Guy in Ohio needs some title help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Guy in Ohio needs some title help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, March 14, 2014 - 11:09 pm:

I have emailed him to bring his car up to Indiana to get a title his add is offering to pay for a title If someone is near to him and can help him out ?

Posted: 13 days ago
model t ford - $1000 (hamilton)OHIO
I have a model t roadster 1927 and need a good ohio title, will pay $1000 cash for the 1 I need , will make offer on others similar, email me
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4355632140 posted: 13 days ago email to friend ♥ best of [?]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 07:45 am:

Dave,

I am on the other side of the state from him but there are a lot of Model T guys around Hamilton. I wonder why he is having trouble? If the car was purchased in Ohio he just needs to go to the title office with proof of ownership. If it was purchased out of state or made from parts then he needs to have it inspected by the highway patrol or an agent in the title office.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 08:15 am:

What you are posting about is ' title fraud '.

If you assist the guy - you are committing a crime.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 09:49 am:

I have no problem helping someone who is dealing with the idiots in the local DMV just trying to honestly return an antique car to the road. I myself was third owner a 1940 Cadillac V16 coupe with all original paperwork back to the first registration. New Jersey refused to honor that paperwork because of some petty feud between the two states so I was forced to commit a crime by dealing with an Alabama dealer who ran the car through his dealership for a $100.00 and guess what that paperwork passed in New Jersey thereby destroying an original unbroken trail of ownership! Another thing I've had to endure is the DMV forced order to remove the original serial numbers and stamp in new numbers provided by them! Don't get me started on the DMV registration process!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

Jim, I guess as a decorated Veteran then I am now a criminal. Many abandoned cars with no title can be legally registered in Indiana with no title. We remain a common sense state in my opinion. Once you pay a police officer to inspect a car here and run a vin check to verify that it has not been reported stolen, he will issue you a police report to take to the BMV and issue a new valid title. It would be a shame to have so many lost, abandoned and barn find cars regulated as scrap or parts if they could never be allowed back on the roads again. I want to preserve these cars and if to do so means finding a way around a bureaucracy then so be it if no one is harmed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

In the Portland, OR. area I get a MAJOR runaround anytime I try to change a title, even with a current title in hand and a filled out bill of sale printed from the state website. If I go out of town to a smaller farming community I can get a new title with a handwritten bill of sale. Go figure!! Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:24 pm:

Don, I've said this for years, there are two kinds of people that work. One is there to help you, and the other one is there just to draw a paycheck. Unfortunately, the latter seems to be coming much more commonplace than the former. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:29 pm:

David, I have to agree with Dennis Seth on this. I just went through this with my 1919 which had been owned by by late father, who had last registered it in 1979 in NY. They don't title cars built prior to 1973 in NY, so no title was ever issued in NY. The old registration (which I was lucky enough to have) was transferrable, and acted as the title. Had to have my mom complete and notarize a forms, but it wasn't too bad. Not sure what this guy's situation is, but Ohio BMV laws provide ways to work through the system to get what you need done, legally. Shouldn't have to circumvent proper channels to get a title. At least that was my experience. For a guy to offer $1000 cash for a title he should be able to acquire properly seems a little fishy. Just my $0.02.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

My experience has been that difficulty or ease of car registration varies by jurisdiction and by individual functionary. The jurisdiction has rules and procedures. The individual's attitude determines how the rules and procedures are applied. The reasonableness of laws varies from state to state, and the reasonableness of the persons applying the laws does too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

Washington State has a rather simple process for an untitled or assembled vehicle. A simple State Patrol inspection, then off to the DMV.

Bring any receipts, or some form of documentation, and along with the State Patrol inspection the DMV will issue a bonded title. This allows you to show ownership, and license and operate the vehicle. You can not however sell or transfer the title for 3 years, allowing anyone with legitimate claim against the car to claim their property.

After the 3 year period you can apply for a real transferable title in your name, allowing you to sell or transfer the vehicle. You don't need to buy a phony Alabama title(which the state of Washington will NOT use).

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 02:20 pm:

Dave Stroud hit it. Here in hellhole taxachussets
the brain deads still think this is a 2003 not a
1923. I simply gave up. here attaching plates is
a $100 fine so broadway title wants $800 so I got
up to 8 times gettin stopped by some kid that dont
care about old people and old cars. Again the last
registerd owner died in 1943 been cobwebed up since
they want me to dig up the grave. Now you tell me
if they aren't brain dead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:05 pm:

Well boys I live in Ohio and in my county, they think you stole it, I have bought many cars and the ones from out of state they give me a hard time every time, Then the ones with out titles the hoops you have to jump through to get one, I am with the guy that is offering the money to make it happen, if you have to hire some one and all the running to make it happen you can get a bunch tide up real quick. I have done salvage vehicles with out a problem but they all have the salvage title! I wish Ohio was as easy as the other states to get a title or do I have the biggest bitches in Ohio behind the counter? Just venting!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Manlove on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:46 pm:

David,

You might want to check with the BMV in Indiana. It now takes a court order to get an untitled vehicle titled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 05:10 pm:

Ohio BMV is the WORST!! You can get your COMPLETED vehicle inspected by the BMV. If it passes they will give you a title for a 2014 Model T. I'm in the process of trying to get a title for a T my dad gave me since he is never going to get around to restoring it. He got it from a friend of his in the 1960's, and that guy owned it from before they ever issued titles for cars. The BMV said my dad would have to restore the car and get it inspected before a title could be issued to me! The letter also said I could go through the court system with that letter to see if the judge would order a court ordered title....that's where I'm at right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Maybe a little planning and luck helped me. I went to the title office and spoke with the clerk to find out what forms, documents, etc. I needed to get the title. I asked questions, took notes, got the clerk's name, and got specific details so that I could get all my ducks in a row. When I went back two weeks later with everything I needed, I made sure to go back on the same weekday at the same time of day as my first visit, to insure I spoke with the same clerk. I handed her all the items one by one as I ticked them off my checklist I had made during my first visit. Had my title (with no errors) 10 minutes later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 06:10 pm:

Dave B.... Boy were you lucky! I also had to have notorized forms to send to the Ohio BMV just to get the required denial letter before I present my case to the court.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:00 am:

Michigan used to be easy. Bill of sale, no problem, you could walk out of the DMV with a Quick Title. Now, we have to jump through some hoops. You need a bill of sale (or court judgement stating you own the car), a title surety bond for twice the value of the car, a police inspection to make sure the VIN matches the bill of sale, and you have to wait 4-6 weeks for a thorough inspection before they will mail it to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Allen on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 10:39 am:

According to a very respected Model T person from Massachusetts, you CANNOT register a "home manufactured" car in Mass. They consider rebuilt Model T's as home manufactured. What this person told me that they do is to sell the Model T to someone from New Hampshire for a dollar. They then register the car in New Hampshire and sell it back to the guy in Mass. He can then transfer the registration from New Hampshire to Mass.
The very respected person's initials are D.L.

Here in CA I have used an auto registration service called C.A.R.S. (California Auto Registration Service) to get through the DMV with a Model T registration. It took 2 weeks and cost $125. Worth every penny. The woman at CARS knows the right people in the DMV to get things done. Doing it myself on a previous car took 8 months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

Jon I am very aware of Mass - NH - Mass method and know some folks that have done it. :-)

The best method is to register the vehicle in NH and then sell it back to Mass.
In some cases moving the vehicle to NH so the local police can "verify the Motor number" makes it even easier.
Having a friend that lives in a small town and is in "good standing" with the chief helps even more.

If I were to do it for someone I would do it the easy easy way -
make out a bill of sale -
move the vehicle to NH -
have the number verified -
register it in NH -
sell it back to Mass with a bill of sale.

Some may complain about having to spend a few dollars to move the vehicle (antique registration is cheap) but in the end you have a vehicle that with a clear Mass title and someone has a bran new NH license plate to hang in the garage.
If the timing was correct you could theoretically do it in one day but the stars would have to aligned perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 02:59 pm:

With my luck I would sell the car to a "friend" for a dollar and they wouldn't sell it back!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration