The truth about 1927 rear fenders.......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: The truth about 1927 rear fenders.......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:10 am:

What is it? I've heard that they are the same for almost all the body styles, and I've heard the opposite, that they are all different? (which is why they don't make them)

Hoping to shed some light on this and the options available to us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:34 am:

US an canadian production 1926/27 rear fenders were of two types; the Coupe, Runabout and Pick up had one style and the Touring, Tudor and Fordor had another style.

In england a lowered drop frame model was made for the european market so all the fender types (and the front fender irons) were different and made deeper than the usual US production to avoid tires scratching the insides of the fenders in bumps & when cornering. See the differences between a US and an english made coupe/runabout/rpu rear fender in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/305414.html?1344781023

The reason for the lack of repro steel rear fenders is likely the high cost for tooling compared to the demand and the availability of relatively rust free original fenders from western states. Earlier years has less compound curves so they can be made with limited tooling and a bead roller while the smooth curved shapes of the 26/27 fenders either means very expensive pressing tools or lots of man hours in producing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:39 am:

Roadster, roadster pickup and coupe are the same. Touring and sedans are the same. 4 different fenders requiring 4 different sets of tooling. The costs become prohibitive at some point. The last time I inquired about tooling costs, I would have to sell a fender for around $1100. So only option is to run fiberglass ones until you can locate some originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Micheal Crowe on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:45 am:

When I did my model T I got a set rear fenders out of Colorado and they were NOS fenders with original paint on them. They were $1000.00 so hang on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 12:18 pm:

I'll have some nice,restorable with little effort, coupe, roaster, pickup fenders at Chickasha, plus one right rear sedan/touring fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

What about this guy?
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.511942095524831.134969.505422319510142 &type=1
Has anyone bought and/or used the steel fenders he's been making? (they look incredible in the pics)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

I have a pr of early take-off 26-7 2,4dr, touring rear fenders, nice 700.00/pr plus UPS and Insurance, and at least one NOS right rear 2dr, 4 dr, touring fender 400.00 plus Ins and UPS. danuser88@ktis.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Taylor on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

Terry, where will you be?

Will the sedan fender you mention fit on a 1926 Fordor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

Well since good fenders are coming out of the woodwork, I might as well tell you guys what I'm looking for.

I need the driver side rear for a 1927 model T coupe. I have one that's decent, but after stripping down and finding out someone welded the licence plate bracket to it, I decided to see what other options were out there.

The one I have is all steel, but bondo'd poorly and will take a Lot of panning to straighten and shape. (by all means repairable though) So the only fender I would be looking to replace it would Have to be All steel. So NOS or proven all steel with no previous body work done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

So I gather from this I need to post the 26-7 rear fender I have for sale as it is in decent shape.I have not checked to see what it fits though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 11:52 am:

Can someone post a pick of the two different fenders? Or one person post one type and another post the opposite type?

I just bought a left rear that was said to come off of a roadster. Gentleman says Roadster and runabout are the same?

I have pics if someone could identify.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

Here is the roadster/runabout coupe rear fender:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/305414.html?1344781023]

Here is the sedan fender. Note that it is narrower and has an extra section of metal where the fender extend out past the rear or the body.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Mclellan on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 03:10 pm:

Thanks for the timely reply Jim! Looks like I got lucky and found the right one :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

I took three roadster/coupe/pickup fenders of one side and four of the other side to Chickasha. I figured that since restorers would rather have real steel on their car than fiberglass; that good steel fenders ought to bring as much as new fiberglass. Wrong! Evidently, Chickasha buyers would rather put a ton of plastic filler on their fenders and put a lot of work straightening metal, than to buy fenders that required less work. I don't get it. I would have paid my prices for rear fenders if I hadn't found some better. If buyers think my prices were too high, they ought to check with a vendor and frequent forum poster from one of the Midwest states who normally asks $100.00 more per fender than what I did. On Friday morning, I did have a vendor offer me my asking price that I wanted for the two best fenders, but then he wanted to give me a total of $100.00 for the remaining five. Go figure! I guess I'll try to ebay them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

Terry -- Every year is different at Chickasha. I was looking for a nice left front fender for a '17-'25, and there weren't any. Usually there are lots of them. Ford made millions of them, so they're not rare. They just weren't there this year. There were literally dozens of rear ones for sale.

I also saw LOTS of '26-7 Coupe-Roadster-Runabout-Pickup rear fenders. Most years there are very few.

There also seemed to be a lot of nice period-correct aftermarket wire wheels there this year. In our spaces alone, Paul had a very nice set of 21" Hayes wires with re-nickeled hard-to-find original hub caps, and John had a set of 30x3-1/2" Buffalo wires and a set of powder-coated Universal wires. They all went home unsold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 01:37 am:

Mike, I'm sorry I didn't run into you at Chickasha. Being only my second time there (and the first was decades ago), I tried to meet as many forum faces as I could. On Wednesday, I did see one vendor in line that had a decent set of 26-27 front and rear c/r/p fenders that were cheaper than what I had in mind for mine. but I figured that there would probably be more than one buyer there looking for some, so I had a chance. I did not get to leave my space very much, so I couldn't see what others were going for.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration