Front axle question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Front axle question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

How big (tonnage) of a press does it take to straighten a front axle? Also, has anyone seen the drawing for it and was it actually tempered? Thanks, Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

20 ton will do it,but 50 is better. You will be surprised how easy it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

Gary, I did the last few in an old thirty ton press, I was surprised how much I had to go past straight to let it spring back. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 10:21 pm:

Gary,
You could just heat it and straighten as needed. Some folks have say that they are hardened and tempered (softened) but I have never seen any specs or anything to confirm that. If I was doing it I would heat, bend and just let it air cool.

T axles are heated and bent all the time for drop axles and no mention of tempering.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 11:38 pm:

If you're dealing with a garden variety typical bent axle, 20 tons is plenty and you don't need to heat it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Jim
Thank you for the posting. I have contacted Sid about getting some T axles modified with the kingpins tilted in 9 degrees. With new custom spindles it makes front brake installation a breeze and it makes the T handle like a modern car both forwards and backwards

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration