A Ford 1928

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: A Ford 1928
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:24 am:

Hi all T lovers, has now also purchased a 1928 Model A Ford Tudor.
I wonder what the holes are for the left and right front side.
De Luxe lamps or ....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:30 am:

Coowal, you have accessory semaphore turn indicators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:39 am:

Hello again
... forgot to write about this A model I wanted to buy in 1966 and in all years been refused by the owner. Now the owner since 5 years died, and the widow called me and offered me to buy this complete but apart screwed car.
It was with this car my interest in old cars started, so I had to buy it the day before yesterday. Translated into U.S. dollars approx 1600.
The engine completely renovated in the late 60th century.
The question is do I have to unscrew it or should I try to start it as it stands?
Has always been indoors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:48 am:

Hi George
yes ... a nice accessory.
But the holes where below, left and right park lamp perhaps?
These were mounted later on.

Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 05:40 am:

Ake, the holes are for cowl lights. Not common on Tudors but added aftermarket on many. You can get much information here
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 05:41 am:

BTW, the engine needs to be disassembled to check it. Any oil that was left in the tubes will be hard as a rock and cause the bearings to fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ake Osterdahl on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 06:26 am:

Thanks James
... but the engine is not running after the renovation because I thought running around it with an electric engine without spark plugs and fresh oil. Just an idea.
Perhaps one possible idea.

Ake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 12:56 pm:

Ake,
Best advice is to take off the side cover and the oil pan and see if things look OK, probably also undo a main and a rod cap and check the bearing surfaces--rust in there would wipe out new Babbitt in a hurry (journals can develop rust where the Babbitt is grooved for oil). A little extra time might save you lots of expenses.
Holes look right for cowl lights, but are farther back from the hood than normal, so ????
Nice semaphore turn signals--they are very scarce here in the states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

The engine that you have shown in the photos has the earlier Multi-Disc clutch set-up and is different from the more "standard" set-up on the later Model A's. The flywheel, clutch, clutch housing, brake and clutch pedals and transmission case are all different from the "later" Model A's. The Multi-Disc clutch set-up was used until November of 1928.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:49 am:

Ake,
Best advice is to take off the side cover and the oil pan and see if things look OK, probably also undo a main and a rod cap and check the bearing surfaces--rust in there would wipe out new Babbitt in a hurry (journals can develop rust where the Babbitt is grooved for oil). A little extra time might save you lots of expenses.
Holes look right for cowl lights, but are farther back from the hood than normal, so ????
Nice semaphore turn signals--they are very scarce here in the states.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration