Low gear oddity

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Low gear oddity
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Goldberg A., Tenerife - Spain on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 08:56 am:

Hello Friends,

I searched the forums and I wasn´t able to find something about this that I am having now.

About 4 years ago I re-lined the bands with kevlar, and I only had to adjust them twice maybe and so long ago that I do not remember when. But about a month ago I noticed that even the low gear engaged correctly, if I pushed on the pedal strong enough, the pedal went in a little more than it could go before about 1/6" and the low gear felt as it started to disengage.

I tried to figure out what could be happening and get no plausible (for my knowledge) answer; two weeks ago I took the car to a parade 15 miles away, parade and back with no problem, but last week I took it again the same distance and in the highway the neck of the radiator open a leak and the car overheat, I stopped and wait for it to cool off and replenish the water but when I tried to get it going the low gear would not engage and I waited more time to allow it to cool some more and then the low gear engaged but it felt like the band was loose.

I left the car seat for a couple of days and I tried the low gear and the pedal went all the way to the floor (It was last week properly adjusted) so I adjusted the band and went for a spin, the low gear engaged but the pedal felt a little loose, I left the car two more days parked and yesterday I took it for another parade and surprise! the same thing happened as if the band was loose again.

I opened the transmission cover and everything look OK; the drum is more or less shining, I did not find any cracks, there is plenty of oil, but the low gear band is adjusted almost to its end, so much that in neutral the car moves a little forward.

The other bands are OK, even in the parade we had to go trough a tunnel that goes up-slope, the car overheated because what I did to repair the radiator was no good, I waited to cool off and the T would not went up-slope so I tried in reverse and it climbed the slope perfectly.

I hope I can explain what is happening whit this post and if someone could lead me into resolving it.

When the car overheated before, it behaved in a different way than now so I am not so sure if that is the main problem, even that when it started with the low gear disengaging when pushed harder, the car was within operating temperature (or so I guess it...)

Regards,

Mario

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:49 am:

Hello Mario,

This sounds somewhat similar to what happened to my '27 Roadster. The low drum had cracked in three places and was shaving the band down constantly until there was no more adjustment.

Si quieres puedes llamarme y podemos comparar los dos casos. Espero que el tuyo no esté tan mal como el mío, aun está despiezado! Mi móvil es 670 793 879 y vivo en Barcelona.

Un saludo,
Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Sospecho que el bajo y el recalentamiento son problemas separados. When you looked at the low drum, did you rotate it all the way around and see that it was all smooth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:49 am:

Same thing happened to me and it was a crack across the drum face that shaved down the band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

I had something like that happen when I first started driving my 15. The cotter pins had been left out of the clutch adjusting screws. The clutch started slipping and the car started overheating. If you are running a non ford clutch, could the disks have worn and it now needs adjusting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Goldberg A., Tenerife - Spain on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 09:58 am:

Hello,

Nice talking to you on the phone Eric.

The drum is cracked and it is not smooth......

I am catching up on my reading of the Ford Service Manual and the Transmission book from the Club.

Also reading old posts regarding drum changes.

And so on.....

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration