Rear axle felts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rear axle felts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:21 am:

How the devil do you install those rear inner axle felt's that have the small center holes? They don't fit the axle and they will not go into the axle tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:41 am:

I haven't tried it yet, but I'd grease it up and use a piece of pipe that will fit over the axle to drive it in. I'll be interested to see what guys who have done the job have to say about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

I didn't have a pipe that would fit over the axle and into the tube past the rivets so I used a piece of rod and worked the felt in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:06 pm:

I've tried a pipe, a rod and could never see how the heck those were made to go in. The only thing i havn't used is a jackhammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

Take an old axle,put it in a vise and pre-streach the felt center hole. I use a piece of electrical conduit to jam them into axle housing. Some force is required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 03:41 pm:

I've found that a little grease, a little force, and a lot of cussing works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:23 pm:

Tyrone, I use a worn out axle shaft to enlarge the hole. Then I oil the felt and put it onto the axle and push the outer edges towards the axle until it will fit into the bearing area then push it past the rivets with a dowel rod. They are difficult to install but they will keep the oil from leaking out.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:10 am:

I use Jacks method. They are the best leak protector I've seen, but a keck of a lot of work to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:08 am:

A piece of 11/4" XH pipe is perfect for driving the felts in,it fits over the axle but not too loose and is a good fit to the housing, use a forged steel cap to hammer on as the malleable caps will bend and break.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:18 am:

Those large felts were used by mechanic shops as a quick fix for leaking oil where oil from the rear seal/bushing from the engine leaked past and ran down the torque tube and in to the differential housing filling it up and thence leaking out through the outer axle felts on to the brakes. The real fix was to repair the rear seal/bushing. Differential housings were provided with grease however the trend today is to use oil in the housings therefore leaking oil is a potential issue. There are some good quality modern seals available to resist leakage where oil is used.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration