Another "What did I buy?"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Another "What did I buy?"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

Most of us have had the experience at an auction of buying a pile of stuff to get something that's in the pile. Sometimes when you sort things out later you find some interesting items. That brings me to this engine. I thought maybe Ford Model A (I don't know anything about those modern cars) but so far I haven't found any Ford markings on the block or the rods. Can anybody tell me what this is? Do the stars before and after the serial number mean Durant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

January 1929 Model A per the stamped number. If the pad is as-cast, then they're probably original to the block. Stars were originally stamped before and after the number. Numbers also became a special font later in production to discourage tampering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:34 pm:

Model A engine, January 1929

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

OK, thanks. I suspected Model A, but the lack of a Ford logo anywhere had me wondering because it's on lots of T parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:34 am:

Is it one of the desirable super strong (extra thick castings) engines or a standard model A engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:10 am:

The front cover is for a solid front mount, not the usual sprung mount--can't remember when that change happened, thought it was way before '29, although the later mount will bolt up to it just fine. The bracket looks like it MIGHT be for a powerhouse generator, another 'early' A feature.
Kep, unless it has a 5 bearing camshaft support, it's just a standard block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 04:10 am:

Diamond block?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 06:25 am:

As stated, 1-29 Model A engine. The front cover has been messed with so it may not be original to this engine. Even so, it is the correct type since ford used this type till all were gone before the change to the later style. The block has the characteristics of ma 5 cam bearing block but the exterior bosses on the rear are not always the best indicator. The block is too early to be a reinforced block which have the diamond or a 31 build date. The pad and number look like the originals. A look inside would confirm the cam bearing quandary.
I have a collection of parts from these motors which include 30 blocks, many pans, timing covers from 28-38, and dipper trays, all to study the changes from 28 to end of production.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration