VIN numbers on frames

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: VIN numbers on frames
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 02:57 pm:

I have a 1926 TT and I am trying to find the number stamped on the frame. I think it is supposed to be on the passenger side TOP of the frame rail above the parking brake pivot, but can't find it. Am I in the right place?

If not where is the number supposed to be?

Thanks TOM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

I've heard that sometimes it's on the left rail, but I've never seen it. The usual place is on top of the right frame rail where it can be seen when you take up the floor board. I think I've read that numbering of frames didn't start until December of 1926, so 1926 a vehicle made before that would have its number only on the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:15 pm:

My answer assumes that the number was stamped on truck frames, as it was on car frames. Maybe somebody has a numbered truck frame to verify that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

I have a set of number stamps. What would you like it to read?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niels Andersen on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

According to Encyclopedia - 1925 - december 12th - numbering of frames started on that date in the Highland Park plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

TT frames have the numbers stamped on them just like on the T frames. Same place on the frame and the same starting date.

The number is about 5/16 " high and may be covered with dirt and crud making it very hard to see. You probably have to use a wire brush to clean the area.

You should find it on the top of the frame right under where the passenger's feet go.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 05:39 pm:

Keith,
Would the frame number height be different than the engine serial numbers? If not, then it'd be 3/8" number stamp.
Hey Uncle Jack ! If Ross forgets his number stamps this week; can I send you a late '25 engine to stamp a serial number on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

My 26 coupe has the numbers on the drivers side behind the brake quadrant .

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

All of my T's now have numbers on the frame that match the ownership papers. Since engines are often changed, and many are not original to the cars that they are currently in, the engine number may not match the paperwork. This was the case with all three of my T's. My cars are not 100% original. If they were ever stolen and then recovered, I could not prove that they were mine since the numbers on the paperwork do not match the engine number which was the only number on the car. By stamping the paperwork number on the frame, I can now show proof of ownership. Also consider that even if your engine and paperwork do match, if the thief removes the engine, then there is no ID on the car and you may not get it back.

Model T's may not be stolen very often, but trailers containing them do get stolen. Often the trailer is recovered, but the car is gone, and without matching numbers on car and paperwork, you may never get it back even if it is found.

Stamping your own number on the frame will probably upset some purists, and may confuse some future restorers someday, but it may save your car today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:05 pm:

I had to have my kid go after the top rail with sand paper to find mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 11:57 pm:

Looks like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:04 am:

George - I'm not sure of the exact height of the frame numbers, that's why I said "about 5/16" " above. I'm not at home now (the weather is nice here in sunny AZ, btw) or I would check. 3/8" is possible, even likely. At any rate, the number is there beginning with December 12, 1925 production.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

Don't get Model years confused with production dates. The frame number stamping was started as a few have stated, in late Dec 1925. This would have been almost 4 complete months into the 1926 model cars and trucks. All the US TT's after this date were stamped into the top of the right frame rail between the running board supports. Sometimes it is not stamped very deep and will take some work to expose it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

Rick,

My '27 touring is stamped in the same spot.

Lary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:16 am:

I measured the numbers on a '27 frame I've got. They are 3/8" tall, max 3/16" wide and the total length of the 14,712,xxx number is 2 1/4".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 05:16 am:

Many cars manufactured before Ford stamped the s/n on the frame had a number stamped by the local Department of Motor Vehicle which the DMV assigned their own made up number

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration