Recovering, At Home, From Knee Replacement Surgery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Recovering, At Home, From Knee Replacement Surgery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

Nothing feels as good as being discharged from any medical facility and when it comes to being home, Dorothy was right; there ain't no place like it. Still, there remain a few concessions: For instance, I'm not yet allowed to shave because I might nick myself and bleed out due to the blood thinners I’m taking to suppress blood clots. I'll hoping to be able to ditch the Duck Dynasty look after about six weeks.

At home, I've been seeing a visiting phlebotomist to monitor the level of blood thinners. The phlebotomist takes my blood, changes into a bat and flies out the window. The visiting therapist apparently went to the Tomás de Torquemada school of physical rehabilitation and uses tools that look like they might have been designed by Henry VIII for other purposes. It wouldn't be quite as unsettling an experience if he would just not laugh maniacally while rubbing his hands together immediately before each session, with the phleboto-bat perched on his shoulder (both of whom are possessed of pupil-less, albino eyes).

Compared to being fresh out of surgery in the hospital, or the incomparable indignity of getting a shower from a gigantic, female, Jamaican nurse in the rehab center, home recovery is like tea with the queen. On the other hand, if I'm subjected to one more daytime-TV episode of a couple of know-nothing women slugging it out over a worthless, two-timing, skinny, toothless boyfriend on Jerry Springer, or another DNA paternity test on Maury Povitch, I'm going to scream loud enough to shatter every window from here to the Crystal Palace. Whomever invented reality TV should be bound & gagged, dipped in honey and then buried up to his neck in an ant-hill occupied by starving fire ants while encircled by a group of bag-pipers alternating between the instrumental version of "Muscrat Love" and "Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting."

For all the indignities of modern medical care, I have to admit that I also appreciate the immediacy and efficiency which accompanies the too-small, paper gowns that open in the back. The other day, my visiting physical therapist noticed a swelling in my foot that "caused him some concern." I put that in quotes because what followed was an immediate flurry of phone calls culminating in his informing me that I had an appointment in one hour to have my leg checked by "doppler" for a blood clot. Perhaps the thought of solid food may have intrigued my vampiric phlebotomist, but my physical therapist was of a more altruistic vein (sorry, couldn’t resist) and expressed a preference that my blood remain in liquid form.

I got a lift to the appropriate facility and was issued the mandatory too-small paper gown. The ultra-sound gel (which apparently works best when kept refrigerated) was applied to the suspect leg and the ultrasound technician—an individual possessed of a melodramatic compulsion to repeat, "Hmm"—eventually concluded that there were no blood clots to be found. Thank you, Lord.

I was informed that to prevent this swelling from developing into cellitis, I'll need to spend much more time with my leg elevated—which will mean watching even more Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch. As that would send me absolutely bat-guano, I decided it was instead time to do something—anything—to the Model T. As there’s not a whole lot I can do while bracing myself within the confines of a walker, the only viable alternative was to take refuge in the accessories section of Lang’s catalog. There, I found a few little brass chotskys that would legitimately improve the look of the car while overtaxing neither my present, limited physical ability nor embarrassing lack of mechanical aptitude.

For some dumb reason, my Model T runs much better on Motorcraft F11 spark plugs than on the correct Champion-X type. No idea why; it just does.

Fortunately, there exist these neat thumb-nuts which disguise modern plugs for the genuine article.

The other neat little fake-out is a brass tire-valve cover that fits over the thoroughly hideous air-valves of modern inner tubes (which occupy my front tires) and, like the aforementioned sparkplug thumb-nuts, give the appearance of the real thing.

Having now accomplished these small things, there remains only to elevate my leg and catch the next thousand episodes of Gerry Springer and Maury Povitch. And, if, when next we meet, you should happen to notice that I’m cross-eyed and lip-flibbing, you’ll know the reason why.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

It's good to hear from you. Glad your back.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

Bob,
Sounds like your on our way back. Keep battling and you'll get there (although I'm not sure where "there" is).
Good luck,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

Bob - Did you ever consider writing fiction for amusement?

Maybe some scripts for Maury Povitch or Jerry Springer?

Just wondering.... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 05:02 pm:

Bob,

It is good to hear from you -- even if you are complaining about daytime TV. I would recommend Google searches for Model T related information or for that matter P-47 information. I can't take day time TV very well. Another option might be a short subscription to the military history channel etc.

And follow the doctor's advice! I had a friend who thought he could walk on his broken leg and didn't need the stupid cast any longer, so he took it off himself. That delayed the recovery rather than speeding it up.

And don't forget the old forums -- there are some good treasures to be found in them.

You are in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery and some relief from day time TV.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

Past issues of the Model T Times are sometimes placed on line at
http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=142

And you can order a USB drive that has ALL the past issues, readable on your computer screen.

I just spent the better part of a week in bed after knee ligament reconstruction. Fortunately I could do some work from my laptop, because daytime TV is, indeed, a wasteland. I even got sick of the Mecum auctions on Velocity channel after a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 05:27 pm:

Good to hear you are recovering. Having endured a long recovery at home following surgery myself some years ago, I know where you're at on the daytime TV thing. I always though we could get rid of the death penalty by just strapping the inmates to a chair in from of a TV blaring soaps, daytime talk shows, and re-runs of The Price is Right. They would just die on their own volition. But on second thought, it might constitute cruel and unusual punishment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

I guess it could be worse! If the boob tube is on the fritz you could read e-bay and Crags-list add's for perfectly org 1909 Model T Fords!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

Hi Bob, best wishes for a speedy recovery of your pedal pushers :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

Bob,

Just like the fellow said as he followed you down the hallway while you were wearing your paper gown..."Good to see your back."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 08:33 pm:

Pain, agony, boredom ---mix it together - add a little B.C. (who remembers that??) (actually, in this case it's Bob Coiro - that celestial chap) and what comes out...Good Humor.
Nicely done Bob - have some ice cream and watch the History channel instead!

Speedy recovery to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:39 pm:

Take some of that TV time and instead read The Adventures of Herman and Freida. Much more fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:46 pm:

Well, when I got smacked by the truck I was stuck at home with my arm in a sling and oxycodone.
I got a belly full of Jerry springer and that other jack leg after about 2 weeks.
So I can relate to your situation.
Now is a good time to literaly catch up on your reading.Rather it be a good fiction story or research on a subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 10:57 pm:

On our sat dish we get an episode of Perry Mason every day at 10 AM.
The ones on now are from 1957.
Lot of neat old cars in it.
Was even a T a few days ago.
Beats the H out of Jerry what's his name!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

Bob,

Glad to see you back on the forum. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:38 pm:

Good to hear from you. My wife gave me blood thinner shots in the "Extra" skin along my waste each day. The needle was short and she did a good job....no pain.
Did you get an ice machine? That sure helped me on keeping the swelling down.
Will not forget my first shower in the hospital....similar experience like yours. Those....let your ass hang out gowns in the hospital are something else. No privacy....one nurse chased me with my walker down the hall and said "You Can't Go around dressed like that"....she hung another gown on my back side and off I went.
Hang in there and get better. First, you enter the walker races, then a cane or walking stick followed by driving a car. Do the physical therapy....don't get hooked on pain drugs and you will do great.

My experience only.....after changing over to a distributor, my model T performed better using the Motorcraft F11 spark plugs compared to Champion X. I previously used the Champion X plugs when using the timer and coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 10:50 am:

You are doing well and we are pleased to hear it out here on the left coast.

I made some rubber valve stem covers out of 1/2" brass rod and drilled out a hole and threaded it. The covers could then be twisted and they walked right down the rubber stem to the wooden felloe. The fake covers then simply looked correct in a casual glance. Centrifugal force kept them from flying off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 11:33 am:

What about some brass "cups" to sit over the top of those new-fangled plugs to add even more artificial realism?

So glad to hear you and your knee came out the other side. Effective recovery to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

I always enjoy reading your posts Bob C! Keep getting better.
For over twenty-five years, I earned a living in a specialized area of contracting. Electronic and communications systems. A major amount of our work was private cable TV systems. A lot of the work I did, I was watching TV while I worked. Often, I couldn't even choose the channel I watched as it would have to be whatever channel's equipment I was working on. A lot of that stuff is NASTY! Some of it is downright disturbing. Now you know why I became as crazy as I have.
Just in case, being ready for the potential future. I have about a hundred hours of historic silent movies on DVD and old VHS that I have not yet watched. Many of them still in unopened wrappers. Just thinking about it makes me want to go out and break my leg! - - - - - Nah. The gowns and sponge baths might not be worth it.
Take care my friend. Keep getting better.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

Bob, Glad to hear you're home and on the mend. I love your rambling posts, and especially how you drift from one thing onto another. Kinda like I do!
Yes, most of my T's seem to like F11's better than the X's. Don't know why. And now that you're tired of Springer, try Price is Right, and then spend the afternoon watching house fixing, and flipping, on HGTV. Sure helped me get through this awful winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

Bob, I wish you weren't so reticent about telling us what you think about your experience (although I'm not sure I want to know any more about the gigantic, female, Jamaican nurse...) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

Bob

I am very happy to learn that you are at home and in the process of healing

I shared your message with my daughter who is a nurse and she laughed so hard my granddaughter thought she was having a heart attack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:41 pm:

Man, this joint-replacement thing has been one long and miserable process and it's not yet over. A little sunshine and warm weather would feel oh-so-good, but we're knee-deep in April and there's still plenty of wind and chill in the air, here on Long Island. Haven't fired up the Flivver since the end if autumn and cabin fever has really settled in.

Now, what I want is lots and lots and lots of pure, unadulterated pity from you guys, so start typing! ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

Bob, I am at work now so can't spend the time to fully type out the level of pitty you deserve at this time, but I am feeling it. Get well you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 02:26 pm:

It's sunny and 70 here in the ever-rainy Pacific Northwest!
That should make you feel better....it doesn't?
Oops, sorry about that.
Just as the cabin fever starts going away I have to start mowing the grass. Or is it moss.
Maybe I'll just let my 49% do it!
Wishing you a speedy recovery and I think of you every time I check my gas.
I get to drive my Ts year around.
Another Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 02:43 pm:

Hey now, some folks would pay good money to get a bath from one of those gigantic Jamaican females . . .

Don't watch anymore daytime TV - get on to Netflix and watch a show that you really enjoy. There are great shows out there. Maybe even shows about large Jamaican nurses. =P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 03:56 pm:

Bob,

The fact that you are getting cabin fever says that you are recovering. Your knee may not know it yet, but your subconscious does. And your drive to join the living is what's going to drag that knee through the knothole and get you on your way.

Keep up the good work.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

Ditto what Bob Gruber said Bob, especially about thinking about you every time I "stick the tank"! Only one slight problem with that, it always sounded okay to say I have to "stick the tank", but thanks to you Bob, now I have to say that I have to "tube the tank" and that always requires some sort of explanation. Maybe I should just quit saying anything and just "tube the tank" in silence, huh?

Seriously, good to hear from you Bob,......just hang in there a bit longer and things'll get better. I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago and I can relate to your situation,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

For Bob C. =======

baby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

Bob,

You can whine on this forum anytime you wish. :-)

Hang in there, and stay after the therapy, you'll be better than new eventually (at least better than you were before the surgery).

Good luck,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/oqg41g.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/qzrn5z.jpg[/IMG]

The best part was when that 300 lb Jamaican pulled that 24" catheter out... "Now dontcha be holdin' back Mon..."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:19 pm:

Bob - If you've got cabin fever, I suggest you fly down to Phoenix for a couple of weeks. It'll be 90 there this week and that sun will do you some good.

While there I'm sure you'd enjoy going to Falcon Field in Mesa where the Commemorative Air Force is located. They have a flyable B17, a P51 and many others.

If that doesn't fix your cabin fever, probably nothing will.

Just a suggestion, but maybe you've already been there.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

Pee One Tee Why :-(

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

The downside of becoming very mature is the physical adventures that come along with it, but so far it beats the alternative. After my surgery I'm just looking forward to getting out of diapers again. Pretty soon Model T driving weather will be here. Hang in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Monday, April 07, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

Bob, you can now enjoy the pleasure of hours in the gym to add strength to those muscles that were moved into places they were not intended. Those hours can be enjoyable if you happen to notice the pretty little 100 pound thing doing 15 reps lifting a barbell that weighs 150 pounds. All kidding aside, the gym rehab is very important to your recovery. I had both done 6 weeks apart and have improved to almost "good as new" after one year. Best wishes in your recovery and don't forget to put knee pads in the tool box when you're out with the "T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

Got the left replaced Feb 10th. Rehab went well. I purchased a small TENS machine to put on muscles, etc. to help with soreness, pain, etc. Recommended by the rehab center, the kit allows me to do exercise with less pain and for longer duration than with out it. Seems to be working well.
Minor issues getting up from a lower chair, but once going, I do well. If I would lose some weight, it would probably be alright too. Left pedal low is normal and I have been driving the T for the last three weeks. Told the therapists she needed all of her folks to get a T to practice left leg extensions with pressure. (<;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 05:06 pm:

It is good to again hear from you Bob. I always enjoy your wordsmithing ability. This thread outdid all the others. Thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration