Old Photo - Traveling Service Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Traveling Service Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:34 am:

I wonder how much of that 22 cent a gallon gas was Kerosene?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:49 am:

After market hood! I would guess 1915 or 16 with newer radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:47 pm:

Jay,

Thanks for you many many great photos – this is another one.

Mark,

Just like today, many of our Fords have parts from different years and I believe in this photo we see a mixture also. I agree the front fenders point us to the 1915-1916 model year.

But the wishbone below the axle with the later spring perches that do not have a hole for the wishbone above the axle point us to mid 1919 or later.

Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc19.htm

APR 14, 1919 Acc. 235, Box 39, #385, Ford Archives
"From this date two distinct designs of front radius rods, together with front spring perches, right and left, one on the Model T and the other on Model TT.
"The Model TT design will be assembled beneath the axle, instead of above the axle through the spring perch as heretofore.
"Although it would be possible to use the Model T design on the Model TT, we request this be resorted to only in case of a shortage serious enough to threaten loss of production."
But both Bruce at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#fr1 and the MTFCI judging standards only list the below the axle arrangement for 1919 model year cars. I wonder why? But at any rate if the front spring perches and wishbone are original to the car it would not be a 1915-16.

If it is a Ford H fluted lens that would be around Jun 1921 or later. Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/I-O.htm#lamps

It has the earlier style two – U-bolts front motor mount and spring clamp that was used 1909 to 1920 with some variations in the early ones and then in 1921 it was replaced with the later style that used two nuts rather than 4 nuts to hold the engine to the frame and front spring. Ref page 324 of Bruce’s book “Model T Ford.”

It appears to have the low cowl radiator and low cowl (clearly it is a black radiator but to me it looks like the 1917 – 1923 style low cowl rather than the 1924-25 high cowl.) Note the radiator is the same 1924 model year to 1927.

I think the wheels are square felloe non-demountables – but it is hard to tell in the photo. So 1918 or later if square and 1917 and earlier if round felloes.

The windshield brackets clearly have the screws holding the windshield frame to the bracket rather than the rivets used by the 1915-mid 1917 windshield frame brackets.

But notice the windshield frame brackets do not have side lamps mounted to them. And I do not see the casting where the cowl lamps could have been mounted. Those were introduced when starters were introduced for the open cars. Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc19.htm
MAY 19, 1919 Acc. 78, #420, Ford Archives
Starters on some open cars (appeared prior to this date). New windshield brackets on electric cars; the old type with the integral lamp brackets to be continued on the non-electric cars. (Oil lamps were not supplied on the starter-equipped open or closed cars.)

And the car has the unequal length windshield hinges that were introduced during 1917 to replace the equal length hinges.

And what about that hood? I don’t think it is for that year range body style. I’m not even sure it is for a Model T, as the 1924-25 hoods were only a little taller in the front and back than the 1917-1923 hoods. And even the 1926-27 hoods fit the 1924-25 size radiator in the front. That hood just look very large to me. Also based on the paint color – I don’t think it was part of that car originally.

So what year was it? It was a black radiator Model T. I believe more parts fell in the 1919-1920 range than the other ranges but who know what it really started out as. And of course at an auto repair shop, they probably had lots of left over parts from wrecks etc. out back and could have used parts from multiple cars.

If only the photo could talk….

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration