Roberts Marine engine- 2 cylinder Model T engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Roberts Marine engine- 2 cylinder Model T engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:44 am:

I've been meaning to post this here for a while, but with acting as the admin on the Facebook T group, I have found myself with less time than I used to have to play here.

A while back, I picked up a Roberts Model H engine, which is a 2 cylinder 4 stroke inboard that was heavily based on the Model T engine. From what I have read, the engine originally came without a water pump and the later engines were modified with one. If you look at the engine, you can see the striking similarities, but supposedly they continue on the inside. Supposedly, many of the internals for the engine were interchangeable with the T, such as the rods, pistons, and rings.

I bought the engine because I enjoy T's and antique boating. Although I usually prefer outboards, I couldn't pass up the chance to have a T marine engine.

Has anyone seen one of these or have one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:46 am:

These were built in Sandusky Ohio. From some period advertisements I have seen, the water pump became part of the unit in about 1918.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:14 am:

Do a keyword search for Roberts in the text .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 06:50 pm:

How do you cool a marine engine without a water pump ?

Some sort of ram water intake ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

Neat Richard, I bought one back in the fall sans water pump, electric starter and generator. Uses model T pistons, rods, valves and timer.1/2 head gasket will almost work but not quite. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

If anyone is interested, you can bid on this engine at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roberts-Sandusky-Model-H-2-Cylinder-Inboard-Marine-Engin e-Model-T-1918-1919-17/121292025199?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid %3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20635%26meid%3D5398743130353616262%2 6pid%3D100033%26prg%3D9200%26rk%3D0%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D121292025199

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:46 pm:

it's the same picture......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:43 pm:

2k + 500 shipping - Wonder if it would sell. There is/was a complete motor launch with a 2-cyl "T" engine like that for sale in Maine for 4500 on a brand new trailer last summer. The seller did a lot of advertising but I'm 99% sure it never sold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

These 1/2 T's are interesting. There were some made by "The Medicine Hat" foundry. They made their own block, head and crank (it fires on a even firing order, so I suppose camshaft as well). There market was as a water pump engine for irrigation etc.
I have one that runs and I have seen two more.
I also have a Roberts 4 cylinder converted T marine engine. I bought it last spring at the Red Deer swap meet. A lot of the external "engineering" is the same as the 2 cylinder one. I wonder if it has the same oil pump inside (probably).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:02 pm:

Les, the two cyl. I have has no oil pump, splash only. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:16 am:

There was a chap in Washington named Stan Bender that cut a Model T engine in half and made it into a two cylinder. I didn't hear it run but I saw it. It looked very similar but a bit cruder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Taylor on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

David, was it like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDJxXdVpKVY

I have no affiliation with this video.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:09 am:

Thank you for all of your great responses. I'm glad to see there are other people with these engines also. I've been trying to upload some new photos for everyone, but couldn't get them to work here. There are new photos on Ebay however.

I didn't realize that Roberts also built a 4 cylinder version of this engine. Does anyone have any photos of that boat with the T derivative engine?

Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

Richard - I do not have pictures, but I'll see if I can find some. There were a few T People interested in it and someone might have taken some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

Peter, yes that is what it looked like so there is more than one out there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration