Positioning pin on timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Positioning pin on timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J McCathern on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:35 am:

I have just started working on my grandfather's 1914 touring. He passed away in 2003 and I finally got it to my place last year. My goal is to get it running this year. I have read a lot of the posts here and know that there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can help. I need to know how to remove the positioning pin in the timer. I think mine is worn down too much. Please pic. Thanks in advance for your help. Timer positioning pin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:58 am:

They just slip in the hole.Try an ice pick and try to pry it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:07 am:

Make sure you put it back together the same way, early cams have the hole go right through and the timing can be 180 degrees out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 07:30 am:

I have a pocket screwdriver with a magnet in the end of the handle. It works great for removing the pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:55 am:

Perhaps yours is a rivet rather than a pin. If so, punch it out. If the hole doesn't go all the way through, you have a later camshaft (likely) and you'll have to pry it out as recommended above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Perhaps yours is a rivet rather than a pin. If so, punch it out. If the hole doesn't go all the way through, you have a later camshaft (likely) and you'll have to pry it out as recommended above. Its also likely you have a rotor body with only one hole. If that is the case, you'll have to pry it out whether or not you have the through hole in the camshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J McCathern on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

Thanks for the help. I got the old one off but the new Anderson time I am putting back on is tight. Is there a lubricant I can use or just tap it on? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

You'll want to be able to remove it again for maintenance or repairs so too tight isn't a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 07:06 pm:

The new pins fit too tight in the hole. I use a little file or sand paper to thin them down a little bit.

Stephen

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration