Dash board refinishing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Dash board refinishing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jonathan l schmidt on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 04:43 pm:

after stripping the crumbling finish off of the dash and coil box on my 1911 I now need to finish it. Just clear varnish? Please advise. thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 05:29 pm:

Go over and ask Warren Miller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Here are some threads on the subject:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/75643.html?1230344663
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/169404.html?1289097972
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/75373.html?1229361973

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:03 pm:

You'll need a UV resistant oil based stain and a good UV marine spar varnish. Get it in a gloss finish; it's more weather resistant. Let the stain and each clear coat dry at least 24 hours regardless of how soon the label says you can coat over it. I use 5 coats of spar when I do a coil box. Don't sand the stain and don't sand the first two clear coats; just a light scuffing with 320 grit non-loading paper to knock off any pips. After the 3rd coat dries is the time to sand it level. Once it is, sand it with 400 grit, then apply the 4th coat and sand with 600 before the final, 5th coat. Wash your hands, blow the dust off your clothing, and use a tack rag after each sanding and apply the clear with the best 2" natural bristle brush you can buy. Suspend it in a jar of mineral spirits after use. Before the next use, spin the brush free of the thinner (use a commercial brush spinner--borrow one from a painter or buy one if you have to) and use about 20 lbs. air pressure to blow any lint, dirt, loose bristles, etc., out of the brush. Blow from the ferrule toward the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Boy, now you're getting personal........I gotta call Warren. It's been a couple of weeks. Did you realize that he turned 93 last month?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

Jonathan-
Welcome to the forum. RV has some good advice. I think I used a semi-gloss or satin.

Here is mine, but it really isn't that "orange" looking. It is more of a red/burgundy .

: ^ )

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration