Pickup or Runabout?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Pickup or Runabout?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:49 am:

The 1926 Ford Model T Runabout that I have been working on might not be a Runabout. According to some of the family members of the original owner, the Model T started off as a pickup. The owner and his brother went to the junk yard and bought the runabout backend.

So, my question to you guys: How can I prove this story correct? Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:54 am:

I know there's a difference between the pickup body and the roadster body. If you don't find it with a Google search, I expect somebody who know the details will explain it here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:09 am:

According to the Howell's sheet metal site, the back of the cab sheet metal is different as follows:

Roadster:

roadster

Pickup:

pickup

Here is the older thread that pointed me to the Howell's website:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/64685.html?1220032274

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:19 am:

Great!! Thanks for the info!!

Hey Steve, just FYI: I graduated HS from Anthony and I still remember marching in parades at Ark City (and doing some girl chasing haha).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:20 am:

See this thread also: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/87887.html?1240520652

Rear panels without embossings are very rare and may have been built very early in 1926 production. Most roadster pickups would likely have had the embossings, so the difference is more in the ending of the quarter panels as can be seen in the thread Mark linked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:20 am:

The pickup originally had longer rear 1/4 panel extensions.
Roadster:
http://www.modeltford.com/item/S154-DR.aspx
Pickup:
http://www.modeltford.com/item/S155-DR.aspx

Some say that the panel behind the seat is embossed on the roadster and flat on a pickup.

Roadster:
http://www.modeltford.com/item/S104A.aspx

Pickup:
http://www.modeltford.com/item/S100.aspx

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:40 am:

Andrew, did you pickup your T from a vet in Anthony? J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:50 am:

Jerome, I'm currently living in Lubbock, TX. I have not lived in Anthony for over 20 years, but still have many classmates that stuck around. How things in Ft. Hays?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:57 am:

Andrew, if the Runabout was factory made, these bodies didn't have the captive nuts on the rear bucket upright to secure a runabout turtle deck.

Note the bolt holes on the rear upright for the turtle deck, a 'true' factory pickup does not have these fasteners.

No fastener holes in this body. Pickup style factory.

Here is backside of turtle deck showing the hole for fastening up to the body upright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. When I can get to a computer, now on iPad, I will post some pics that I think will solve the mystery.

Thanks to everyone that has posted!! You guys are great!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Harris on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:58 pm:

Okay, now that I'm on a computer and degrade my photos, here what I have. Photo one shows the hole (Red number 1 on the phone) that Dan is talking about. It is on the deck, but no hole lines up on the body. The second photo is same side where you can see number 1 hole is midway and number 2, where it is connected to the body.

So, conclusion, I believe this was an early pickup. The engine date shows to be Nov/Dec 1925 (I can remember and my notes are at the museum).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 06:47 pm:

Take a look at the photo below. There are no holes for the attachment of a turtle deck. Based on the photo and the opinions in this thread, am I safe to call the truck a Runabout?

Runabout?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

Again, read the thread I linked above: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/87887.html?1240520652

In that thread Arnie shows pictures of his early improved runabout without holes in the turtle deck and without threaded holes in the rear of the body, so there are no theories about the differences between runabouts and pick up versions that holds water just yet.. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:38 pm:

Bill,

If you look closely and your photo it looks like there are plugs or bolts in the upper holes about 3" down on each side. That would make it a runabout car that was converted to a pickup or Ford did that originally.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

What plug?

Runabout plug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:03 am:

A runabout is a runabout whether it has a pickup bed on it or not. If it has a turtle deck it is a runabout, if it's a pickup it's a runabout with a pickup box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Bill,

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

This is interesting to me. I have a "true factory" 1927 pickup. It has the bolt holes:

This may not mean that other '27 pickups had these holes. My '27 was a fleet purchase vehicle, one of 6 bought by the Los Angeles City Fire Dept (L.A.F.D.). There were some non-standard things done on fleet sales, like wooden wheels in the last month of production of the T.

The logo on a commercial green car identifies this car as a Mountain patrol vehicle with the L.A.F.D. These were used up on Mulhulland Drive in the San Fernando Valley.

Here they lined up all the Mountain Patrol Vehicles (6 of them) for inspection in 1927. On the left is the cheif's Dodge Brothers touring car and on the right is a 1927 roadster, the rest are pickups.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:01 am:

Terry,
Maybe your pickup was made out of what ever parts were left at that late date in T production. Based on the holes and the short extension on the 1/4 panels they should have been on a roadster car. Do the holes have threaded brackets inside the body?
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Pitts on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

Jim, in my experience the longer 1/4 extensions were found on the 26 bodies that also included the bump under the forward edge of the door and also had the aluminum sill plate under the door. The later body without the bump and steel sill that wrapped under the body had the short 1/4 extension with a rolled bead at the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

Jim, the holes have threaded nuts inside.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:24 am:

I also have a factory Canadian pickup. It has the bolt holes and the embossed rear panel. What it does not have is the trunk floor panel which makes sense to me. The pickups also had the tail light mounted to the box and not the rear fender, so no holes for the tail light in the rear fender.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration