License plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: License plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:41 am:

Got a question about license plates. My understanding is that the original plates, when put on your T, restricts you to certain driving times. If you plan on driving out of state - say a cross country trip in your T - are you allowed to use these historic/antique plates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:55 am:

I'm sure it varies from state to state. Here is what the Missouri Department of Revenue website says about Missouri "historic" plates:

"A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:

To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;

To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit;

and

Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Historic vehicle registration is a permanent registration and cannot be transferred. If you sell or dispose of the vehicle, you must remove the plates from the vehicle at that time."

Check your state's department of motor vehicles website for the rules in your state.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 09:56 am:

It depends on YOUR states laws. Calif in spite of stupid expensive registration fees does not restrict the use of a vehicle with YOM (year of manufacture) plates.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:07 am:

Do you have to change the plates on your modern car when you drive it in another state? Nope. Same deal with the plates on your antique. But I have a suggestion if your car has YOM plates. Along with the registration and the insurance card, carry a copy of your state's YOM law for the benefit of police officers who are unaware of it. VOE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:27 am:

Bill, when you say "antique plates", do you mean Historic vehicle plates or original YOM plates? Big difference. I had Historic plates at only $18.00 which have restrictions as Mark mentioned. Not likely many cops would know about that or hassle you but, it can and has happened. Just yesterday, I switched to original 1919 YOM plates. The sticker is now $88.00 but they look great and I can now drive anywhere, hassle free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:31 am:

It may not only be your states license agency that has antique plate driving restrictions check with your auto insurance to be sure your covered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:35 am:

But do carry a copy of the law with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:36 am:

I was thinking about YOM plates. I currently have YOM plates on my '16, and I thought there were restrictions on where and when you could drive your vehicle here in Michigan - that's why I was curious about trips through other states. I'm actually considering a Michigan to California trip in 2016 (in my 1916) in honor of the 100th birthday of my car. I know others have done cross country trips in their T's, but wasn't sure if they had regular plates or YOM?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:41 am:

I also live in Missouri and always thought the 100 mile limit to repair facilities was interesting.

Using that thinking, I can drive all the way from my house in Saint Charles to Columbia as long as I have the car worked on when I get there. :-)

Since my model T doesn't have a speedometer or odometer, I just make sure to guess at the millage that I have driven, and my speed for that matter. I have yet to have a problem, most of the officers just smile and wave as I drive by.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 10:45 am:

Here is what I copied from the Secretary of State here in Michigan concerning "Authentic Historic Plates" (YOM). "A vehicle registered with a regular historic plate or authentic historic plate cannot be used for general transportation. The vehicle can only used for participating in historical club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, car shows, swap meets, and similar uses." I don't know if I could pass off a solo trip to California as a "tour", but maybe so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

I highly doubt most cops will pull you over unless you're being a nuisance to traffic, slowing the flow or otherwise impeding other cars. But just to be safe, be sure to have all your paperwork together. I'm from Illinois, where there is no law on the books for YOM plates. I've been told as long as it's registered with some kind of plate and you have the plates and registration in the vehicle the worst that will happen is a cop will tell you to switch out the plates. Maybe Michigan has a similar ruling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:58 pm:

This is one area where the variations among states range from bizarre to absurd. In one state it's illegal to restore YOM plates, and in another state it's required. Some states have no YOM law, and some states have YOM and two or three other kinds of antique plates. The driving restrictions vary from virtually none to severely harassing. No man's life and property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

Doesn't the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or something like that protect you from conflicting laws when you cross provincial or state lines?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:44 pm:

Steve,
My recollection of that quote is, "No man or his wallet is safe while the legislature is in session". LOL!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

Keep in mind that it's not so important what your particular state wants in regards to what plates you run, but more so how your insurance company will react if an accident is involved. If your out on a tour while sporting restricted mileage plates, it could hamper your ability to seek coverage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:19 pm:

Dave Wells, I should have said YOM plates. I don't proofread well first thing in the morning :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 07:32 am:

Actually Bill in Adelaida Calif, I was referring to Bill Elliott the original poster. I guess you don't proof read well at night either. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:39 am:

Bill, I believe you are right on the Michigan rules for the YOM plate. To and from club meetings, to and from car shows, and cruises, and now anytime, in August. The August deal started last year with help from Hagerty Insurance for Michigan anyway as far as I know.Check the Hagerty website for the law changes for YOM plates, I'm sure it's there somewhere. Jim Derocher, AuGres, Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 09:16 am:

In Florida we have Horseless plates (Pre-war cars) and they are a one time fee as long as you own the car. My insurance company (State Farm) had all the restrictions not the state so I dumped them. As far as being pulled over by a foreign Constabulary Just once in Kingsland Ga.... he wanted a picture of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 09:35 am:

I run 1919 NY tags on my car, Only once did I have a problem and that was while driving in Florida. I don't think the Florida officer knew how to run them in his data base. It took about 20 minuets for his to figure it out. Now why he couldn't see that the tag numbers matched the numbers on the registration I'll never know why. They were legal New York state tags.I think he was just fishing for a ticket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:14 am:

Bill I can't imagine any reasonable police officer, anywhere, giving you grief about running a vintage tag on your trip, but I'd do as Jelf suggests. Commemorating your car's 100th birthday is easy justification for a "tour" even if it just involves your one car.

You might have a problem if you run regular tags and the state at issue doesn't grandfather your car for safety equipment. I understand Mr. Model T ran into such problems in the northwest due to some hard-ankle Barney Fife idiot. If it had been me pulled over, that officer would be sporting a desk for a long, long time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration