Interchangeable rims?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Interchangeable rims?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

I have a 1923 with front rims held on with four wedges and the back rims are bolted on with ears with holes on the rims, last summer at a show a guy told me I could use the four bolt with ears on the front in place of the wedge style now I'm reading this may be not true,are they interchangeable

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 05:34 pm:

Yes, John they are interchangeable and will work like you described.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 06:17 am:

John, keep in mind my experience is with Canadian sourced cars. Are the wedge style rims the kind with a detatchable U shaped clamp? This type of rim relies on the clamp forcing the rim against the outside land on the felloe. This interference is what gives the drive. The bolts only hold the rim against the felloe.

The rims with attatched lugs with holes are meant to clamp to the inside edge of the felloe. Here the bolts again only hold the rim against the felloe. There is a slight gap between the felloe and the rim on the outside.

While they will bolt on to the first type of felloes, the lug type rims will then only be driven by the 4 bolts, rather than being wedged against the felloe, not an ideal situation.

Hap tucker has done alot of research on this and he will have a better idea of the US situation.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 08:53 am:

John,

There is not a simple “black and white” answer to your question. First we need to know if you are talking about the 30 x 3 1/2 clincher wheels or the later 21 inch balloon wheels. And yes, I know the 30 x 3 1/2 were the only ones offered by Ford from the factory in calendar year 1923 as well as model year 1923.

Assuming you are asking about the 30 x 3 1/2 clincher style wheels and rims we need to verify they are the ones supplied by Ford and not one of the many aftermarket or other automobile maker wheels or rims.

Once you have verified they are 30 x 3 1/2 clincher style wheels and rims originally supplied by Ford, you still need to figure out if the rims and wheels are compatible or not.

Ford was into saving money when he was producing the Model Ts. And if he could have had a single rim that would safely work on all the wheels he would have stocked only that rim. In 1924 he directed all the wheel and rim supplier to provide a single style of wheel that any rim would fit safely on any wheel produced by any of the suppliers. And the style they settled on was the Ford fixed lug that was similar to the Hayes fixed lug wheel and rim.

Below is from the May 15, 1920 Ford Service Bulletin it says:

So Ford would NOT put the fixed lug rim on the Kelsey style wheel.

Below is from the Jan 1924 Ford Service Bulletin:

Below is the Dec 1926 Ford Service Bulletin listing the parts the dealers should stock to service the Fords on the road. Note they list more than one style of rim for the 30 x 3 1/2 wheels.

All that said, some folks have reported they have successfully used the fixed lug wheel on the loose lug rims by modifying the wheel so the lug on the rim does not prevent the rim from seating fully on against the inside fellow. I.e. so the bolts are holding the rim to the felloe and the felloe is holding the weight of the car.

For additional photos etc. please see:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/313621.html?1348491514

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:59 am:

Hap: I think that one thing that confuses people is the fact that Kelsey and Hayes were at this time two companies. People have always heard Kelsey Hayes wheels and assume that they were the same company and only made one style wheel. If you want to stir the pot, throw in a Firestone rim in the mix. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:40 am:

I have just had a similar problem. I had 2845C rims on 3 wheels and Kelsey 2845 on 1 and the spare. The Kelsey 88 (as it was marked) looked like it fitted the felloe but when I removed it, I found it had been moving around and almost chafed through the valve stem. I was able to swap the 2 rims for 2845C style (one of which is marked Firestone, just to add confusion) so I have a full matching set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

Except for the fact Jem your in Great Britain, there is a guy on Fordbarn that has been looking for an "88" rim.
http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132315

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration