks the same.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Can't say anything funny about that top picture, they could be some of my relatives.

My mom sent me an email with pictures of eight or so Nebraska license plates from 1915 - 1917 that my g'pa had collected. She wanted to know if I wanted them otherwise they are going bye bye. Most of them are the same style as the top photo, one has only four digits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:47 pm:

Top T photo has what look to me like electrified head lamps ? And side lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

Different plate numbers on each car.
Great Photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

Philip: That top picture appears to have a leather plate. In Nebraska that would be prior to 1915. Starting in 1915 Nebraska started issuing steel plates. If you don't want those old Neb. plates I would be interested in them. Send me a PM.

Thanks,
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 04:39 pm:

Phillip B,
I do hope you told your mom "Of course, I would LOVE to have those plates!" Plates like those are rare and historically valuable. Like so many things, plates just a few years later, while still very collectible, are much more common and less valuable.
It varied a lot from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and state to state. However, plates and registration went through several stages. In some areas, numbers were just painted onto the car. Plates as such usually went through a stage of attaching numbers (sometimes any common home address numbers from your local general store) to some type of backing, often leather on a wire frame. Following that was usually a porcelain plate provided by the state. By 1920, most states had switched to stamped steel and painted plates.
The two photos above, show the two early forms of displayed registration. Painted on (in this case, painted on the radiator), and attached numbers.
Great photos! Thanks all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:38 am:

Yes Wayne I did tell her I'll take them. Six plates total. I'll pick them up this summer when I'm back to visit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 02:45 am:

I found an interesting page here
http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/history/
while trying to research my car's history. I have a porcelain 1909 Mass plate, but it didn't come with the car.

Does anyone know if old Mass records have survived anywhere? I have tried the obvious historical societies and the DMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 04:26 am:

Phillip,
Good deal!!! (I was sure you would have)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration