OT - An Interesting Mystery Car For You To Identify

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - An Interesting Mystery Car For You To Identify
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:58 am:

Many of you mentioned that you enjoyed last weeks mystery car which was a Matheson. This week we have another high-quality machine with an interesting story connected with
the photo.

So go to work and see if you can identify it, and if you do send in a comment to http://theoldmotor.com/?p=116663 were we will post all the replies on Friday. Two enlargements of the photo
can also be found there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 07:38 am:

I think it is a 1907 S&M Simplex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:15 am:

I don't think I've seen a pre 1910 car with non brightwork radiator (although there probably were some). My guess is 1911 Simplex. This 1911 Simplex Model 50 example is from Conceptcarz:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:29 am:

Did Rob and Royce just agree on something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:37 am:

Sorry guys, good answers as it looks quite like one, but it is not a Simplex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 10:02 am:

Herb,
Yes, partially. :-)

I'm looking for a 1911-1914 car due to the license plate and solid color radiator shell. No front doors or electric lights make it tough to think it's 13 or 14 (year), but who knows.

David,
I like these quizes. Too bad I often flunk them......
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 10:19 am:

Rob, Your answer was very good though and it was exactly what one might think it should be. Keep trying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 10:56 am:

Its foreign, probably 1911 or so Mercedes or similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:21 am:

It appears to be chain drive based on the sprocket box at the rear of the running board. I would guess this car is 1905-1908 based on the cowl windshield configuration and the fenders. Noting the license plate is 1914.

I don't believe its foreign based on the American options, Solar eclipse headlamps, Gray and Davis side lamps and Klaxon electric horn. Also the radiator is a solder dipped core, Fedders type and rarely used on foreign cars. I'm guessing based on the hood configuration its is likely a 6 cylinder motor.

Interesting to note, how well stripped the hood and radiator is and the lack of striping on the body. As far as the make, still thinking.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 05:50 pm:

1908 Chadwick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

1907 HOL TAN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Taylor on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

My guess would be a 1910 Mercedes 45hp 4-Seat Tourabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

more precise, early imported fiat, 1907 imported by hol tan, who later did in fact have their own name plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

Before 1911 Pierce Arrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:40 am:

Rob,
I believe White gas cars had painted radiators originally, made of brass but painted from the factory.
Many restorers cannot bring themselves to sand the radiator so the paint will get a grip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:16 am:

We have identified it and you can learn more about it @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=116663

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:31 am:

I thought so, but it was earlier than i suggested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:52 am:

Cool car. Looks like one guy is sitting on another guy's lap. Hope they're friendly!! Or third row seat??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:32 am:

7 passenger, with jump seats.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration