Need help to determine value

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Need help to determine value
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Hartzell on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 08:56 pm:

I will inherit a 1923 Model T from my Father's Uncle. By 'Inherit', I mean that I will purchase the vehicle from that relative's estate.

I have no experience with Model T's or antique cars; I am more of an antique tractor guy.

None of the family, nor myself have any idea about what the car is worth and I was hoping to get some feedback from this group.

What I do know:
* I am told that it is a 1923 vehicle.
* The chassis, engine, and firewall were found in the woods on a farm in central PA. I believe that it was originally on a truck frame.
* Over several years, my relative collected all the parts needed to assemble the car. All parts are original 1923(ish) parts, but are not original to this specific vehicle.
* The gas tank is homemade.
* The rear rumble seat is in a fixed position.
* there is a collection of spare parts consisting of an extra rear end, radiators, fenders, and wheels. Some tools as well.

Below is a link to some pictures that I recently took of the car. Does anyone have an idea of what the fair market value is? Thanks

https://plus.google.com/photos/106413214863215778440/albums/5984391219181645553? authkey=CLHYnqfExpyxMg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:15 pm:

Welcome Patrick

Some of the guys on the forum live in the country and only have a dial up connection so it may be hard for them to access the google photo link.

It might be better if you resize the pictures to under 200 mb and add them to this thread

Be aware that owning a T is not a pay and drive situation unless you know the complete history of the vehicle. There are a couple "must do" things like replacing the babit thrust washers in the rear end etc.

I am sure you will get many suggestions and opinions from the experts on this site.

Many people think a T is worth a small fortune but in reality drivable T's range from a few thousand dollars to about $15 ,000 for the special ones. One in a while you will hear about a $40,000 T but it usually signifies someone with more money than brains Most people here have more brains than money so you will get a realistic estimate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

Definitely a "made up" car. Anyone else look at the body--is there a chance that it is an aftermarket period body??
Patrick, I hope the estate is going to be realistic about the value. IF it is a period aftermarket body, then that could add to the value, otherwise, it's just a bunch of T parts made into a car---probably lots of fun to drive, but not an "authentic collectable"--it is however, a neat creation of your Great Uncle! Others more knowledgeable about aftermarket bodies will have to chime in here!
Welcome to "The Affliction"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:38 pm:

Welcome to the Forum and the T world...Looks like an assembled car. Nothing wrong with that it just changes the value somewhat. It appears the seat back and uphoulstery are made from a school bus seat. The rest of the body appears homemade to me. It is in the style of a homemade speedster body. That was a common thing to do in the 20s 30s and even later. Today, a lot of people build cars to replicate that type of thing, and to resemble a car from the era. I would consider the car worth about 2500.00 to 3500.00, if it runs as is. Others may agree or think Im high or low on the estimate. It just depends on the condition of whats there. and if you have a sentimental attachment to the car. Good luck with the model T affliction, and if you do get the car, please do the proper safety checklist items to make it a safe car to drive. In my opinion you will have just as much fun with this car as most people will have with a fully restored Model T. and with a lot less worries..... One more thought on value. I have bought cars like this (recently)for as little as 1000.00 but I have also seen them sell for 4500.00 in the same condition. So value is a hard thing to nail down...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:46 pm:

I'm no expert on aftermarket bodies, but that one looks home-made to me. The engine appears to be 26-27 with an earlier transmission. As David said, a made up car with parts from different years. I think five grand would be a generous offer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Hartzell on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 06:29 am:

Thank you for the input so far. The comments are inline with what I was thinking. I know that it was assembled with parts from several sources, not the original car. I just don't know enough about what I am looking at to determine the value. Please keep the comments coming. I know that the car ran, but perhaps not in the last 3-5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Hartzell on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 06:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

Even though the car ran at some time, it probably will need a complete mechanical rebuild, as well as everything else. I too think it's a homemade body, but I'm not very familiar with what was available as aftermarket bodies "back in the day."

If you like that body or have some sentimental attachment to it, you could continue the build your great-uncle started. If you don't, you could ditch the homemade body and find a real T body of your choosing at a swap meet or on ebay.

Either way, considering that you'll need to do EVERYTHING to it to get it roadworthy, I think Donnie's suggestion of $2.5 - 3.5K is generous and Steve's suggestion of $5K is WAY generous. There's a lot of time and money between what is there now and having a dependable driver that you can enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:23 pm:

Bought one similar 11 months ago for 1500.00 and 2500 seems high. For the amount of work required to drive it safely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:32 pm:

I would estimate between $2500 & $3500. To narrow it down further I would have to see it in person.

With its sporty aftermarket/homemade body, I would classify it as a speedster. It looks kind of neatly done. Could be a nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:56 pm:

Around here, 1500 unless it runs really well in which case possibly up to 2500. I'd think of a final value of 3000 to 3500 and then start deducting what it would take to get it running and driving safely. Condition of the motor, transmission, rear axle, wheels, tires . . .

It's real easy to have a money pit. Of course, family history and emotions enter the picture somewhere as well. I hope you find an agreeable value and enjoy the car, it looks as if it could hold a lot of memories and be tons of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

Patrick, this looks like it would be a fun car. All though I don't think its an aftermarket body there are a few things make me think it could be, but there are quite a few other things that say its homemade. Either way you would have fun with it and that's what its all about for most of us. I'm assuming it will run without a lot of work. Probably a $2500 car if it will run, not much more, parts add up real quick. Looks like its had dry storage but just sitting has a way of taking its toll.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:19 am:

Based on what I see, I'm in agreement with some of the others that $2500-$3500 is reasonable. If I tried to sell something like that around here, I'd probably ask $3500 knowing that someone would negotiate down to $3000.

$2500 or less seems like the friends and family price to me.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration