1926 Fordor with small drum brakes.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1926 Fordor with small drum brakes.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:58 am:

My 26 fordor has small drum brakes. It was replaced at one time, or made that way with leftover 25 parts. Would like to have the larger drum brakes. Are the gears and internal works the same if I was to change the outer housing & brakes? Or what has to be changed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:14 am:

You'll have to change the outer housings, the radius rods, the brake drums, brake shoes and the brake rods. Internal parts should fit just fine.

The brake rods for 26/27 are bent differently and shorter, so I guess it's possible to thread, shorten and rebend the older rods to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:10 am:

I have seen original pictures of early production '26 cars with small drum rear ends. Why not keep it original and just add some other brakes (Rocky's, disc etc). The small drum AC's work well especially in conjunction with lined small drum shoes. Or make it really safe with front wheel brakes and don't sweat what is on the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 11:45 am:

Check your engine number for a production date. As Les says your car may have come from the factory with small drums and would be original to the car. If more stopping power with an add-on system is your goal there's more options for you to look into than tossing $ at a drum change over. RM's are available for small drum systems. A better investment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 02:30 pm:

I'm checking in to the AC brakes. Thanks for the input. This forum is great!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

The number 12737437 was made Nov. 1925. So it may have been done with small brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

I doubt it came from the factory that way. Although the Fordor did lag behind in Ford's schedule of improvements. The 11" drums were known to exist by early July 1925 and 26 production started in August. More than likely the rear axle assembly was replaced either because the original was damaged or the car is made from parts. Does it have a 26 frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

Allow me to be slightly sceptical about a november 1925 Fordor to have been built with a small drum rear axle in the US - don't know what was done in Canada. In august OK, maybe the engine has been replaced with a slightly newer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:44 pm:

Well I know I have seen pictures of new cars built in September that had the small drum rear axle. I am sure that big drum axles started to be available in July, but there is no telling when small drum axles were stopped being used. Additionally I have seem 4 1926 Fordor's with small drum axle (owned one of them). I can not recall seeing more than one touring with one. And they sold a LOT more tourings. Now my observations are mostly Canadian cars. Any chance your Fordor is Canadian? The quick check is the "Roberstson" (square recess) head wood screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

Dan
Does your engine number match the frame number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 04:17 pm:

No frame numbers before december '25

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

Luckily then, his car is a '26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Les, interesting that 26 Ts have sometimes had small drum brakes. You don't mention what size wheels were used. I have seen a number of improved cars, 26 models with large drums but 30 x 3.5" BE wheels. I presumed these were using carryover wheels.

Your sightings are puzzling, as they would suggest the axles were carryover parts. I too am used to Canadian sourced cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

Dan,

Your 1926 sedan body may have had the frame and running gear swapped out from under it after a crash. My 1927 tudor had a 1923 frame under it with a 1923 small-drum rear end. A clue is the serial number on the left rail under the front floor board. It should match the engine number, or at least be a 1926 number. No number? It's an earlier frame.

It's more likely to find a late FY1925 body from the factory with a large-drum rear end than a 1926 body with a small-drum rear end. Demountable clinch-rim tires were an option in 1926, but cars with them used the large-drum brakes.

I suggest updating your differential. All the internals are the same, and 26/27 differential casings are not hard to find. Let me know if you can't find one. I've got a spare set. The Improved Car brake is vastly superior to the pre-26 units, and it fits a Rocky Mt. setup nicely.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 06:24 pm:

i'm with james, plenty of housings in minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

Basically any T sold in Canada from the factory with a starter had demountable rims. My understanding is you could order a non-starter T in '26 and you got non-demountable rims (the poor mans special). The 30 x 3 1/2 clincher remained popular as service was available everywhere. Remember ALL Canadian T's had been equipped with 30 x 3 1/2 tires until the 21" rim came along. So the easy decision is '25-26 was to go with the clincher rim as tires tubes and service knowhow was available everywhere. Additionally the narrow tires plowed mud and snow better
Allan
Consider that in Canada we got many improvements sooner but some things came latter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

So Roger is telling us that if his car does NOT have a frame number is was built pre December 25. We know the '26 cars came out by September of '25, so Jerry's comment is meaningless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:25 am:

Cannot find any frame numbers. So for some reason the frame & diff. had been changed at some time. Guess I'll stay with the smaller brakes & add AC's.
Tire size is 21" rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

Dan
Do you have a '26 frame (long rear crossmember and stamped steel running board arms). It appears to be quite reasonable for your car to NOT have a sn on the frame and still be a '26 (built in '25).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:02 pm:

Rear crossmember, the one with the rear spring extends out to the inner edge of the wheel well. The running board arms are u shaped stamped steel, instead of rod style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

This adds little of value to the discussion (I'm good at that) but had an interesting thought in regard to Ford "using up leftover parts". One would think that Ford would have had the foresight to use up the "leftover" small drum rear ends on the lighter cars (roadster for example) instead of on the heavier Fordor sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:57 pm:

My 26 touring is a december 25 car & it doesn't have frame numbers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration