Transmission Problem?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Transmission Problem?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:19 am:

I took my '26 Roadster out for the first drive yesterday. All was good for the first five miles. On the way back home I have to pull a long steep hill and the motor bogged down and stalled. I restarted and off I went but when I moved the lever from vertical to forward it bogged down again. As long as the lever is vertical it's ok and runs along fine. Ideas? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:23 am:

Is it only bogging down on the hill, or does it do now even on the flat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:30 am:

I didn't have a chance to try it on the flat. It's a hill all the way to the house. Down along the river on the flat it was fine. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:32 am:

Have you rebuilt the rear end in your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:35 am:

No, that's my next project. The car is new to me, only put a few miles on it. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:38 am:

I had one that when I put it in gear,was like throwing 6 ton of weight on car and it would stall. It was from the rear end binding up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:38 am:

Odd, do you ever get the car in high gear if you have to have the brake lever vertical?

Are the brake rods misadjusted so putting the lever forwards pushes the brake arms too much rearwards so it applies the parking brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:46 am:

I'm going out to the shop now and will get it up on jack stands and see how things rotate in netural.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:51 am:

Just disconnect brake rods and let them hang till you get it figured out. Then you can readjust them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

Back from the shop. Running with the wheels off the ground all seems good. In netural, I can easly rotate the rear wheels. While under power or rotating by hand the rear end makes no noise. The rear brakes release and are free in netural. I pulled the inspection cover and none of the bands are tight or dragging. One thing I noticed is when I pull the lever back to apply the e-brake the engine speed slows a little. Some type of drag. Thanks for any ideas. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

Triple gear bushing are binding up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

I forgot to answer Roger's question. When I move the lever forward and let out on the pedal for high is when the motor pulled down. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 02:44 pm:

Pat,
With only two gears and only 20Hp it is normal for the engine to lug down when going form low to high and you can not pull much of a hill in high gear. That is the nature of the beast.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 03:00 pm:

You're right about that Jim! But I pulled that hill last fall in high. That's what has me puzzled. It really feels more like a bind or two bands applied at the same time.
Brendad, could you explain a little on the triple gear idea? Thanks PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

I am confused when you say it runs fine when the lever is vertical. Do you mean the engine runs fine in neutral but when in high gear the car bogs down while climbing a hill? If so, it sounds like a power loss that could be contributed to most anything, but in my experience, loss of power is most frequently the result of a worn timer and/or coils. If you don't have a coil tester, try shorting each spark plug separately while the car is running in neutral to determine which coil is weak. The weak or dead coil will typically show little change in engine speed when the connected spark plug is shorted to the head. Use an insulated screwdriver to avoid shock.
Also check the timer races for unevenness. They don't last forever. I change mine about every year or so for optimum running. Let us know what you find.
For the life of me I can't figure out how it could be a triple gear problem as the triple gears don't move when the car is running in high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

Richard, what I meant is that it doesn't bog down. The motor didn't miss, just ran out of power. This car has a New Day Timer, just for reference. I put about 10 miles on the car today and it ran perfect at all speeds. Except the hill again.
The only change this year is that I got the magneto working and was running on the mag. I'll do another test run tomorrow on the battery,(12v). And I'll run the suggested tests before I head out. Thanks, PK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:27 pm:

If those brake rods are out of adjustment, you will put the parking brake on when the lever is all the way forward, the same way as when it is all the way back.

That is why it is important to remove the two clevis pins and adjust the clevis with the lever all the way forward to the point where the pin will go back in without moving the rod in either direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:57 am:

Thanks James, I'll put that on the check list. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 06:55 pm:

Well I finally found the enemy and it was me! I did all the checks suggested and went for a drive, same thing on the hill. Then remembered I adjusted the slow speed link. I checked the slow speed link, not right. I adjusted it with a better understanding of what was supposed to happen per the book and it actually works. Thanks for all the help, PK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 06:59 pm:

Glad you found the problem, and thanks for the update.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary M. Wheeler on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 07:20 pm:

Can someone explain the adjustment of the slow speed link that causes the hill problem and what is the correct link?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

How tight are your bands? If the low band is too tight it will run just fine in low, but the low band will drag when in high. If it drags you will lose power and the low drum will get hot and crack. The bands should be adjusted to bottom out about 1 inch above the floorboard and with the engine running with the lever in neutral the car should not creep. Also when the lever is in neutral and the engine not running you should be able to turn crank with the car not moving and if you push the car the engine should not turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 12:33 am:

Norman, that was what I had. It's a whole different machine now. Just took a while and good advice to get it right. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:58 am:

Adjusting the bands until a pedal goes within a inch of the floor boards works just fine unless you have a pedal that is bent due to years and years of past drivers stomping hard on the pedals, especially the low pedal. Two of the Model T's I've rebuilt had bent low pedals that were almost impossible to adjust until the pedal stems were bent back to the proper shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

Michael P ; I am very interested in your last two words [ PROPER SHAPE ] Can you explain me what the proper shape is.
460R
Toon

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration