Beautiful 1912 Tourer (Canadian RHD) or is it?? Comments?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Beautiful 1912 Tourer (Canadian RHD) or is it?? Comments?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:06 am:

What say you? Windscreen no? Rear doors open rearward yes?

Much appreciated!1912?

Justin
South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 06:05 am:

Looks more like a 1914 with the rounded bottom doors and the slanted windshield. However, the headlamps and side lamps are all brass, which was the earlier style - 1909-1912. Obviously a RHD, but the American touring had no functional door on the drivers side and the rear doors opened from the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve miller- mississauga,ontario on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 06:48 am:

This I believe is a Canadian '12 being delivered from the Toronto assembly plant. Note square doors

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 07:20 am:

The green car is a Canadian 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 07:36 am:

Thanks Royce,

And the windscreen? Definitely not, I would think. The fenders too, should not have that front bill, or am I wrong?

Thanks again
Justin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 07:45 am:

Justin,

Hard to say, the Canadians did things a bit differently than the USA built cars. I agree the windshield appears to be a 1913 - 14 version, but the fenders may or may not be correct for a Canadian late '12.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:28 am:

Steve,

That is a great photo of the new Model T up-side-down – and if you have the link to the site we should let them know it is probably a 1909-10 car. It has been discussed before and I’m 90% sure it was concluded it was a 1909-1910 style Canadian T touring. One of the major items leading to that ID was buggy rail used to mount the top bows to the car. Only the 1909-10 cars had those and they are not something that can be easily installed on a latter body without taking the upholstery off. Additionally you can see the vertical seam in the rear body panel that the Canadian (not the USA) 1909-10 touring had. And the rear door on the 1911 and later cars were smooth and did not have molding running across it to match the “step” in the front seat or back seat.

It is good to see you posting – I hope you are doing well and staying warm up there. And thank you for all your help in gathering additional Canadian Model T information.

IF anyone has the link to that 1909-10 flipped Canadian touring discussion would you please post it as I misfiled it or lost it. It had other details documented that I would like to capture.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:46 am:

Wow, that's really confusing. The car has the diagonal attachment for the detachable fore-doors on a slab-sided body that were only available on the late 1912 variant (at least in the USA). The other thing I notice is that the rear door swings out from hinges mounted at the front of the door rather than the rear. The body itself seems to be mounted higher above the splash-guards than is usual. I also notice the spokes and steering wheel are finished in natural wood. I can't figure it out, but the car sure does look lovely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 09:47 am:

Looks to me to be a Canadian late '12.

The car has been restored, so, who know what is correct on not. The windshield appears to be a 1913-14 type, the windshield rods are the '13 type. It could have been a very late '12 with the early '13 windshield and top, or it could have been restored with the wrong year parts. (It has been known to happen on more than one occasion.)

The door tops are not original, the headlamps look to be '10, the top upholstery is a non-original design. The front wheels are 30x3-1/2, which is correct for a Canadian car, along with the hinged left fore-door.

I've seen this image before. Is it out of a book, on a calendar, on a tray, or a tin... ?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:14 am:

Keith
What is incorrect about the top? I am not doubting you, but would like to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:56 am:

Interesting fact about that flipped Ford. The Toronto plant where the crash occurred is still standing and they have that very picture on the wall of the original Ford showroom which is now a restaurant. Check it out if you ever visit there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

1912 should have the clipped corners on the rear window, and would have rolled up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

Well all I can say is that it is a 14 tourer with brass lights stuck on it, the body is 1914 by the doors and from what I can see it is on English plates and has been restored that way as I have seen it before in a English car book and once again I say never believe what photo text in books tell you. Never let the real year stand in front of a good photo, the top is 100% correct for were the car was made/used and restored as the canvas was used out here in Australia and other English country's and to seal it the top was made sopping wet then painted and the water stopped the paint going right through and also when looking at T's outside of the states forget what you know and as your US rules go out the window, if one could get the body number it would answer the question. Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 12:34 am:

The front doors on the car are the accessory fore doors made available for the later 1912 touring cars. The line of the floorboard risers shows just behind the fender.

The car was probably restored with whatever parts were available. Hence the 1913 windscreen and the earlier brass headlamps. I agree with Ray. The license number appears English and the tread pattern on the tyres is common on English cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:33 am:

Ray-
The car is a 1912. You can see where the foredoor line is where the floorboards rise.

Allan-
The foredoors on the car are not accessory. Very few step-side body cars (like Royce's) were made without foredoors. ALL slab-side 1912 cars were made with foredoors standard.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 02:06 am:

Keith, no its to neat, I would agree with you but the step up are to neat and when you look at the pictures I hope load you can see how the line follows through under the door and the front guards could be 1911 or 1915 as 12 0r 13 should not have peaks.I have seen this type of body when some one marries what they have to a rebuilt frame to suit the year of their engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 02:07 am:

oops, well that did no go real well but you can see... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 02:16 am:

I too think it is a slab sided 1912 with an incorrect windscreen. It even has the front hinged rear doors.

The 'TJ' plates are South African; they are the old Apartheid black & white plates. TJ stands for Transvaal Johannesburg, TP was Transvaal Pretoria etc. indicating where a vehicle was registered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 03:37 am:

I will bow to David , he knows his South African cars.... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 03:47 am:

I thought I had seen this car before. Please see link below.
Regards, John

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/225963.html?1318465399

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:59 am:

That is what I was thinking of John. I remember that discussion too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration