Coker tire wood wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Coker tire wood wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Just in case someone asks anytime soon, the coker catalog states that they now offer wood wheel rebuilding services.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

So,how much are they charging to be the middle man?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 05:11 am:

no clue, but worth a call to find out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:19 am:

Why? You can make your own arrangements and save money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Voss on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:25 am:

Ad is for all new wood wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 12:32 pm:

I would add a few more reasons to source re-wooded wheels from known wheelwrights: Price, quality, service, warranty.

Ask yourself this, When a third party offers a service or product that is easily sourced from the manufacturer, what is the vendors value add?

Before purchasing a wheel from a third party (example,Coker) I would want to know the country of origin, detailed materials specs.,complete written warranty,and remedies.

Aggregators, like Coker, purchase in volume and are able to induce their sources to provide unique or low volume items to the buyer who, by themselves would not have the buying clout to interest the manufacture to provide such products.

In theory the aggregators drive the price down and expand the product range. Good for tires but is it possible with wheels? What problem is being fixed here? What happens if one reseller gains a large enough market share with one manufacturer to force other smaller manufacturers to go out of business? Will product quality improve? Will prices drop? Will customer service improve?

Let history be the judge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

Coker might be getting them from McLaren. These are '15 wheels from McLaren:

whl

McLaren makes the new rims and puts new centers and bearing races into the correct used hubs for your year of T and includes new bolts, then sends them to the Stutzmans for the wood part. I bought these about 3 years ago, and they were $400/ea. I don't know what Coker's price is.

Here's one after painting:

ptd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Mike

They look great all painted up. What paint / primer method do you use? Do you have to seal the woodgrain prior to painting?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

the ad from coker states that the wheels are built in Chattanooga Tenn. They say that they can use your hubs and steel fellow and that if you need rims and fellows that they make them in their in house shop. So draw any conclusion you wish, it is simply another source for wood wheels for the hobby, you buy parts from langs and synders and guess what, you're buying from a middle man. No big deal, just thought to share info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 06:27 pm:

David,
You are correct. When I saw the ad for this I noticed that it said that they would use your parts.

Even some of one man shops we see advertised are not doing the work only resellers.
Example: There is an ad on a non T site that a guy advertises rewooding wheels but if you ask questions he is not the workman. He just collects parts and has an amish gentlemen build the wood parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Gary -- I used PPG Omni acrylic enamel and their primer. I don't remember the name of the primer, but it's what the paint store guy said is appropriate for use with Omni. No extra sealer step.

I'm not very knowledgeable about paints as some of the Forum guys are, so I try to keep it simple with a single-stage enamel. It looks good to me on a Model T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

So does anyone know what Coker is charging for their wheels? I looked at their website and didn't find any info on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

Mike do you use any grain filler, I've done done some paint jobs on electric guitars and always used this white runny paste stuff just cant remember the name. Not sure on cost of the coker wheels, says in the ad to be competitive. But when building 100 year old wheels the price varies from all of the people doing it, then there is always shipping! I think that alone for my 4 complete wheels was like 150 bucks! from ok to ma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:22 pm:

David -- No filler. I put on primer, then sand it, then paint. I like to see the wood grain through the finish.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration