How much water do you use

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How much water do you use
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

I'm finding that I need to add about a pint of water every time I go out for a half hour ride in my 16 touring.

It has a new radiator and freshly rebuilt engine.

I don't think I'm over filling it, and I don't see any water leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

Suppose you don't add the pint. Does it go any lower and whats the level it's at when you re-fill it. A pint's not a heck of a lot by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

You are wasting your time. Each radiator will reach it's own level and then stay there.(unless you have a leak) try letting it go for a couple times to see if it goes further.If not ,enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

Ok. Thanks.

I have not tried to let it go lower, but will do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

I use about a pint a year in my cars typically. Here in Central Texas it's typically above 90 degrees every day from April through October.

If you are using that much water something is wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:03 am:

I look down the radiator neck when the car is cooled off (before starting for a drive). If I see my reflection looking back at me, all's good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:25 am:

Being a little lazy, I tend to lean on the "thermo-barf" method of radiator-filling.

As I know it's possible to under-fill the radiator to the point where the thermo-siphon principle will not work, instead, I fill it right up to the top, knowing that the car has enough horse-sense to barf overboard the excess and bring the coolant in the radiator to the precisely correct operating level.

As my car happens to run cool, even in the summertime, I only perform the filling ritual every two or three months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 08:59 am:

I used to fill the radiator to the top, but expansion would spill out a good puddle each time. Now after it marks its spot I'll leave it alone and it's fine. Water will expand about 2% to 3% for 100 degree rise. A Model T has maybe 12 quarts. 2.5% of that is about one cup. If you filled the radiator to the top, one cup will come out. One Cup of water will make a nice puddle. I have gotten used to seeing where the normal water level is and adjust if needed. Just keep an eye on it and you'll become an expert on your car's water level.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

As long as the level is above the core when it's cold, you're good to go.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration