Engine out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Engine out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

I've done this so many times, I feel as if I could do it with my eyes closed. This time, she needs a new mag-ring.

If it was not fun in a twisted way, I would not do it. Jim

Jimengine out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

The part I hate the worst is the radiator! (installation actually)

Go figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

Jim,
I don't know anything about your car or your engine, but that engine looks so good I'd guess it to be on it's way back in, not out. Give us a little background. What's going on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 08:49 pm:

I couldn't agree more John! The radiator mounting system sure looks simple enough, but between all those little parts, the springs, couple different kinds of "thimbles", rusted and corroded studs, cotter pins, vice grips, cuss words and bloody knuckles,........it all makes you wonder why Henry and his engineers couldn't have made "Lizzie" air-cooled! Of course then we'd had a bunch of intricate little sheet metal parts for air ducting and such,......oh well,.....it can't ALL be fun, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

Looks kind of familiar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:17 pm:

Use a deep 9/16 socket with a 10 to 12 inch extension and an air wrench (butterfly) and it makes the job easier...I think. If the bottom spins, stick a screw driver in to hold it. Am I preaching to the choir?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

neither photo has one of those horizontal balancing things (can't remember what they're called)that hook onto the cherry picker. I rather like using one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:50 am:

I recently got one of those leveler things..yeah, I'm no good at remembering correct names either! Boy they work nice. If it ever warms up enough to get my newly rebuilt engine in the '15 I'll try to remember to post pics. But it'll be a month at least the way the weather's going around here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:08 am:

Henry,

I was tooling down Mt Paran Road last spring when the ignition suddenly failed. I quickly lunged for the switch and turned the key to BAT, avoiding a breakdown situation.

When I got it home, I put an oscilloscope on the magneto terminal. I was getting an AC waveform, but only a couple of volts. I concluded that the magneto had shorted to ground one or two coils from the take-out point. The diagnosis was simple, but correcting the situation would involve taking out the engine. The mag-ring is, of course, at the center of mass of the entire car, surrounded by a lot of stuff that has to be removed. I put it off. Also, there was a nagging oil leak at the hog's head. I had trimmed the felt seal a bit too much, and I also wanted to correct that problem.

I bought an excellent mag-ring for a very good price on eBay from "gunmetal63".

I bought this car back in 1967, and it's good to take it apart every now and then for cleaning and checking. I always strive to put it back together in better condition than it was previously, trending toward enhanced authenticity. This time, it's going back together with stainless steel fasteners for the manifold clamps, the valve-cover, and the water outlet (simulating the original nickel-plated hardware). Restoration has been a slow process.

John,

The action that I dread is installing the steering column! I can't hold the thing in place with one hand and insert the screws with the other.

Jimmag-ring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Marthedal on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

What's the name of those horizontal balancing/leveler things and where do you buy one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

Hey Neil it's an engine hoist leveler or an engine sling. $30 to $60 depending on where you get it. Harbor Freight, Summit Racing, heck even Advance Auto and eBay are all places I've seen them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 09:09 am:

Thank you Seth! Crap I can't remember anything! And too lazy to go out to the barn and look it up for Neil. Got mine from Harbor Freight along with the "little" 1-ton engine crane. Works great. Don't know how long it'll last, but for the money, for now it can't be beat. Figured if I even had to replace the ram on the crane, it's still a good deal. Have used it twice already, works great. Foldup feature is great too, as the barn is getting awfully crowded these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

James, on both of my cars, a coupe and fordor i tie the steering column to the windshield adjusting brackets , this holds it up out of the way but lets you install the bolts, i usually line up two holes with screwdrivers and put one in to hold everything, i use a good strong piece of duct tape on the head of the carriage bolt to keep them in place to get the nut started and tightened down it makes the job easier at the frame, the firewall and the dash, it works for me.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

James:

To hold the steering column in place I just throw a card board box on the seat and rest the steering wheel on it. picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Marthedal on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:54 am:

- Thanks Seth, I'm headed to Harbor Freight.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration