Simple question on tail light 22-27

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Simple question on tail light 22-27
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

I work overseas and am at work, but now have something stuck in my brain and nowhere to check it out. Causing a headache...lol.

1 - When flipped to 'dim', does the tail light light?

2- I am having difficulty working out in my mind how the opposing power buss crescents inside of the switch go. So if anyone can offer an explanation that has in fact taken a switch apart...I'd appreciate some commentary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

Seeing the question, I went and tried my lights. Yes, the tail light stays on for both bright and dim. I didn't look inside the switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

I just repaired a switch for a 26 and the tail light does work on high and dim. Any thing that I don't fully understand runs on magic, without pulling the switch out and apart I would have to say it runs on magic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

I know now that this is apparently running parallel to the Jim Thode/Martin Vowell discussion...

Thanks for the answers guys...

Here is the problem I'm trying to conceptualize shown in photos...remember I do not have a switch in front of me...and that I am only working from drawings on the internet in a cut and paste way.

As I mention on Martin post, I have been labeled certifiable because I bark that 22-27 does NOT use the standard switch arrangement when built for mag only, and that you have to be careful when you take a mag only and 'electrify' it after the fact...

This is the best cut and paste I've come up with but I still can't see how it works contact wise! Nobody will hurt my feelings....show me what I've cut and pasted wrong :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 02:02 am:

George, that's pretty much what I found also when I was trying to figure out how the switch worked. Although I think I would've switched the key to the mag position, just for the aesthetics of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:51 am:

George; Power is applied to the crescent that makes contact with the lighting sector of the switch. With the tail light using the center contact between the high and dim, when you shift between the two positions, one of the two contacts on the crescent will always land on the tail light contact resulting in the tail light always getting power. If you watch from the rear as you make the switch, the tail light will blink during the switch over. Now your headache should go away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:33 am:

On my wife's 1923 Roadster I replaced the switch with one of the new lousy repops several years ago.

I don't remember which is which but the tail light only works on Dim or Bright but not on both.

Probably should find me an original somewhere that works correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

Got it all now...thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 01:23 am:

I don't remember how we did it, but my Dad and I installed one of those brake light switches that mount with two screws to the band inspection cover, and made our stock 27 tail light work as a tail and brake (brighter) light. I'm replacing it with a Ford accessory, Hall stoplight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:05 am:

My switch doesn't light the taillight on dim, but it does shut the car off. Luckily, everything works fine (so far) on the bright setting, but I need to work on that switch some day..... :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration