Mileage? And would you drive your T on a 3000 mile trip?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Mileage? And would you drive your T on a 3000 mile trip?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

What kind of mileage do you get in your stock T?
would you drive your T on a long trip (solo around 3000 miles) if so what would you take with you for possible breakdowns. something I am thinking about to raise money for a charity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

You should send a message to Constantine. He drove a '13 Touring from Melbourne, Australia to Moscow, Russia. He would have some great info on what sorts of things you need or don't need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:07 pm:

Beyond Oil, water, and AAA+ I would bring along a nice complement of hand tools, a set of gaskets, spare coils and a spare timer. A computer (or access to one) to reach the forum for assistance if needed as well as a parts catalog from your favorite vendor would be good as well. Any other parts you bring probably won't be needed and would just weigh you down. Dean Yoder, Ben Hardeman and Tom Carnegie have had real world long distance touring experience and would be great sources of advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

Doh! A few answers to what you asked.

I get about 20 mpg and I would consider driving a T that far but can't imagine my wife would want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:27 pm:

You'd better have a heck of a car to begin with. As to what to carry Walt's list is OK. As to your charitable obligations I'd break the trip down to sections 500 or 1000 miles each. It's a long trip your proposing and you don't know what will happen. If you go for a full 3000 miles and don't make it you'll be out the donations. What I'm suggesting is "selling" 500 mile blocks for instance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:38 pm:

Dean Yoder once posted a list of spares he carries here, but i do not know the thread topic to search for it. as i recall it had some major roadside projects like axle shaft, connecting rod etc. maybe he will chime in, or write him a note

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

I drove my T 10,000 miles on a trip with no chase car. I took gaskets, water, oil, gas, spare tubes, spare connecting rod, spare coils, spare timer, tools, GPS, computer, tootsie rolls, a cooler that was too big, a stove, a basket of food and few other odds and ends.

As far as T stuff I needed:
The tubes, as the ones in my tires developed leaks in the valve cores.
I think I used some spare coils.
I used the manifold gaskets, as I broke my manifold tightening the nut too tightly (I was able to repair the manifold).
I ran an Anderson style timer which went the entire trip with no cleaning or adjustment.
I ate all of the tootsie rolls.
I got 21 MPG average, and generally drove about 50 mph.

I rebuilt my engine to Montana 500 specs which means that it was balanced, had aluminum pistons, a reground cam and I milled the head about .080"

I repair Model T's for a living, so I was confident that I could solve any problem the may come up along the way. The only real issue I had was my manifold, which I brazed together in Cleveland, Ohio. A forum member in Wisconsin gave me a spare, but I finished the trip with the repaired unit.

I figured it was much like running 20 Montana 500's in a row. My engines usually make the Montana 500 just fine, unless I do something stupid (like not put enough oil in them).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:43 pm:

As a side note:
I'd do it again tomorrow, if I could get away. The only thing I'd do differently is I'd take along a smaller cooler, and I don't eat tootsie rolls anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:46 pm:

Another note: Echoing what Walt said, talk to Dean Yoder, he is my T driving hero and inspiration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

I have dreamed many times of a long trip like that.

Mileage, 18-20 mpg.
Supplies; Tubes
Coils
Standard tools
Cellphone
Timer brush
A reliable person to rescue me if I have a catastrophic failure.
All other items can be dealt with along the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:11 pm:

Based on the responses I have seen so far and the short trips that I take, I am carrying way too much spare stuff in my running board toolbox! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Chuck
I will depart next Sunday for a little tourabout.
Thought I would be driving My new Improved 26 chopped touring but just haven't got it complete.
Will go with My 24 and trailer. 3-10K depending how I feel,Chickasha is a planed stop.
I carry spare axle gasket set spare rod an assortment of bolts nuts tools spare coils and timer. If you start out with freshly rebuilt coils you should be good but points fail as do windings so carry a spare. New timer should last 7-10k miles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:57 pm:

Don't forget some online access so you can solicit forum members for help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Chuck - Check out this post from last year. A couple from Pine Grove, PA drove their 1913 Touring to California and back.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/382548.html?1377118056

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 04:55 pm:

Hey Tom, would it be OK to substitute Hershey kisses for Tootsie rolls?
I would bet a cell phone and a Lang's catalogue would be about all you would need besides the standard tool kit. UPS can deliver just about anywhere next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

Hey Dean,
Do you run your '24 on original hickory spokes? If so, did you treat them with any kind of sealer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

George
I use 50/50 mix of linseed oil & turpentine each spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 10:11 pm:

I have done 2500 miles in 15 days all through the mountains of British Columbia. I am now building a car that I want to do a 3C's trip in (Pacific, Arctic, and then to the Atlantic). I may cheat and get it shipped back to Calgary at the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike dixon on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

dean, do you use the lenseed oil and turpintine as a laxitive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:32 am:

Mike,
You've got it all mixed up, that mixture is for tightening things, not loosening them!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:06 am:

Any one who would drive their T on that long a trip; particularly not touring with other T's, gets my respect. Too many accidents have occurred on tours where there were other cars (and help) and some have proved fatal. Secondly, my other half doesn't even like to make that long a trip in a modern car with all the bells and whistles, much less something from the prehistoric age. Third, I would want a vulture vehicle following me to haul me home or at least to civilization for repairs, should that be necessary. If I had a newly restored T, equipped for touring and was about 20 years younger, I might try something similar, even if it wasn't as long a distance. In my 30's, I once drove a modern vehicle non stop, except for food, relief stops, and fuel, from Carlisle PA. to Tuscaloosa, AL without stopping for rest, but I couldn't do that now. I'd fall asleep at the wheel, for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:17 am:

Chuck,
Whatever you take you will not need it. It is what you didn't take you will need. Read Ben Hardemans story about his road from Alaska to Texas in 2010. Great story and a lot to learn in it.

Good luck "et Bon Voyage"

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:36 am:

I would think keeping in touch with the forum and taking the directory for the MTFCI would be extremely helpful. Also take along the list of directors of both clubs so you have people that you can call who will help you with local members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:37 am:

YES, I would drive my car on a 3000 mile trip, just say GO! I did a 6000 mile trip solo in 2008 and had a great time. If you know your car, your abilities, have confidence, the time and a sense of adventure. I would not go on the freeway or east of the Mississippi(to many people). Plan on more time than you think that you will need for visiting, side trips and break downs.
On my trip the worst mileage I got was 12mpg and the best was 26mpg, I averaged about 22. Plan well and have a great trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick, Sandy Creek, NY on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:40 am:

I'd just carry Dean Yoder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:10 am:

Is this going to be a timed event, like a Cannonball Run type of thing? I've discussed doing some sort of timed adventure with a Model T with a couple friends, and we decided it's not worth the extra weight if you're going for time. Either the car will make it or it won't. If this isn't timed, balance what you "know" you'll need with what you "know" you won't. It might not hurt to call your vendor of choice and give them some advance warning. That way they can make sure they have a good supply of parts on hand. Last thing you'd want to do is break that one part you didn't haul with you, just to call a vendor and find out it's been back-ordered for months. Just my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 04:29 pm:

For what it is worth. The only time (so far) in my life that I carried a spare connecting rod in my model T is (so far) the only time I have ever thrown the rod bearing in my model T.
I did change the rod that evening in the hotel parking lot and continued the run the next day. Sometimes I wonder if carrying the rod jinxed it?

I would love to do several long trips including coast to coast. Maybe somehow it can become possible to leave the house for more than two days.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 04:38 pm:

If you have a MTFCA membership directory it can be handy if you need a part that you don't have with you or assistance. I have used it in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

Know the condition of your car. Carry a Cell phone, credit card and a GPS. Another good thing would be AAA card if you needed towed to the next town.

Over the last 4 years a group of 4 or 5 Model T's have got together and travel from 3,000 to 5,000 miles each year on a tour. I only remember two cases where a rear axle broke and a wrecker was needed. As it happened we were on our way to visit a Model T guy and a phone call got us a shop and the needed parts to repair. The second event was a lost rod and a phone call got use the needed rod the next day.

Things happen on long tours but that is part of the adventure. 3,000 mile drive, heck the T Model is just getting warmed up.

We all referred to a break down as an event and it has never failed that there was a guy that would stop and help by offering us a place to repair or knew someone that could help.

Broke axle
Broke rocker arm shaft in an overhead valve
Lost a rod
Flat tires
Minor tuning and carb problems
Crack low speed drum but drove it 300 miles and had to go over Wolf Creek pass in Colorado.
Broke an ear off of the pan, guy knew a welder, problem solved.

Vendors are a phone call and overnight to ship parts, we even had one vendor offer to drive the parts to us.

Have fun, go for it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration