Sixty Two Years in the Corner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Sixty Two Years in the Corner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

I got a phone call Thursday from a man who said that he had owned a truck wrecking business since the early 1950's. He shut down about 10 years ago and has been slowly clearing out the property and renting it out. He is down to the last building, which contains all kinds of miscellaneous stuff, mostly transmissions and rear ends and gears and bearings for 40's, 50's, and 60's gas trucks. He said that he had his dad buying trucks for him and one day in 1952 his dad brought in a TT truck which they put in the corner of the building where is still sits today. Sixty-two years in the same corner!

It still has its 1951 California plates on it, as well as a Stromberg carb and a Mallory distributor. It does not have an auxiliary transmission. The engine does turn over but there didn't seem to be much compression. There are some tags on the firewall and body, but I could not make out the information without some cleaning and paint removal. One looked like it said Boulevard Body, and maybe Los Angeles. The body is a peddlers or "vegetable or fruit" sellerís body with visors all around, slanted display shelves, many bins and boxes, and pull down shades, like window shades, to protect the merchandise. There are also 2 large hooks on each side, but I'm not sure what their purpose was.

It's for sale, kind of, He wants to clear out the building and would like someone to buy all of the junk, but he thinks some of it, transmissions, rear ends, is worth something. I told him that I doubted there was much of a market for old transmissions, rear ends, etc. but there is a lot of brass scrap there too. He doesn't want to deal with people coming in and picking through things, he wants it all gone.

He will sell the truck separately, but his kids (who really have no interest in it) want him to keep it, and / or think it is valuable.

My fear is that eventually he will get impatient and someone will make him a scrap offer for the contents of the building including the truck and it will go to the scrapper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

I would love to have it, no place to store/work it and too far away!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:23 am:

Jeff, the truck has a Stromberg OF carburetor on it, that's worth a couple hundred bucks. That's too nice a truck to scrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:17 am:

The photos remind me of one of Richard's paintings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:40 am:

If that is a old junk yard there may be some Columbia 2 speed rear ends for cars in the 40's and such.Very valueable.
Those old in dash car radios laying around,some bring good money on ebay because folks restoreing more modern cars from 40's up want to send them off for conversion to fm and mp3 use.
so dont dissmiss it all as junk.
Love that old truck.Only if it could talk what it tell us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:07 am:

The photos made me nostalgic.
I found my 1926 touring in a barn a few miles from home. It took me three days to clean it out and get the car out of the barn and bring it home.

Jeff, I can only wish you good luck.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

It looks like the truck was the first thing put into that building. It will be a chore to get it out. The kids are right about the truck's being valuable, but they probably won't be happy with the amount. I'd say about $2,000 - 3,000. But I don't want a TT; someone who does might give more for it. It's a time capsule, for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Looks like an old produce venders truck, ether that or a rolling cow/horse feeder with a chicken coop on top. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

looks like a fun place to go shopping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:34 am:

I'll bet there is some demand for those old truck parts. Restoring old trucks is very popular. They should do some research on the internet for swap meets and clubs. They may be surprised. That TT is VERY cool, I hope it finds a new home. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 04:12 am:

Time to fix that sucker and get it running again, it comes complete with a load of stuff just perfect for its re- debut.
David.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration