Rear hubs for a late 11 / early 12

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rear hubs for a late 11 / early 12
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:06 am:

If I recall correctly there is a difference with the rear hubs used in late 11 / early 12 with the clamshell rear end as compared to the common ones that came after..... I think it had to do with the length of the axle tube and interference when mounting the hub on the axles. Does anybody remember what the difference is, and if possible can you post pictures?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

Hi Gary. I'm not aware of a difference and didn't notice any problems when assembling mine. I do know that the locating dimple for the bearing sleeve is in a different spot though.

Andrew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

I thought the thread area near the hub cap was different, the same as the front hubs. I could be wrong...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

The rear hubs for the straight axles (1909 - about mid 1911) looked similar to the front hubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:06 pm:

That straight hub was gone in very early 11. They did make a 6" straight hub for a short time during that last of the straight axle rear hub type but as I said it was gone in very early 1911 model year and I kind doubt seeing it in calendar year 1911. John Barr had those on his Touring car which he called a 1910 but it was built on October 9, 1910 and that technically would make it a very early 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

The late 1911 - 1916 rear hubs are just like later wood wheel hubs except they don't have Ford script. Some time about 1916 - 17 they started to have Ford script.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

I thought there was a difference on the "inside" of the hub, something to do with interference against the grease retainer..... and if you used a later hub with the clamshell you needed to machine it off. I know there is a raised ring that centers the brake drum; I was thinking the raised area near the hole for the axle was not raised on the early tapered hub. I'd be glad to know I am wrong!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

I have an early 1911 number 38,575 with the straight axle's and 6" hub. The hub is the same as the later one's but with the straight axle bore, not the tapered. The date on that would Feb. 16th 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william louis rosenthal on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 08:33 am:

I have a set of 1912 rear hubs where the hub cap thread length is about 5/8", where another set (year unknown) have these threads only 5/16" in length. Curious whether this amounts to a marked manufacturing change, or simply variance between parts suppliers? Both sets have identical cast geometry facing the axle seal, and neither set has foundry hallmarks.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woolf on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 06:14 am:

I have a late 1911(built in August)number 63667 that has the straight axles with 6" hubs.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 06:43 am:

Mine is also August, 63277, with tapered axles and clamshell rear end, matches the build sheet.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:23 am:

Build sheet? I'm a relative newbie, that's the first mention I've seen of a Model T Ford build sheet, what does it look like and where did you find it?

All of the Mopars that I have restored in the past had one or more build sheets tucked under the rear seat or carpet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 09:52 am:

Mark-
Build sheet are available from the Benson Ford Research Center for cars with serial numbers 1,119 to 70,920.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

Aren't they called Invoices and not "build sheets"? Dan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration