Corcoran lamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Corcoran lamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:58 am:

Were the Corcoran lamps used on the 1914 Model T? If not, what would be the proper head/side/tail lamp manufacturer? Are the Corcoran more desirable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:14 am:

Corcoran lamps were the least common lamp in 1914. I don't think they are any more or less desirable than any other brand. Victor, E&J and Brown were used, typically in sets of five with matching carbide generator.

The Brown lamps are the most complex, thus harder to restore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:29 am:

Thanks, Royce. I wasn't sure on which lamps to use - I put a deposit down on a nice '14 Touring and it comes with a complete set of both Corcoran and Brown lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

I would use the best set and sell the rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 02:29 pm:

I have Corcoran lamps on my '14 speedster. I like the black and brass. They are one of the few things still original to the car AFAIK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

Concur with Royce on Corcorans being used the least on '14 Fords. I have a lot of '13-'14 cowl lamps and only one Corcoran. Even have a real nice pair of Brown cowl lamps with steel chimney tops and brass fount tops. Anyone need a NOS pair of '13 Victor #1 cowl lamps and a restored Victor #1 tail lamp? I've never seen a 100% original 1914 Model T and I've often wondered if they really endeavored to match all 5 lamps with the carbide generator in the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:22 am:

According to Bruce McCalley, they didn't always take the time (or have the time) on the assembly line to match head lamps with cowl lamps or carbide tanks. It makes sense, especially if one of the items were already assembled on the car when it came to the next assembly area. Whose gonna have the time to run to the front of the car, check which lamps were put on, then go back to the cowl lamp box/pile and find the correct, matching lamps? I don't think Henry would have been too happy with that kind of efficiency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:23 am:

George, based on what you say would you use the Corcoran lamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:12 am:

Sure I'd use 'em. I think most of us nowadays like to have all 5 matching and, even though the Jno. Browns are larger, the Corcorans are equally as pleasing and, due to their rarity, would give you an additional "hey, look at me" quotient. Indeed, if you have a choice of cowl lamps you're fortunate. At best its a matter of personal preference. I'm drawn to the front beveled lens so E&J is to my liking.
One time, several years ago, a self-proclaimed 'expert' told me those steel chimney top Jno Brown cowl lamps were for the TTs. I just smiled, shook my head and walked away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Bill, you've seen my 14 and know that its is a very original car. My side and tail lamps are Corcoran and I believe they are original to the car. The headlamps are E and J but, curiously,have no number stamped on them. Where the number is usually stamped, it's blank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 06:24 pm:

Marty - just curious but who made the carbide tank?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 06:41 pm:

My '14 has Brown side and tail lamps and E&J headlamps with a matching generator. My other '14 has Victor lamps all around with an E&J generator. God only knows if that's the way they came from the factory. I think just about anything goes in '14 so I would use whatever suited me best!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 10:11 pm:

For my .02 i think Royce is right about set's of 5 lamps.This has been around before and 100 years later did Ford mismatch the T-100's? Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

Bill, I think it's an E and J generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

Was Corcoran head lamps ever used on 13 T's? The first post talked about their use in 14. Is there any data that backs up when they were first used in model T production? I have all brass...12 style head lamps on our early 13 touring. Our 13 has the 12 style frame and muffler. It has a different tail lamp bracket compared to later 13's. Our car was never a frame off restoration and had the original leather upholstery until replaced a few years ago. The restoration in the early 50's was to paint lacquer over the original paint. The lacquer is pealing and I call it Patina. The frame was never cleaned or re-painted. All original body. Talked to the previous owner who bought it where it was stored in a garage in North Park San Diego around 1950. He said the brass head lamps were on the car at that time and are still there.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration