5 Brakes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 5 Brakes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 10:59 am:

I picked up a few copies of “Ford Dealer & Service Field” Magazine from October 1926, January 1927 and February 1927. My car was built in January 1927, so I am always on the lookout for information about the Improved Fords. I found it interesting that one of the sales points that dealers were to suggest to the customer was that the Ford has 5 brakes.

1)Against compression in High with the spark and throttle retarded.
2)Against compression in Low with the spark and throttle retarded.
3)Using the Reverse pedal when on grade will give an even greater braking action than Low.
4)In neutral with the brake pedal as is normal.
5)The emergency hand brake.

Having followed and read lots on the forum I know that using #3 is probably not a good idea as I would risk cracking the reverse drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:57 am:

If the first 5 don't work It might help to have this on your dash. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

I would say the 1st one is iffy! Even with 45 pounds compression mine don't slow down much doing that! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

As late as '26 and they still have the "they'll buy what I sell them" attitude. Amazing. Although #3 was commonly known & used and there's nothing wrong with 1 & 2 it still seems they went out of their way to state how safe the car was. T drivers used them all and managed (usually) to stop their cars but it was experience not good brakes that stopped a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:23 pm:

Joe,
That's interesting, I had not seen that in writing for a Model T before. Can you post a copy of that section?

The spark retarded part goes along with this thread:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/411441.html?1388473313

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:26 pm:

Ya, the experience of running into something! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:11 pm:

Jay, I was thinking the same thing, or something my dearly departed grandmother used to say. A lick and a kiss from God.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

My dad always used to say, "if you have to hit something, hit something cheap".
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

My dad said always choose to hit something soft
If that is not available hit something going in the same direction as you
If you can't do that hit something smaller than you
Do not hit an unmovable object because you are not an erristable force

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

How about getting back to the fact that the brakes s***ed and they wouldn't admit to it? By the time this list came out there were plenty of cars with real stopping power. The T relied or driver savvy not a real braking system. "If dat don't work do dis".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

I'm sure there were few worries about the brakes during the muddy and rutted road era of the 1910s with little traffic. By the late 1920s, smoother roads, higher traffic and cars stopping in front of you with better brakes (as we all know), I bet there were a few complaints and a reputation starting to circulate which might have hurt later sales.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 08:53 pm:

Ford said things in the “Ford Dealer & Service Field” Magazine That we laugh at today.
Lots of untruths and out right lies.
All in the name of good business.
Its fun to read but take it with a grain of salt.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration