OT - Letter to HF 108 years ago today regarding the new Ford models:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Letter to HF 108 years ago today regarding the new Ford models:
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

I thought this appropriate for a few reasons, one being the letter was written one hundred eight years ago today. Mr. Caswell is writing Henry Ford regarding test drives he had on the new Ford models K and N. Frank Kulick is identified as the Model K driver and Mr. Block. Mr. Block is Louis Block, who will eventually be the Ford Branch Manager in Philadelphia.

Benson Library, The Henry Ford, Box 2, Acc 37

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

Given Mr. Caswell's fine stationary and trendy address, "Caswell Place", I don't think he would really be in the market for a Model N anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

Jerry,

I think there's "more to the story" too. My theory as to why Mr. Block won't deviate from a flat asphalt surface is because there are no other Model N cars available if this one is broken. I have another article that says Louis Block attends all the winter/spring car shows (I believe five) beginning with the January 1906 Armory show in New York.

Maybe Ford was being ultra careful with their only (or one of only a few) running examples.

This photo was taken at the New York Armory car show. The driver may be Mr. Block:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

Frank Kulick, in addition to driving the Ford six cylinder racer at Ormond (Daytona Beach) in January 1906, was responsible for the demonstrator Model K (as Mr. Caswell mentioned above) at car shows. This article was written in advance of the first car show (New York) Models K and N were shown. The article also talks about Fords light and medium weight world records (1904) and the 36 second mile (100 mph) by the Ford six cylinder racer Kulick drove:

Louis Block is reported to have attended all eight 1906 cars shows for Ford. The April 1906 article also says Block is then assigned to the Philadelphia branch (where he will be involved in a scandalous and unfortunate incident):

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 06:55 am:

For anyone still reading, I mentioned there were a couple of reasons for posting the letter to Henry Ford written 108 years ago yesterday. The other reason was because the letter was written exactly 50 years to the day before I was born.

After receiving the letter, someone at Ford Motor Company drafted the following letter to Mr. Caswell. The letter says there wasn't time to give extended rides (paraphrasing). I assume Henry Ford signed the final copy and this letter was mailed to Phillip Caswell:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:46 am:

Happy Birthday, Rob!

How have you answered the questions, "What do you want for your birthday?" and "What do you want to do for your birthday?"

I'm getting those questions now. Well, I guess they're not asking what I want...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 10:09 am:

Happy Birthday Rob.

Corn beef and cabbage for a birthday treat with lots of Baileys to wash it down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

Thanks guys.

On the next day, March 15 1906 (108 years ago today), Frank Kulick sent Henry Ford this letter concerning the new Model K. Kulick mentions "Blockey skimmer, probably referring to Louis Block and the Model N. We know he (Kulick) was demonstrating the Model K in Boston from the first letter on this thread, sent the previous day by Mr. Caswell. Kulick recommends changes and upgrades for the Model K including brass trim on the dash:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Happy Birthday Rob, very interesting letters, please keep posting all of these great glimpses into the past. My only question is who was Mr. Flint? I think there might have been a Flint automobile, but not sure of the years it was built.. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing all the goodies from the Benson Library. Jim Derocher AuGres, Michigan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Rob,
I want to wish you a Happy Birthday and many more Happy ones to come.
You are a treasure to us here on the list.
Keep on finding these interesting tidbits for us.
John Cox, Tucson, Arizona

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:46 pm:

Thanks guys.

Jim, I think I found our Mr. Flint. It appears he is a Ford dealer from Providence RI (same city as Mr. Caswell above).

In this Nov 1907 article two of his Fords, a Model N (or R/S) places first and Model K third in a Providence RI hill climb contest:

This Ford Times mentions "Dutee Wilcox Flint" as a Ford Dealer in Providence:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration