Front Bearings...Opinions requested

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Front Bearings...Opinions requested
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

Greetings and salutations!
I am in the process of replacing the front spindle bushings and other items in need of attention on Annie (1916 Touring). While cleaning out the old grease in the hubs, I noticed that there are several balls missing from the outer bearing. Funny thing is I did not find any shrapnel from the old balls. This is on the passenger side. The driver side was updated to roller bearings sometime in the past. My question is....do I simply order new ball bearings (the less expensive method I might add) or order and install roller bearings? Both races appear to be ok.

As usual, I am grateful for this forum and those who are willing to share their knowledge and advice!

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

Couple of thoughts.

Nothing wrong with the ball bearings. You won't have a perfectly even load, but that doesn't hurt anything in operation.

Don't know for sure, but the new balls may be slightly different diameter than the originals. I'd opt for all new balls in the outer bearing.

Since you have a 16 you probably have the older style hubs. Sometimes there is a problem fitting the later roller bearings. Never personally had an issue but I've heard cases where the hubs split in the area of the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:43 pm:

I run ball bearings in all my brass T's with no problem but I would replace all the balls not just add new ones for the ones that are missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

As long as the races are still good I would just replace the balls and put it back together.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:25 pm:

I was just talking about this the other day after seeing the price of the roller bearing. If and when I need to replace the bearings in my 21 I am going to install ball bearings. A set of the correct roller bearings are $240 and the set with the threaded insert $140. All bearings prices have gone way up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:00 am:

I've got ball-bearings in the front wheels of my '15 Touring and as I drive the car no more than 500 miles per year, I only pull the wheels about every two years, do a cursory inspection and feel around inside for grit. Then, if the cones look okay, I just add more red grease, stick the wheels back on, spin 'em and listen for rumble. If they're quiet and smooth, I figure I'm good for another two years.

I've heard talk about how it's advantageous to switch over to roller-bearings, but my ball-bearings behave so well, I just can't justify the effort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Take a look at Texas T parts for a complete set of front axle bearings for $284. I don't know if this is what you are looking for but compared to other prices I have seen, may not be a bad deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 10:28 am:

I don't think there is any advantage to replacing good ball bearings with new roller bearings. If the ball bearings are good just clean them and keep fresh grease in them. I've got ball bearings in two of my T's. Recently rebuilt the front wheels on my '15 and the ball bearings looked absolutely like new, so they went back in after cleaning and a fresh pack of Mobil 28.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 11:45 am:

IF the races are good, I guess new ball bearings are OK, especially for a car that doesn't cover a lot of miles. But so far I haven't found any good races in a wheel I've had. All the ones I've had were like this.

Unfortunately I don't know of any new replacement races being made today.

The last time I bought the Timken roller bearings, I found the 09075 and 09076 online for about fifty bucks each.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leonard J Evansic on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

A ball is a ball. A bearing is a set of balls and an inner and outer race.
If new ball bearings are available, I need a couple. Who has them? --Len

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:39 pm:

Look at the ones labeled, "Bearing-Quality E52100 Alloy Steel"

http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-bearing-balls/=r0qnra

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:18 pm:

Langs used to carry the outer threaded races, its the large inner ones that are tough to find. The cups don't seem to be especially hard to find, in my experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:53 pm:

I have several NOS outer races, both RH and LH, at least ten of each. I have lots of inner and outer cups too. I am out of inner races.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 04:40 pm:

Thanks All! I will double check the races. If all is well new ball bearings it is!

Patrick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration