Battery for Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Battery for Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:12 pm:

Hello,
Still working on bringing my '27 coupe out of mothballs. I went looking for a new battery the other day and had a quick question. What CCA should I be looking at. I found group number 1 with around 600CCA and group number 4 with a whoppng 975CCA. I believe the group 4 would be to much for the old car. Is the group 1s 600CCA to much as well. I don't want to burn out the starter with to much amperage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:45 pm:

Randy, I use the group 1 battery. It also fits in the battery box. Some batteries may not fit.
The extra amp rating would not scare me, the starter only uses what it needs. Just since you have a large battery with a high current rating, it does not mean the starter will use it all.
If you replace any starting system wiring, stay with the large 6 volt type, not with the smaller wire used on 12 volt systems.
Have fun with that coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

Buy a Group 1 battery at Tractor Supply. Group I 6 volt batteries will fit a lot of old cars and tractors. Auto-Zone has them also.
Wherever you buy one just make sure you get a fresh on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

I got all my Group 1 batteries at Carquest.
They aren't cheap but they're darn good batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 07:00 pm:

The common T battery at the tractor supply stores is a group one but if you want to save time just tell them you need one for a "N" Ford tractor. The 9N, 2N, and 8N Ford tractors all used the battery you are looking for and it will fit fine in your holder and easily spin your T since it has less compression and HP than the N tractor does. The best way to get a fresh battery is to buy it from a store that sells a lot of tractor batteries since N tractors are still pretty common. The local Blain's Farm and Fleet has a ton of 6V batteries in stock and they have very fresh date codes that prove they are selling lots of batteries. They are relatively inexpensive which I know is the most important thing of all to a T guy :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 07:24 pm:

For the heck of it, I put a Ford decal I bought from Macs on the side of my battery case the battery came from tractor supply but the decal caused a lot of people to think the battery was OEM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

After looking at all the above mentioned suppliers, my wife suggested looking at NAPA. I did not know they offer a senior discount. Because I am a senior, I do not remember what the discount was, but bottom line, the 6 volt battery there was less by $15, with a 4 year warranty. This was July of 2013.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Randy

You can't burnout a starter with a battery rated for a lot of CCA (assuming of course that the battery voltage is correct for the starter). For a given voltage and given load, the starter will use the same amps no matter the size of the battery.

More CCA simply means it will crank LONGER

More Amp hours means it will run a given accessory LONGER.

Generally the more amp hours the larger and heavier the battery will be. A group 4 is pretty hefty to carry in your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

Tractor supply last Saturday. 89.99
T spins over great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 04:12 pm:

Here is a link to the local Farm and Fleet store where I buy batteries. The actual battery a the link is in my T but I bought it many years ago for $24.95 but it is the same exact battery. Still going and going and going.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/040573-blains-farm-and-fleet-6v-24-month-co mmercial-battery.html#.UyC--j9dXTo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:15 pm:

Farm & Fleet and Fleet & Farm (two different companies) are in the upper mid-west. In San Angelo the equivalent would be TSC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:59 am:

I have 2 A's and 2 T's and they all have the Tractor Supply (Exide) 6 volt group 1 batteries in them. I've owned all of them for over 25 years. Earlier I was getting 5 or 6 years life out of them (Walmart & TS brands) but now get about 1 to 2-1/2 years out of them. It's getting expensive at $80 + tax a clip. Do any of the other brands hold up better and what do they cost?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:23 am:

Since I don't run my T's all the time I use a battery trickle charger. It keeps the battery charged then automatically cuts off when its charged. It does make them last longer for me anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:00 am:

The Super Start battery in my touring is still good. I bought it December 13, 2008, at O'Reilly for $64.07.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:33 am:

I don't use a trickle charger on them but I charge them about every 3 months when they are idle. This is what I always did when they lasted longer. I think that I have a pretty good "intelligent" charger.

O'Reilly sounds good and they are convenient to me. I didn't know you could get 6 volt batteries from them. I assume that they are ordered. Saving $15 sounds good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

I am appalled by the short battery life some people are reporting. Living in "the frozen north" I of course am only a seasonal driver as well. And quite honestly I do tend to neglect my batteries. I don't charge them over the winter, but my cars do sit in heated storage. I feel that the best thing I ever bought to extend the life of my batteries was a ONE amp UNREGULATED ("stupid") charger. Something like this is not as easy to buy anymore, but they are still around. My experience is if you "hit" your battery with 6-10-15 amps you will not have much luck. Putting the one amp charger on and leaving it for a day and maybe two has worked very well for my. Patience can be a real virtue with this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

In the past I bought a some DuraStart labeled Fleet Farm batteries.
Never again.
I switched to Carquest batteries only after Delco prices went nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

Good enough...Group #1 it will be then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

I got a new group 1 battery from Autozone this week. It was manufactured 2-14. So it is a fresh battery and works well.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration