1925 Closed Car Windshield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1925 Closed Car Windshield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

I am looking for info on gaskets that will work on a 1925 Coupe that goes between the pillar and windshield frame. Has anyone found a solution to keep them weather-tight? Thank You

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

I should add, for those who are not familiar with it, it is a two piece windshield with the top half opening outward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

Hi Bob,

I have a '24 coupe and the windshield is similar to yours. I think that the finger pulls may be a bit different. Anyway, no one seems to be reproducing the rubber channel which fits into the windshield pillar. I found that the gasket from a pressure cooker (largest diameter you can find) cut to lenght and with a liberal application of glue works reasonably well. The pressure cooker gasket has just about the correct profile, to meet the ridge which runs up (down) the windshield frame. In using the largest diameter, you'll find it lays flat with less of a fight than a small diameter gasket.

Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 07:00 pm:

Thanks Bill. I think I heard of you the other day from Lang's (Dave I think). He told me of a guy that used the gasket from a pressure cooker. I went in and looked at ours, and it had no gasket...What type/brand cooker did you use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

Hi Bob,

Ayuh, probably Dave. He is researching the '24-'25 coupe for a book which he is writing and he and I have spoken at length regarding many of his findings.

As to the brand or type of pressure cooker, well that was likely eight or ten years ago. I'm not home right now, but I'll poke around and see if I have any notes on brand or manufacturer. I can tell you that I purchased the gasket a at local independent "Mom and Pop" hardware store, the type with merchandise (stuff) hanging from the ceiling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Brown, NC on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

Robert
If we are talking about the vertical sides of the top half of the windshield, here is what it did on my 25 Tudor. I used windshield wiper refills. My friend saves everything and had several old blades that I had the opportunity to pick thru. Of course they have to be shortened after you find a profile that will slide into the groove on the side of the windshield. They will need to fit pretty snuggly and will most likely need to be lubricated to slide in. WD40 or dish detergent will work. The ones that I used fit necely in the space between the windshield frame and the pillar and looked good, and no more cold air in my face.
Good luck
Roger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

No, those are different and are available through Lang's or Mac's. What I'm looking for goes between the wood pillar and the metal frame. Thanks for the response

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sosnoski on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:10 am:

I'm confused. There is nothing between the wood pillar and the metal frame. The rubber strip goes between the metal bracket (trim) and the windshield frame. There is nothing between the wood pillar and that bracket.

There should be a side bracket which screws to the inside of the wood pillar. This is the trim piece which has the bracket for the knob which holds the upper windshield open. There is a slot on the windshield side of that bracket which accepts a rubber gasket. The gasket makes the seal between the metal bracket and the side of the windshield.

The side of the windshield frame has a ridge. The rubber strip has a U shape to it, and two grooves along the straight edge. The grooves hold the rubber strip into the metal bracket. When the windshield closes, the ridge on the side of the frame slips into the U part of the channel to make the seal.

Right now nobody makes a replacement rubber strip for that. Some people do like Roger did and use a windshield wiper blade. Others have cut down the 7840C strip (which looks like a wiper blade). I think Bill has the best solution - if you can find one that fits.

Dave S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:38 am:

Hello Robert,
Thank you for your P.M. It is over twenty years since I restored our Fordor but I think I used the Windshield rubber pictured below. I had to buff some of the thicker end off to allow it to be pressed into the groove that Dave speaks of in the above thread.

It had lasted the distance of time in my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:22 pm:

Yes, I do now that there is not a gasket between the pillar and the metal frame, but that does not mean someone couldn't or shouldn't put one there to help with weatherproofing. They don't make all the rubber for all the cars anymore I realize and like a lot of this project, a lot of it has been improvised. What I am doing though is to make it a weathertight as possible...even the old drafty doors. I'll come up with something I'm sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

Another problem I've had throughout this project is the vagueness of the parts that some of these distributors carry...very non-descript. It would help if they could put some dimensions on some of these parts. It's buy it and then see if it's right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:35 pm:

Hi John. Does the fabric bead go behind the windshield post or the door trim. Mine didn't have anything for a telltale sign. My door trim was wrapped with a yellow vinyl material, not cloth. It was real ugly...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

Hello Robert,

The fabric bead is door trim and is commonly called windlace. From my research I believe that Model T closed car windlace was covered with the same upholstery material as the upper ( Above Door ) fabric.
Hope this helps

Regards, John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:28 am:

And so does the fabric just wrap around the wood pillar? Does it cover the face of the pillar where the door hinges are mortised in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:16 pm:

We have an excellent firm here in the UK - Edgware Motor Accessories who stock lots of sealing rubbers: you can download the profiles here
http://rubbertrim.co.uk/download.php

Unfortunately, you can't scale from this download, but you can if you get a hard copy in the post. Alternatively, you can send them a sample, or email a profile, and they will try to match it.

I need the seals for my 24 Fordor windshield, so if someone can give me a profile, I'll try to match it and order for anyone else who needs it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:18 pm:

Oh, sorry, I missed the fact that Langs sell it, don't know how I whizzed past that!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration