Something is fishy on this Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Something is fishy on this Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:30 am:

At first I thought this center door had an interesting grill. Then I noticed the front springs. What's up with that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:35 am:

Yet another non-improvement improvement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:42 am:

Spring is in the air!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:54 am:

I like accessories but those springs I have never seen before. Radiator grill I have seen before.
Nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

Those springs are probably from a Franklin of that era. For those not familiar, Franklins used four full-elliptical springs --- two on front, two on rear --- without any sort of radius rod or perch poles. The driving force was through the spring itself. Amazing that they worked as well as they did, for they gave the car about the softest, smoothest ride of any car at the time.

Franklin springs on a Model T is an intriguing thought. With the Ford radius rods on both axles, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Although I doubt it would be as robust as the Ford system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

Center-door sedans tend to pitch and sway a lot. That would probably make a more stable ride.
Thanks all!
Always good to hear from you, Lance!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

i don't see any fish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

Tyrone. :-). :-). I expected to see the same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:10 pm:

If someone could think it up back in the T days, it happened!

The Model T was the car that started aftermarket parts afterall :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

As an ex Missouri hobby farmer I like Fords spring arrangement. I will confess that I don't have a Model T yet but I do have a 28 Model A open pickup that I used when on my farm to water newly planted trees on my 800 foot driveway. I bought a plastic 4x4x4 foot container that they ship all kinds of stuff in. Mine was for pickle juice. There was a guy near me that raised thousands of acres of cucumbers and supplied most of the little quartered pickles that we get when we go to a restaurant. The trees seemed to love the pickle flavoured water. I would drive down the driveway back and forth across the drainage ditch beside the trees and marvelled at how the chassis would twist with the two point attachment it worked really well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

The hood is after market also. i suppose that's the proud owner standing beside it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:44 am:

Looks like there is a ghost behind the steering wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Those springs would good on a speedster. I have thought about building a speedster and using the springs from a early 1920s Chevy frame. I think that would be an interesting look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

Rick I have a chevy front axle w/ the 1/2 springs attached . If anyone can use them its for sale danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:08 pm:

I'm happy to see that original ad, as I have a T chassis w/full springs in the front and 3/4 elipitic's on the rear, I'm building a assy T out of it,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

Now that really takes away from Henry's 3 point suspension design, looks very limited in free travel now. I'm guessing you couldn't drive that one over a huge dirt bank anymore like we've seen in the old films, I'd bet it would turn over.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration