Barn Find: Getting it tomorrow

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Barn Find: Getting it tomorrow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:07 pm:

Found a nice '27 Coupe that hasn't been out for ten years... Picking it up tomorrow morning. Stay tuned for more details:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

WOW. Nice looking car. Great find.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

Pretty, Bill!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:18 am:

Beautiful T. Have fun with it. I wish there were barns in Bakersfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:22 am:

Well, it's actually a garage in Laguna with a BMW parked next to it...sort of a SoCal barn I guess :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:41 am:

the term "barn find" comes from the cars parked during the ww2 rubber and gas shortage and later discovered in 60s 70s 80s etc. lately any thing thats ben parked 6 months in a tin pole barn is a barn find

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 02:50 am:

In recent years, "barn find" has come to mean anything parked inside anywhere and not driven for at least a couple years. It used to mean a car that had never been restored (or as Clayton S says, parked since WWII). Now, it seems most so called "barn finds" are restorations from since 1970 and often even 2000.
Regardless, Bill H, that is a great find! Congratulations!
How are your folks?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 06:27 am:

That is one beautiful looking car! Heartiest congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:35 am:

Looks to me its a restored car that just set up for a few years.
I refound my 24 Coupe and finally restored it about 5 years ago. It set in a storage bldg. out behind my house for over 40 years on our farm. I inherited it when I was 12 years old.

I have to agree "barn find" has come to mean different things to different people.

It is nice to find a T that hasen't been run in a while. It is a nice 27 that probably needs a battery and not much more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:43 am:

You're all correct. This is a restored car and not a real "barn find" I was just having some fun. We leave in about an hour to go get it. Very excited over here at the Harris household. This will be my wife Cindy's car.
By the way, mom & dad are doing fine. Thanks for asking:-)
engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:46 am:

Nice car! I love the color and pinstriping, understated and elegant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:51 am:

Nice Bill! Will there be room for it over at the doughnut shop or have they run out of room? ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

Nice looking car, but does it run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:55 pm:

Now,you know what they say Ken..."ran when parked"!! Love that description. Bill that's a super nice looking "find". Dare I be nosey enough to ask what you gave for it? If you don't wanna divulge, I understand. Just helps a "still newbie" get an idea of how things are valued, as I still am always looking for "that last one"....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:56 pm:

nice luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

As I understand it, Language is defined by the culture in which it is used and by the usage of that culture. Who is to say definitively what a "Barn Find" is, was or should be. I disagree that it means or ever meant cars that were stored at a certain specific time and place or during any specific event.

All history and language is relevant in its own way and to its own constituency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 02:20 pm:

Nice Bill, Yesterday while shopping a guy was carrying a Garage sale sign. Thinking he was going to have a garage sale in our town I asked him what he was going to sell. He said you need a horse? Said no I was a T guy! He told me he has a 16 touring in his barn owned since he was 16 he just decided to sell after selling the car in front of it. The thrill of the hunt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

Got it home. Now the fun begins :-)
Home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Taylor on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

Heh hey! What a beauty... Congrats on the find! I'm sure you'll have fun. :-):-):-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 04:26 pm:

Very nice,
Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Stevens on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

Nice car, I found out a few things from looking at yours. I couldn't think of what the little platform was for on mine against the firewall but I see it is to hold a oil can. Very ingenious. Also, I guess my intuition was right about these cars not having a air cleaner assembly of some kind. My carb setup is exactly as yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

When you train your children well they do well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

Your right Frank, Tell your wife she did a good job. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

I forgot to add...That's a beautiful car Bill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

Bill, I agree with all the compliments, very nice car.
I bought two barn finds last year that had been stored over 50 years. (two different barns)
Both the 24 coupe and the 24 touring were at the point, "Do I restore of use them for parts"
Your find looks like it might be ready to drive with almost not work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

Congratulations! Beautiful car-I'm envious. I've found lots of barns for they were all empty. :-( Oh well, maybe someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

Sorry for the big typo. Should be: BUT they were all empty. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

Bill, It's Always a sunny day, in your little Ford Coo-Pay !! Now all ya need to do is become a Doctor, and call it a Dr's Coupe. Well done young man !! W

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Dennis Seth, it was a joint venture, Mary taught him about cars and I taught him manners. ;~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:37 am:

Well, the '27 is in the garage next to its older sibling and much younger Italian cousin. Found a few obstacles to a quick fire up. Gas tank full of crud :-( Water pump locked up (going away?) and muffler falling off. Everything else looks good. I won't have time to dig in until Saturday. Cindy is VERY happy about her new car!
garage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 12:31 am:

Update:
Got the car registered & insured. Polished up the nickel & cleaned the white walls. Put a new battery in today & the lights, horn and starter work great! Just for fun, I sprayed a little starter fluid in a few plug holes & hit the ignition. Pop, pop... it wants to go. Now I have to pull the fuel tank and clean out ten+ years of sludge to be able to take it out for the first time. Oh yes, when I pulled the seat cushion out to access the battery, I found a full factory tool kit & tire pump. Bonus:-)
lightwhite

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 02:15 am:

Love it!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Friday, March 28, 2014 - 06:27 am:

Bill,

Remember it's better to be born lucky than rich.
Looks great, want a u-tube of that coupe running.

Larry

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration