Higher speed from a TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Higher speed from a TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

For those with a Model TT truck that has increased the over the road speed, what have you found to be the most efficient? My cousin Jim has come by a TT in good condition. He is looking for input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:52 pm:

O/H for go fast in a TT

Just could not catch this rig!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

A little to extreme Dan but I can see you have a lot of fun with that rig. He is looking for possibly a transmission similar to a Warford or Muncie or if the gears could be changed in the rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Harry,

There are a few ways to increase the speed of a TT and still have a period correct truck.

1. Soup up the engine as Dan says above.

2. Be sure the rear end has the high ratio rear end gears. If not, replace them.

3. Add an auxiliary transmission that has an overdrive, such as a Muncie.

4. Add a direct/overdirive drive shaft unit.

Of course, you can do more than one item. How far you take this line of thinking is a function of how fast you want to go and your pocketbook. I've heard of guys who have high ratio rear end gears, an aux. transmission and a drive shaft mounted set of gears. Even with a stock engine you can go one heck of a lot faster than I care to go in a truck designed for about 20 MPH.

Also, remember that once you start increasing the speed you'll need to think about having better brakes than just the stock set-up.

My TT has a Muncie, Bennett auxiliary brakes and low ratio rear end gears. In 2nd/hi, which has the Muncie in direct and creates the same condition as if the Muncie were not there, I can go a little under 20. In 3rd/hi, that is the Muncie in overdrive, I can crowd 35. If I'd change out the rear end gears for a high ration set I'd probably be able to push it up to about 45 or even 50. All this is with a stock engine running OK. Soup up the engine and things get more interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

Thanks Henry. Your post should give him plenty of ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

Harry;
I don't think that TT is Dan's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

Start at the top of a big hill. I see you are from Missouri so you might need a raft of some kind:-)

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

Without the aux tranny I used to have a lot of vibration with my first truck at 22-23 mph. After adding a Rockey Mt I'm able to do 35-40. My three TT trucks all have aux transmissions. I wished I had ruckstel rears on all three. That makes climbing the hills in southern Iowa a lot easier. Its much easier to shift the ruckstel than change the tranny on the fly. Harry, your dad built my 1911 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

Interesting Mike. Is your 11 the one that Dad used as patterns for his? I have had it at Mt Pleasant several times. Dad's great grandaughter drove it two days in the parade. She is 15. Her 15 year old cousin wants a turn this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

Harry that TT belongs to Willie Cordes boys from Texas, It was at the 100th anniv function. Have Jim get ahold of me danuser88@ktis.net for acc. transmissions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stefan Schaller on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Henry where could I get a highest rear end gears for the 2 Speed rear axle ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 06:26 pm:

Stefan,
Love your profile picture. You are to be commended. Your TT C Cab has the correct upper windshield frame. Most that I've seen around here have the touring/roadster upper frame. I'll be looking for one of those at Chickasha in about a week

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:21 pm:

A buddy with a C cab TT could do a smooth 50+ on a flat straight stretch. Balanced motor, Z head, high speed rear gears, Ruckstell and a Warford. He also had Rocky Mountain brakes, a necessity when neutral is possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

Harry, Tom already had his 11 finished when he built mine. He was anxious to build a quadricycle and was really proud of telling me about how he was getting it done. I got to see the cycle at Mt Pleasant. He was very proud and happy. At his age the things he achieved was amazing. I think he loved his singing group almost as much as Model T's. He never stopped doing! Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

What about using larger rear tires? Yes i know it might mean fabricating wider modern rims but Doodle Bug folks do it all the time! Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

I posted on an earlier TT thread that Ralph Ricks has an O/D unit that mounts in the drive shaft right in front of the dif for a TT.

He is desperately looking to find it a good home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

Stefan,
Love your C-Cab. Are you comfortable in the driver's position...enough space between the steering wheel and the seat back?
Enjoy your machine.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J Williams on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

Search around and find a twin hi lo unit those who have them
Like them real well I think it would be a good way to go
If you can find one they are a tough dependable unit.

Jim w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

Thanks to all that have responded. I have forwarded the information from John, Mike, and Gene to my cousin Jim. He sent information that he got it started yesterday and it runs pretty good on mag as well as battery. He said he must do something about the cab. It is to tight for him. He is not overweight but he can barely get to the peddles and the steering wheel is in his stomach. He lives outside of Mont Rose, Iowa just North of Keokuk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

Harry if he puts a fat man steering wheel on it will help him get in and out. I have another Hi-Low rear end and transmission set-up what I dont have is the shifter, I will measure the one shift rod I have, it takes two, as I've sold one unit w/the shift rod w/out the shifter. danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:39 am:

My TT that is on my profile has the high speed gears and a Chicago three speed auxiliary transmission with overdrive. It will cruise very comfortably at 30-35 MPH. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 01:10 am:

Sefan,

I don't remember who has them, but I'll look around and see if I can find someone. Note that if you're talking about a TT Ruckstell, although I don't have one, it is my understanding that it will use the same ring and worm gears as a regular TT rear end, so just look for a high ratio set and you'd be good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:42 am:

Dan, I will add another photo of the TT you showed. Yes, it will run 50+ pulling that trailer and has AC for those 100 degree temperature days here in Texas. Also electric brakes on that trailer to help stop the rig.
That was my sons project

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stefan Schaller on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

Thanks all for the good words and help
John I cut 2 windshield frames and welded them to the correct size.
John the driver's position is OK for me except the front window is too small I am 6.3 tall. So I look out of the gap between the windshield frame and the cab-roof.
Gene I will write to Rick.
Henry looking forward to hear from you and finally to Willie to you have more detail photos from your nice truck? Looks very good I like it.
C-Cap

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration