Are colours critical - Your thoughts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Are colours critical - Your thoughts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Marshall on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

I am ahead of myself here as far as painting but I really want to paint my 23' T the latest New Zealand Ford Falcon, Orange ( Very Deep almost burnt orange colour).
I have read many posts that gives me the impression I should be true to the model and not deviate. I want what I want but when I am ready to ticky tour about I would hate to think other T people think I am an idiot or plain crazy to paint such a non genuine colour?

Your thoughts on this subject please,

Kindest regards
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

It's your car,paint it the color you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

Any colour you want as long as it's black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

Well, I agree. Some will think you're an idiot to paint a Model T such a nontraditional color. It will affect the value of your car.
But as Jack says, its your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

I'm with Jack. Any color you like should be fine. Some of the best looking T's I've seen are non-standard colors. I really like the color you're talking about against black fenders and running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:43 pm:

Canadian T's can be any colour as they usually ended up being painted by the local body builders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

You will get "stuff" about from purists that can't keep their mouths shut. If that doesn't bother you have at it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:45 pm:

Many T's were painted different colors shortly after leaving the factory because their owners wanted something different.

My grandfather made a good living painting T's and other makes. He did it with a brush using something he called "New enamel" and swore it flowed out so well you couldn't tell it from factory finish. I can still remember him talking about it. His speciality was pinstriping.

So, regardless of the picture we all have in our minds of thousands of black T's running around, it just wasn't so. The black and white pictures of the day further confused the issue.

So you can paint it black, or pretend you drove it home from the dealer last week, decided you wanted something different, and hired my gramps to paint it canary yellow (or whatever). ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

At least you are thinking about a Ford color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:04 pm:

My 2 cents is if you will be proud to show up in a group with the non original color, by all means go for it. If you will feel sheepish or even slightly embarrassed or uncomfortable I wouldn't do it.

It will most likely stand out, and will significantly reduce the number of potential buyers should you ever decide to sells, as most t owners prefer stock colors.
Vince m

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

My favourite period correct orange is "Henry Ford Orange"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

Your car your color. Mines red and black! :-) The next TI get will be red and black also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

If it is a matter of value for resale, the T can be painted black when you get ready to sell. Now,I have a real color question, I have a 1924 Tudor that is painted blue. The T came from Illinois and a gas gauge in the vehicle has "Roxana Gasoline" printed on the back. Roxana was where Shell started in 1912 and is in Illinois just north of East St Louis, IL. Does anyone know if this was a fleet car painted blue for the Shell Gasoline Corp.? About 1971 I had a 1924 Coupe which had been painted the same color blue but have no idea where it originated. Could they have been fleet cars? I appreciate any help.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

One way of getting away with an orange T is by doing some research into brands from the 1920s that used orange...for example, maybe a tyre, petrol or oil company that no longer exists used the colour orange. Could be a non-car related brand also. You could paint your car orange as well as the company logo and/or name on the side. Most T guys would not be against an orange T I think in that way. I think that would be sort of cool and interesting if done with some thought and care.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:33 am:

There's enough black cars out there, one orange one shouldn't create an imbalance in the Force. Besides, it'll make your car easier to find in the parking lot at cruise-ins.

Richard, I'd like to see this blue tudor of yours. Sounds interesting. I don't know if having a gas gauge is enough evidence to call it a fleet car, but if Roxana used the same color blue it's just as hard to argue against it as it is to argue for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:44 am:

David One Question. Are you trying to build a trailer queen to compete at Hershey, Pa. or something you can drive on weekends and vacation/tours? If it's the latter it's your choice and you may garner more of the lookers and dreamers at rest stops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:18 am:

My Orange and white T (Speedster)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:39 am:

Chuck,I like how you accessorized it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

I agree with the 'resale' comments. If you never intend to sell it, paint it whatever color that makes you happy. However, if you do go to sell it, just be aware that it will not appeal to everyone. But take what I say with a grain of salt, as I am one of the vilified purist on this board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:25 pm:

Thanks Jack, I had them sign the tool box, I am hoping to get the UT Football team to sign it as well. I will be working on that this year. I have 3 more of these in the works. 1 will be a Shriner Speedster and the other 2 I have not decided on the colors yet. Thinking KY and Auburn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

David Marshall:

Paint it any color you want, its your car. I actually like some of non original paint jobs BETTER. I painted a 26 roadster for a friend one time an bright ski blue. I didn't think I was going to like it until I installed the black fenders and splash aprons and I liked it real well. I have been around a lot Ts that were sold and I have never heard anyone say "I won't buy that T because its the wrong color" Considering that is silly, if anyone is rebuilding a T with the main consideration that they are going to make money rebuilding one I have news for them. If they rebuild one correctly there is a good chance they are just going to lose money!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:30 pm:

David Marshall:

I meant to say that if someone rebuilds a T correctly or not you still have GOOD chance that you are going to lose money any way.

The color on this 25 didn't mean a difference in the selling price. The widow set her price and it sold.

Robert's T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

There is a lot to be said for keeping these cars as original as possible and that is a lot of what the clubs are for. Especially early rare ones. However it is your car and first priority is to do it the way you and those who will be enjoying it want it. No matter how you do it someone could always find fault with it. I have restored cars many different ways but always the way I wanted them and have never been disappointed in them. Bottom line is to have fun and keep at it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Dwyer on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

Not having read every post, but my two bits:
1) Your car, your favorite color. End of story.
2) If you ever want to sell your car, having an authentic, correct color will make a difference to many buyers. The reason, not including personal taste, is that it is so expensive to repaint a car anymore (and do it well) that some guys will avoid a car which they feel needs better paint.

Same with your house. Paint it any color you want but when it comes time to sell, authentic, conservative colors will get the buyer's approval.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Marshall on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 02:36 pm:

Hi Team T Well I did ask ! I think now that I will paint my car the orange I like. It is being built for me to enjoy and not to sell. As far as making money. In New Zealand it cost probably twice, even three times the value of the car to restore so profit is a non existent word in this area.
I don't want a show car that is so precious that I am too afraid to use it, I am going to enjoy the simple art of motoring, 90 odd years ago. Thank you for all your comments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

Paint it any colour you wish. Black is a hard colour to spray. Although Henry flowed it on over a tank and others in the paint line evened it up, catching the drips with a paint brush. I painted my 1916 speedster a Model A colour: Red Coach Vermillion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

"Any color as long as it's black" is a major part of Model T heritage. For a stock-bodied car, I personally would stick with the factory color, but for a speedster or commercial body anything goes...

That said, it's your car and it's your hobby. Enjoy it how you wish. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

Here is the official Ford color chart.

color chart

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:12 pm:

David. I am familiar with the falcon colour you are thinking of using. It is one of their "hero" colours.There is nothing to stop you altering the formula to your liking. Most modern colours are too 'clean'. They need to be dirtied up a little to make them period correct.

When I painted my Haigh's chocolate van I selected a Holden colour which was too clear. By adding 16% deep black it became the rich maroon I was after. You just need to keep track of what you add to the formula in case you want to duplicate it at a later date.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewitt on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:23 pm:

After owning a "t" for some time rust is my color

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

If you are painting the car in order to prepare it for sale then you should consider the effect of a odd orange color. If you are painting it your favorite color and don't plan to sell, go for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

Ya it might make it stand out and sell faster! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

Speaking of New Zealand, if you want a unique but authentic paint job on your Model T that will make it stand out above all other Model T's, consider the attached 2012 threads. Very interesting discussions and photos regarding two toned body paint schemes that were prevalent down under in New Zealand. Were I to restore another Model T, while I would not paint it in an unauthentic modern orange as you advocate, I would most definitely consider painting it in a two toned paint scheme discussed in the below two threads, but as everyone points out, it is your car to do with as you please. As long as you're happy and proud of the results, that is the important thing. Just remember that a paint job is one of the most expensive, difficult, time consuming jobs in a restoration and can make or break a car. If you go to all the work and expense of painting your car an unorthodox color only to discover after you are done, that you and everyone else hates the color, it will defeat the whole purpose of restoring the car and can be very discouraging and cause for some sleepless nights knowing that the only way to undo the damage is to do it all over. Best to get it right the first time. Jim Patrick

1. www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/292458.html.
2. www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/291980.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:42 am:

I painted my '11 a medium green with a single stage enamel, under carriage is black. I've got cream colored Buffalo wheels and cream colored pin stripping.... those colors with brass and the wood firewall look great. I've always been traditional before this, but it looks good and I get a lot of compliments. Other than the color and wire wheels it's very correct; more so than most of the 11's I see out there. I don't plan on selling it.... if I do, I could always take a week's vacation and repaint it. Sure, it's a pain, but it's mostly sanding time since the bodywork is already done and masking off the upholstery. I went with the wire wheels are so I can easily change a spare, but I really do like the wood wheels and plan on converting back to them this year.

What I don't care for are the metallic (I've seen a '15 that's a green metallic and it just doesn't look right) and clear-coated paint jobs because they look too good for the period of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 07:56 am:

I would venture to say that any traditional color you paint your Model T, that was available back then (such as red, blue, green, yellow, white, black, gray, tan, brown, or mixture thereof), would be correct for the Model T era, for just as now, Model T owners were not always content to settle for what Old Henry dictated they accept and I'm sure that, were you to go back in time, you would see a wide variety of Model T's painted in different colors and even today, when undertaking a restoration, the history of the many colors the car was painted over its 87 to 105 year life is evident in the layers of paint that are removed. Back then they were just as varied in their tastes as we are and so, were prone to paint their cars according to their taste and preference and the colors were only limited by their sense of adventure, their wallet, their skill, the available equipment and what colors were available to them at the time. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:39 am:

Hi David, you own the car so you paint it any colour you want from pink to baby poop brown, thats rust by another name, black was never on the list for export cars as only funeral vehicles were black out side the US and Canada as Mr. French found out when he came to Australia with his black painted cars and he was quick to repaint then to green and blue or what ever so you do what you want and not what the sheep believe is the correct colour just because some book tells you. When the first group of American T owners came here in 1983 they could not believe the colours of our cars and many went home and repainted their cars what they want, the vintage ford would look crap with all black cars in it. Orange sounds great to me... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:50 am:

I was just reading some more threads about it will affect the resale of the car, that not true and comes into the BS file as our cars command what ever the market will bare and bring higher prices the the US, why do you think we buy your cheap T for, because the look orignal in black and that makes them worth more, they are so much cheaper than ours and then we convert many to RHD and can make money on them. I just purchased a car in California and the owner is under the impression that the US title will carry on with the car over here and the details are carved in stone, once its in that container the US title is not worth the paper its printed one so you go by the rules in new Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:42 am:

Ray Green,

Does the T's in Australia and new Zealand have Good Looking Accessories like those found on Chuck Godfrey's Speedster?
There can be "Hazards" to good looking Accessories like those.

Some years ago, I entered our 1906 1cyl. REO in a local Christmas parade that was held at night. My wife....when asked....replied, she was not interested in going. At the event, I was selected to lead with "Miss" Chula Vista sitting next to me. By the time the parade was over, the car trailered back home and put away, I quietly got in bed without waking my wife.
The next morning while eating breakfast, my wife asked me how things went? I responded....It went well but you did not miss anything.
She went out to get the morning paper and on the front page was a picture of me driving Miss Chula Vista in the REO. I will not get in to the details of that conversation.....however, my wife has never missed another parade involving me bringing an old car.

Smile! True Story

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:04 am:

Hi Les, we have dud extras for the cars and you have better ones that why we buy them as well over there but we get some good radiator mascots that is not on the US market... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

Chuck...Speedster? What speedster? For the life of me I don't see any speedster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

I have seen many model Ts with a deep gloss black finish, that would be just as far from original as an orange paint job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

A lot depends on whether or not you want to show your car. If it is just for driving, any color you like is OK. Also if you show in a custom car show, you might get more points for being original (in your thinking rather than original color.) The cars I remember when I was a boy were dull flat black. The original shine didn't last as long as modern paints.

Anyway it all depends on what YOU want.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

Our 14 should be repainted and if Grandmaw would let me i would paint it red!! I really like the two tone red and black.All model T's were not painted the same when built!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:16 pm:

A. Gustaf, what do you mean gloss black is not original? That's how they were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Godfrey on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:21 pm:

Tim trust me there is one there! All those young ladies sitting on the T at one time and kinda on one side, I was a little spooked. Everyone that has seen this picture wanted to know if they went with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:35 pm:

I wonder how long it will take until the myth " Model T's were flat black" is finally relegated to the rubbish bin. As Dave Wells photo shows they were gloss (in the above case gloss Dark Blue) but black or blue they left the factory with a clear gloss finish over the color, a poorer quality clear but a similar paint process to most modern cars today.

This like all clears up until about 20 years ago failed in a short time due to the Ultra Violet sun light rays. If you check original paint on cars 50 years old they will also be less glossy or flat, you probably can easily find some fairly new cars out in a parking lot with no gloss also.

Back to David's question, there is no doubt a good percentage of Model T's were repainted by their owners in all sorts of colors. I recently found an ad in a 1922 newspaper for a "violet" colored Model T for sale.

Not sure exactly what the Ford Orange you are refering to is as a color, but if it is a modern metallic or a pearl color ( which Constantines' example is) then I would regard that as a step too far, for a hot rod yes a normal Model T "NO". Still its your car!!!

Here is an restored Australian bodied Model T painted in the original color it was sold in. More of a mustard but its not that far to orange.

Murray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:12 am:

After reading this I feel like buying another T and painting it pink, he could end up with a car like mine that changes colour to purple in the sun light as opposed to deep blue under lights at night, Im use to a two colour car but it is off putting some times at shows when the public see it in the morning then again late after noon and ask why it changed colour or have we swapped cars but this all black will never die while people do not know that America was not the only country to have model T's or read totally inaccurate history or restoration books..
Let him paint it orange, Ray

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration